Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Handlebar bar end plug

10K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  MotorcycleGeek 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! I'm a new Vulcan S owner from The Netherlands and I've got a question about the bar end section of the handlebars.

When I remove the bar end weights, which is no problem, there seems to be some plug in which you screw in the bolt to attach the weights. Is it in any way possible to remove those plugs or do I need to drill them out or something like that? I want to install nice bar end mirrors from the brand 'Highsider' (model Victory), but for that I need to use an adapter that should go inside the handlebar to clamp it tight.

I attached a couple pictures of this 'plug' thingy to this post. It's from both the left and right side of the handlebar.
I took a better look at them and they seem to be welded in there?
So far I think my only option would be, if I really really want those mirrors on, to cut or grind off the ends so it will make the handlebar ends open..

To see photos, click here: imgur.com/a/GYQV1fu
I'm still to new to link images :(

EDIT: I took a better look at them and they seem to be welded in there?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think they can be removed, however mirrors can still be installed using the screws you removed. Most mirrors have a plug/screw option.

From my personal experience, when I tried to replace the bar ends with custom (nicer) ones, vibrations increased consideably. I wouldn't recommend removing the original bar ends.

#3 ·
Well the mirrors I ordered do come with a bolt, but it's a smaller diameter than the original ones used for the weights that come on the bike. So unfortunately I can't reuse them.

I did some extra searching on the internet and apparantly it's quite common with Kawasaki handlebars that they weld in the adapter plug where the weights get bolted into (Triumph also does this). I also found that it is actually possible to remove them. You need to use a dremel to cut the tag-welds that hold it in place and after you can slide them out. People that have done that don't really experience more vibrations. And the mirrors I want to mount are a bit weighty aswell and not cheap (60$ a piece).

I was hoping someone on the forums here had the same issue I'm having and did remove the adapter plugs :)

#5 ·
I have little round cheapos threaded into the plugs, and have to change them out as the bars do seem to vibrate a bit (you notice overtime) without the weighted bar ends. I kept the bunny ears and put them on with the weights and it was smoother...I just don't like bunny ears. My plans, (yours for 2 Cents) leave the weights on and clamp over.

#6 ·
I actually bought a pair of mirrors with nice green CNC aluminum backs (matches my 2018 pearl gray theme), but ended up throwing them in the trash because the image quality was inferior to the ugly stock ears. The stock mirrors and stock weights work well, so I think I'm leaving mine on.

#10 ·
Throttle Tamer

Skol, I read a reply that you installed a Throttle Tamer on your Vulcan S to smooth the throttle out. I was excited to hear this. I have read several things about how to smooth the throttle out on a Vulcan S, everything from a Booster Plug (which takes a lot time and effort to install plus taking half the bike apart) or changing the exhaust. How well does the Throttle Tamer work. If you wouldn't mind giving an explanation on how you installed it, does it come with instructions. I'm going to get one for my Vulcan S, the jerky throttle gets tiring.

Thanks

#11 ·
A small update from my side. I'm ditching the plans of cutting off the welded in threads. I was too scary to mess something up with that and cause unwanted vibrations or anything like that.

My next plan of action is the following. I found out that the brand I got the mirrors of also sells a version that clamps on handlebars. And I noticed that between my grips and bar end weights is a small gap of handlebar. So I ordered the other version (and refunded the bolt in version). I expect them to arrive somewhere this week and I will let you know how it went!

I do have one question though. I might need to move the whole grips + controls clusters a bit to the inside of the handlebars (move it like 5mm) to create just that bit of extra room to mount the mirror clamps. Is that possible? I know some brands use a pin that goes in a small hole in the bars to secure the position of the grips + control clusters.

ps. The mirrors look like this:

#14 ·
Another update for people interested or stumbling upon this thread. I managed to install the new bar-end mirrors that clamp around a bar(end)! :D

I did it a bit different than should be done. I didn't clamp them around the handlebar itself, because then I had to move the grips and control clusters a bit inward to make room and such and I didn't want to do that. But, I have once ordered those fake Arrows bar end mirrors (the sort of triangle ones) from China which came with bar ends that the mirrors mounted on. These were perfect! Not just because they were the same diameter as the handlebars (7/8 inch), but also that I could bolt them in the hole where the original bar end weights are bolted in. Only downside is that I destroyed one of the tiny bolts that tighten the mirror clamp... but luckily my girlfriends father is handy and helped me fix that.

So here's the result! I'm really happy with them with how they look. Still have to go for a drive, but it's raining cats and dogs out here...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.