anyone tried car tires on their vn2000 yet? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

anyone tried car tires on their vn2000 yet?

I am thinking of changing out the rear tire on my vn2000 with a sport car tire size 205/60/16. A friend of mine has done this already with his honda rune and is really happy with the results. any opinions are very appreciated

thanks, phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Our first "Darkside" thread, lol! I honestly don't have a "hands-on" opinion, I've seen some do it with great success, while others hated it. If it works for you and your riding style, then go for it, but, do your research, all car tires are not created equally. The 2 most popular are the Kelly Fuzion 205/60 - ZR16 and the Goodyear Triple Tread in 225/55 - 16.

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
post #3 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 AM

Smile SIde by Side

Here is a 240 Metz next to a Nitto 225/50. I bought the Metz on sale for just under 200.00 delivered, and got the Nitto for 28.00 plus shipping on Ebay. They say the life of the Metz will be 5000-8000 miles and the Nitto 20,000 +. I have the Metz on now. Will have to wait and see about the Nitto.

Mag44Laf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1842.jpg
Views:	1538
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	278  

post #4 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to bhoisington
Would think as flat as the car tire is, it would throw the handling off some. Would be very curious to see how it works for you.
post #5 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 02:54 AM

Another popular car tire is the Cooper Zeon 2XS 205/55ZR16. It is a high performance summer tire that has more rounded edges than some of the other ones guys are using. Stay away from the all seasons because they tend to be squishier than the performance tires with stiffer sidewalls. Most guys that have tried several different sizes, say that the wider they are, the more they follow ruts and grooves. I personally will be getting a 205, and not any wider.

I have seen the Coopers ridden real hard, with no ill effects. I ride fairly aggressive myself, and will be getting the Cooper Zeon 2XS 205/55ZR16 as soon as my stocker is worn out, which will probably be another 2K.

I would already have one but, exactly one month from the day I picked up my new V2K, I hurt my back at work. I only got 3700 miles in during that month.

Things are looking better with my back, so as soon as I get my new pipes, TFI, and Thunder air kit installed, I'll be back in the saddle again!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
post #6 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 09:12 AM

Exclamation

I ran a car tire on my honda Valkyrie for quite some time and I did not really like it. The tire deflects when you lean contrary to the belief that it rolls up on the edge. This deflection it always trying to correct itself and right the bike, so it takes more steering input to hold the bike in the leaned over position. (no big deal right?)

Second; it "bump steers" on a road with ruts, when one side of the tire is risen or lowered it deflects the direction of the bike because the tire tries to remain flat and also the center line is shifted. All motorcycles do this but to a much lesser degree when fitted with a MC tire.
Third; The back of the bike 'lifts' when leaned over.
The rear tire must! follow the front (no exceptions here). The tire has no taper (meaning no slope form the center to the sides) so the centering of the bike must shift up toward the high side because even though they deflect it is not enough to prevent this. Making S turns you can feel the back shifting up first in one direction then the other. This is a very weird sensation!! I would bet the front tire wear is increased because of the extra pressure on the handlebar needed to maintain a leaned over position (the more lean the more pressure).
Other than cost and greater tire life I see no advantage to running a car tire. Some people claim better stopping in the rain? I don't see this myself, looks like more of a hydroplane issue to me.
And finally!!!
This is a modification that would never be authorized by any knowledgeable/reputable source. The significance of this is your insurance company may deny your claim because you modified your motorcycle in such a way that it is deemed unsafe. So check with them. (Ask me how I know this if interested)

P.S. I would have liked to run a car tire if at all possible.
post #7 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 08:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to 1BDVLCN
If you are going straight all the time then a car tire is fine. You lose surface grip in a corner though. I switched out to AVON Cobras with great success and a longer life.
post #8 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BDVLCN View Post
If you are going straight all the time then a car tire is fine. You lose surface grip in a corner though. I switched out to AVON Cobras with great success and a longer life.
I never noticed any loss of grip in the corners. It would still scrape so I did not loose any cornering ability.
Straight line was ok unless the road was rutted.

07 vn2000LT
post #9 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 10:01 PM

Car tires

I found this to be interesting

http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/...eDarkSide.html
post #10 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 11:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to 1BDVLCN
Nice atricle

I'm not saying it wont' work. I am saying from personal experience with a car tire on the back of an 04 VN2000 I was able to consitently break traction in a corner that would not have happened with a stock bike tire. Maybe it is riding style or bike style or tire style but to me there was a loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode