New Rider-Vulcan as gift-tail lights dont work - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Silencer69

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question New Rider-Vulcan as gift-tail lights dont work

Good Afternoon!

Without getting so long winded, ill put the long story short!

My birthday is coming up, and my wife surprised me with my endorsement class, and a 2004 KAWASAKI VN2000A1 VULCAN. It was purchased from a family friend who has been diagnosed with Crone's, has gotten worse and can no longer ride. Living by the coast it was not stored as well as it should have been so there are some rust issues, but I will work on that.

My close friend was nice enough to ride it back to Springfield for me, and as we got on our way we noticed the lights were not working at all. The headlight/front blinkers decided to kick themselves into gear, but by the time we got home the tail brake and blinkers refuse to work.

I know 0 about bikes and how they work yet. I found the fuses and checked them, they all look fine.

My next step will be to replace the lights. Now I found two things this may just be the cure, but I wanted to inquire.

First-the turn signal bulbs look liek they may have gotten slight water damage, so it makes sense to replace them.

Second-im attaching a photo for reference. Ive never seen an LED board like this before, and behind the wiring there is a TON of electrical tape. Which makes me think this wasn't the original setup. Could this be the cause?

I apologize for probably sounding so silly, I don't have a ton of close friends who ride, so im limited for help.

Any questions I will do my best to answer. Thank you everyone for any help or guidance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	163418  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Loose wire or no relay. When you add LED's you need a relay. I would start by tracing the wires to see where they go and then get the right type of connectors.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you GFISH. I will try that tonight and see if I make any head way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 08:37 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 kawasaki Vulcan 2000 limited
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Red/Black ("Black Cherry")
Garage
Check the primary rear wiring connection as well. just under your seat on the right side is a large grey connector used when rear fender is removed. Could just be loose.
smedlin likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 11:14 AM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFISH View Post
Loose wire or no relay. When you add LED's you need a relay. I would start by tracing the wires to see where they go and then get the right type of connectors.
Actually, that looks like one of those integrated run-turn-stop LED lights... I had one on my bike for awhile.

You don't need any relay for it...it came with one built in.

(Several people here have had that same light...)

The fact that they DIDN'T work.. then "kicked in".. and then some stopped working... you have something lose.. either a connector or wiring.. something.

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Would get a can of contact cleaner and start at the back and trace wires to next connection. Unplug it and spray with contact cleaner. Do this till you reach the main harness, should be near battery. Are you comfortable with electrical work? Do you have a meter? Thats a big bike to start on. Be safe and good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Would get a can of contact cleaner and start at the back and trace wires to next connection. Unplug it and spray with contact cleaner. Do this till you reach the main harness, should be near battery. Are you comfortable with electrical work? Do you have a meter? Thats a big bike to start on. Be safe and good luck.
Wanted to give an update as its been a few months.

Well I still have a really expensive lawn ornament. I've had a few different people assist me with the bike, and here's where we stand. The front head light ONLY turns on when I kill the bike....which makes 0 sense to me, seems like a backwards wiring issue? And specifically only works when I kill it, but before I turn the bike OFF. High beam low beam switch works totally fine with it when this is happening.

Back lights I have gotten to all function, and work fine EXCEPT when I turn a turn signal on, they all blink in unison together. Brake light functions normally otherwise.

So legally I still cant ride this thing. Rick, I have 0 experience with wiring or electrical. I do have a meter my father lent me so ive been testing everything I can find. There is still a few wires (wish I had a picture but im not where I can take one) that are just laying under my seat, but don't seem to have a place to plug them in. Discovered a larger orange wire connector yesterday while my father and I were working on it, its been terribly burnt and have the wires have been cut-0 idea as to if this is even important.

The important things all get power, but don't function how I need them to. Terribly frustrated and cant afford what I assume would be a costly trip to a shop, and ive already been paying on this loan for 3 months.

And yes I know its a big bike to start on, im a little intimidated but I know its just gonna take practice to get comfortable. I will say pushing this guy is quite the workout, I'm a little concerned about the day I lay it down. I'm a big guy but sheesh. ha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode