Dead in the water..a little help please - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Dead in the water..a little help please

Ok here are the particulars:
'07 V2K LT
Riding,, had been starting fine.
Stopped for a soda, shut down and go inside the store.
Come back out, turn Switch key and NOTHING. No lights of any kind or sounds, horn won't blow.
Did visual check of fuses, battery, cables, starter relay. Nothing jumps out at you.
Wait a bit, turn the key, and it's alive. At least until I hit the starter button.
Bike has just over 8k on it.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 PM
BOTM Winner
October 2016

Check connections and fuses. Bad ground possibly. Test the battery, they give out. Move to looking for corrosion inside the switch housing and headlight bucket. Most people have issues with the lower regulator /rectifier and it's connections. Best of luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 05:21 AM

as Rod said but probably start with the battery. a multi meter will tell you most of what you need. test battery voltage with key off. should be at least 12.5v. key on similar. hit the starter and if it disappears i would suspect the battery( multi leads direct to battery) if battery is suspect it would also pay to check charging voltage when you get bike going in case this is the cause.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

If you look back at trentonc's post "dirty fuse=drag ign. from 2 days ago my scoot did exactly the same, only without the eventual start and the priest. Last night had my fluke on it as descibed, hit the starter button and it went to 0. I put my battery tender on it and I'll check some more this evening after work. Thanks guys.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Lifetime Premium

Hi copperhead.....crappy luck. Since I cleaned the fuses, I haven't had it on the road. Work and weather have conspired to keep me off the road. Of course, the weather is currently awesome and I'm 3 hrs away from my [email protected]#&$!.
Anyways, all I did was cycle/start it a few times to check and it fired up being fine. That being said, as long as it's too crappy to ride I want to check a few more things so I don't get stranded.
1) I'm going to pull off the speedo/switch housing and check those connections. The fact that I had full power from the battery to my aftermarket power-point indicates that the battery shouldn't be an issue.
2) I'll pull apart the starter button just to check for corrosion, but the starter button wasn't part of my issue. I hadn't done anything other than turn the key and it was dead.
3) It appeared that when I pulled the decomp fuse suddenly power went to the key. I'm going to try replicating that by pulling the fuse while it's on, see if all power to the key/lcd disappears when I pull it.
4) I'll be poking around looking for shorts/poor connections at the fusebox, rectifier, etc. I've putzed with all sorts of things on this beast over the winter so I cannot completely rule out that I'm responsible for this.
I'll let you what/if I learn anything during my exploration..........

06 V2K Classic Lt
HardKrome Big Straights
Kurakyn Hypercharger Intake
Dynojet Power Commander 3
Mustang seats.......
Therapy on 2 wheels with a comfy seat...

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Good info. Just thought it was weird they both did it within a day or so.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 09:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

Personally, I felt the old girl just wanted to embarrass me in front of all the other bikers... Lol. What was really funny though, was the 2 Harley riders I started out with. One died 50ft. from his driveway with a short that fried his battery, the other stalled out 1/2 way to the rally. I was so close to joking about Hardly Riding, but held my tongue. I woulda eaten much crow on top of the bugs that day...... Lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

06 V2K Classic Lt
HardKrome Big Straights
Mustang seats.......

Last edited by TrentonC; 05-26-2016 at 09:55 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Yep, must be something about these bikes that causes your brain to mouth filter to quit when around hd guys.lol Anyway, went darkside with the general gmax as03. Love it. Really can't tell it most of the time. On another track (hardly d related), the guy that owns the local shop rides a powder blue 04. Told me he had a bunch pass him on I-77 last Sunday. He caught them easy, then they wanted to run. Said he let them get out about 1/4 mile and laid into it. Claimed 160 mph by his gps when he went by them. He still runs N.A. gears, Factory exhaust. Had added a hyper charger and power commander 3. Since he owns his own Dino it shows close 2 160hp and 185 torque. Don't know how to take that but if true my God! Dude is in his late 60s.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Haha, awesome! That ride was the first time I'd went with these guys, and TBH most of my riding is solo quiet time. My schedule has really screwed me over from joining weekend ride-arounds. Had to laugh, because when all was said and done my buddy was telling me how loud it was. I goosed it a couple times and he said it was damn near deafening from behind. (I'm never there, so who knew?) and he also commented that when I gave her some juice from intersections he couldn't believe how much it pulled off the line (and I'm not the most aggressive drive) He drives a tricked out '99 springer (absolutely beautiful bike) and his cousin who broke down was on a 70K custom chopper build that apparently flies......hopefully next time we ride I'll be able to see where my Beast compares to the monster custom job.....

06 V2K Classic Lt
HardKrome Big Straights
Mustang seats.......

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

This old boy told me that he knew of any stock hd other than a vrod could run with a v2k. He also doesn't think a S&S 131" would do a whole lot. His opinion is that a HD is going to have to have some serious performance mods to keep up. My own experiences lately I tend to agree. My younger brother is a die hard harley guy, and I've told him I don't care what you ride. Just don't Park it in the shop and spend all your free time waxing it. Just ride the damn thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode