Venom triple tree head stand front wheel clearance - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Triggery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan S ABS
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: Black
Garage
Venom triple tree head stand front wheel clearance

Hello,
I recently purchased the ol' venom front/rear stand combo on amazon. I instead of the free spools/head pin set #1 combo(

), i got the one with the correct head pin set (the #2 set comes with the 27mm pin needed for the vulcan S).

Head pin set costs 25$, GOOD spools can be had for less than $20, and the spools in the set really didnt do it for me. They looked hella chintzy.

Now, i know the description seems a bit misleading, but all my research on the part numbers indicates the only difference between the one i bought and the one with the free spools is the head pin set / lack of spools. Part number for mine = SMI6010+SMI3020-U-P2-V09. part number for the free spool set = SMI6010+3020-U+SPL-003. I can find no difference in the dimensions of any part of the stands other than the headpin diameters, so i feel confident that im in the clear here.

NOW THAT IVE THOROUGHLY CONFUSED EVERYBODY, heres my issue.

After raising the rear end, which works great with over an inch clearance, the front head lift isnt high enough to pull the front wheel off the ground.

Am i doing something wrong? Do i need to be on a PERFECTLY FLAT AND LEVEL surface? I used my sidewalk which is maybe 1/2 inch higher under the rear than the front, but since the level is all relative, i cant see that being the real culprit. When i push the front end up with he headlift, i can watch the forks decompress, keeping the front tire in contact with the ground. Im thinking maybe a layer or two of plywood under the front stand would do the trick, but id like to ask here first. Who knows, it may be possible my fork travel is out of whack, but i'd like to refrain from using my Jump To Conclusions Mat just yet.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:16 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: (SOLD) Kawasaki Vulcan S [Harley-Davidson FLXTRS Road Glide Special]
Displacement/CC's: 107 (1746cc)
Color: Bonneville Salt Pearl
Post pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan S ABS
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: Black
Garage
ok so i moved to my driveway and had the same result. it looks like the headstand lift attachment is just too short.
overall pic:

front head lift, tire still on ground:

here are before and after fork compression shots.
resting no lift ~4.25in

head lift uncompressed still touching ground ~5in:

so i gave up and used the fork stand:

The headlift attachment i have is the same one as what is sold seperately under model number SMI3020-U-P2 (the P2 indicating pin kit #2). at its tallest, it measures 20in at the top of the U perpendicular from the ground. When attached to the front stand, the whole deal is 30 inches tall.

In conclusion: The headlift attachment simply isnt tall enough to pull my vulcan S off the ground.
I have researched and found, as i did before, that the main tube hardware for all the stand parts is the same dimension regardless of model number. the only differences in model numbers are slight and indicate different attachments included - spool lift vs paddle and which headpin kit is included (#1 or #2) being the only variables.

So, has anyone here successfully used the venom headlift stand on their vulcan S? All my searches turn up inconclusive, with the vast majority of demos being the rear lift. I have yet to see documented proof. If you have proof, please provide any relevant model numbers and dimensions.

Right now, im going to keep the whole deal as it technically works just fine. im pretty sure i can use the headlift with my other bike.

Thanks.
B3Hulk likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:25 PM
Top Contributor

Good to know Triggery. I have the Venom fork stand and was contemplating getting the triple tree attachment for it. After your experience, I'm glad I didn't. Also, those Venom stands are not really for cruiser motorcycles. They are listed for sport bikes only.
If you ask, they'll tell you they are not recommended for cruisers. The weight of the KVS is pretty much 500 lbs, which is close to the limit of these stands. The fork stand won't work on my Vulcan 800C because the forks are too wide. I use the rear stand on it and at 515 lbs (plus about another 30 lbs of accessories), it's shakey, to say the least.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Nomad , 1985 BMW K100 X2 , 1985 Intruder, 1998 Ducati Monster, 1972 CL350, 1948 Indian CZ125, 2
Displacement/CC's: 125 -1500
Color: Blue & Silver , Black , Gray , Maroon,black,
Garage
I went with the Pitbull triple tree stand and have no issue. Of course it cost a bit more 😥

That which does not kill me tends to really piss me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode