Powershots w/ or w/out baffles - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Powershots w/ or w/out baffles

I finally picked up some powershots!! Now on to installing them. It seems basic and easy to do. My question is: how do they sound w/ baffles compared to w/out? If I were to remove them I'd want to before installing everything. I want to be significantly louder than stock but I don't want to be the guy that everyone loathes when he rides by. I don't need to be obnoxiously loud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Ok got em installed, piece of cake, baffles in and they sound awesome! Exactly what I was looking for. This bike finally sounds like what it is...the big kid on the block.
Toddster likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 05:15 AM

Garage
Hi
I have the power shots on mine as well and love them.
I did pull the baffles out ( with a lot of work ) and I think they are better for it.
To get theM out you have to pull, push them back in to free the stuffing, and pull and twist all over again many times.
Having done it, I think it was worth it, but dam it was an effort. When I got them out, there is a welsh type cap on the end. Cut the welds and tap it off. I re rapped the end 3 or so inches in more muffle glass. No different in sound, but it had to flow better ( less restrictive )

Enjoy Your Ride ( I do )
Terry
PS Tilt your windscreen back to the fork angle, much better air flow :-)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 08:28 AM

i have the power shots as well. remove the baffles. and ill give you the short hand on the good and bad.

Good.
1.this bike sounds so amazing with out the baffles.
2. loud pipes save lives
3. um....well...yea its awsome.
4. the bass and rumble from these pipes are pretty great.

the bad
1. the thing that i noticed most is you dont get the ungodly loud noise until decelerating. i can romp on it and it still puts out the sound but it doubles when slowing. this can be a good or bad thing. i can make my bike creep if i need to make it quite by riding the clutch while slowing down .
2. people prefer that i ride in the back which im fine with. i like riding anchor. but if another rider in just behind me on the right side they say the sound thats put out behind the bike is pretty deafening at highway speeds.
3. popping, i didnt notice it with the baffles but once they are out you notice some light popping. this is normal popping that was always happening but with out the baffles its just more noticeable. or you might hear a touch more popping just because the back flow pressure is less now. but it dont bother me too much.

all and all id say remove it. it breaths a bit better and they sound great. i wasnt so sure of these pipes till i removed the baffles then they really wowed me.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Top Contributor

I have Powershots and, IMO, you'd be "that guy" if you had the baffles pulled out.
Headstill likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:05 AM

My 2007 V2K with Powershots

I took my baffles out to dynotune the bike. It is really loud
I am thinking about putting Smartpartz quiet baffles in the tailpipe to get some back pressure back on the bike. We tuned it and started out with 75.94 HP and 109.09 max torque with the baffles in. After 2 more times dynotuning with baffles out we got it up to 91.61 HP and 126.08 max torque.

Problem is, we now have excessive backfiring on acceleration. I found an air leak at the air intake and I am repairing the seal this weekend. If that does not stop the accel backfiring then I am adding the Smartpartz baffle.

If that fails to stop the backfiring then it may be back to stock exhaust

But I do love the sound and performance at idle and at highway speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kawasaki.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	166378  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

yep I think I'll keep the baffles in. The last thing I want to mess with is constant backfiring. I need to put a fuel processor in now. I bought an fi2000 "for parts" which just had the wires stripped out of the harness for $20 a while back. Soldered in new wires and installed it yesterday and it still doesnt work :/ but I'm not out much. So i ordered a new one. Too much backfiring to not add one though
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctictor View Post
I took my baffles out to dynotune the bike. It is really loud
I am thinking about putting Smartpartz quiet baffles in the tailpipe to get some back pressure back on the bike. We tuned it and started out with 75.94 HP and 109.09 max torque with the baffles in. After 2 more times dynotuning with baffles out we got it up to 91.61 HP and 126.08 max torque.

Problem is, we now have excessive backfiring on acceleration. I found an air leak at the air intake and I am repairing the seal this weekend. If that does not stop the accel backfiring then I am adding the Smartpartz baffle.

If that fails to stop the backfiring then it may be back to stock exhaust

But I do love the sound and performance at idle and at highway speeds.

i have little to no back firing issues. and def none on Acceleration . few questions and suggestions

1. is your bike marbled? ( blocking off the vac lines that run extra air to your exhaust cause it to burn excess fuel. i back fire bad when air starts moving through these and i need to replaced the plugs ive put on them. )
2. have you considered replacing your stock air filter box? i have a baron open air letting more air come in since more air is going out. you might have a fuel mix issue since it can only suck in so much air making it run rich.
3. i also run "the bully" fuel management system. works like a FI2000 or power commander more or less. combining one of these with a open air intake should net you a pretty nice performance upgrade.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcharger View Post
i have little to no back firing issues. and def none on Acceleration . few questions and suggestions

1. is your bike marbled? ( blocking off the vac lines that run extra air to your exhaust cause it to burn excess fuel. i back fire bad when air starts moving through these and i need to replaced the plugs ive put on them. )Thanks for your input, much appreciated. I do not know what marbleing is.
2. have you considered replacing your stock air filter box? i have a baron open air letting more air come in since more air is going out. you might have a fuel mix issue since it can only suck in so much air making it run rich. I should have said in my post that I have a K/N filter on it. I am pretty sure we have the air fuel mix right per the dyno but after I get the airbox sealed we will check it again.
3. i also run "the bully" fuel management system. works like a FI2000 or power commander more or less. combining one of these with a open air intake should net you a pretty nice performance upgrade.
I also have a power commander USB.

The dealer just called and said that the seal for the airbox is on backorder. He said they located one in Canada so I hope they can get it for me. I believe that seal may solve lots of my problems. If you can advise me on "marbling" I would appreciate that as well.

Last edited by sctictor; 06-10-2016 at 01:11 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctictor View Post
I also have a power commander USB.

The dealer just called and said that the seal for the airbox is on backorder. He said they located one in Canada so I hope they can get it for me. I believe that seal may solve lots of my problems. If you can advise me on "marbling" I would appreciate that as well.
off hand this link is a simple explain. you can do the mod yourself for less then 10 bucks. for me i use a small vac line hose attached to the port because some times its hard to fit your fingers around the gaps and then plug that with a vac hose cap with a bit of black tape around it to hold it snug. if i can find the link with photos later ill try to post it. but if you google vn2000 marbling im sure you can find more detailed info. its a pretty common mod done. all those lines are there for are emissions mostly useless except to cause a bunch of damn noise. also this site has a lot of simple and easy notes about the vn2000

Marbles in Air Injection Hoses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode