• 1 Post By texasnurse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
LAF

Year/Make/Model: 2015 BMW R1200 RTWC
Displacement/CC's: 1200
Color: San Marino Blue
New battery in a 15 ABS

Well Patricia works so hard and has little time to ride her battery takes a beating.

For the first 2 years she was getting a fair amount of miles and I did not use a tender on it. I should have as I think it was the beginning of the end.

Lesson for me to tend her battery from the beginning. No reason not to with my new Optimate 6.

So I searched and found little on replacement battery's.

I found two. One from MotoBat and the other Yuasa.

I chose the Yuasa YTZ10S as it had the highest (190)CCA I could find. It also is a gel battery and that is cool.

It was more then the MotoBat by a lot (40 bucks) but I had a bad experience with MotBat a few years ago and it left a bad taste in my mouth. MotoBat was 60 something and the Yuasa 100 bucks and right of Amazon.

Also Yuasa makes their own battery. They are not produced by one of the few battery manufactures there are and then a Yuasa label applied. They produce the battery and that is a plus.

So about 4 years on a abused battery here in PA where we have winter and stay in the teens and below zero for a time in a decent winter.

So hope it gives other a lead on where to start looking for battery's. I do see them as a wear item and replace them as a matter of course every 4-5 years. I mean you pay 100 bucks for a batter and run it for 4 years @25 bucks a year is fair to me. I am willing to pay that to not have to worry about a battery on the road with Patricia. Not like your gonna find this size battery at any auto parts store.

Batteries Plus or whatever had a no name but is was low on CCA and a name I never heard of.

Well been a bit since I posted. Patricia loves the bike and her and her Dad and I are going to the BMW Motorcycle National in Tennessee this year as one of our trips. What a wonderful bike it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawaski Vulcan S ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 649cc
Color: Blue
My 16' abs battery is showing its age. For two years I let it alone. With only 4600 miles or so it's harder to start. I now leave it on battery tender. And she cranks fine now. The heat in Miami kills batteries. None of my lease cars in 15 years have ever made it to the three year mark on factory battery. Dont care, Im Always under factory warranty.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawaski Vulcan S ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 649cc
Color: Blue
Do you have to pour your own liquid inside or is it sealed? I heard it comes in two flavors. Whose Patricia? My bike is named Lucifer to piss off my wife lol

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:02 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
Sealed is the ONLY way to go.
Never have to check and find - oops - the thing is low on water!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 29,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Displacement/CC's: 650
Garage
My battery is starting to fade after 4 yrs. I found I need to dim the aftermarket riding lights that come on when I power up before pushing the ignition button to make sure it starts first go. It's faltered a couple time recently and needed the second kick to get it going.
I've been looking at a Lithium option. The CCA's are very impressive and it's super light but it comes with a hefty price tag.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:05 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: (SOLD) Kawasaki Vulcan S [Harley-Davidson FLXTRS Road Glide Special]
Displacement/CC's: 107 Stage II(1745)
Color: Bonneville Salt Pearl
New battery in a 15 ABS

Put it on a battery Tender when not in use. I use a Battery Tender Jr 1.25amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VulcanHead likes this.

Last edited by texasnurse; 04-18-2019 at 06:15 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Top Contributor

I always use a battery tender. As soon as my bikes cooled off and in the garage, on the tender it goes. Iíve got a 2005 with the original battery. Never a problem.
A couple of people I work with complain every spring that their bike battery is dead and wonít hold a charge now. So they buy a new one at $120 and repeat the complaint the following spring, saying that the batteries are no good. I canít for the life of me, convince them to use a $35 battery tender, but $120 each spring is no big deal? People are [email protected]#%d!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
LAF

Patricia is my wolf, I mean wife. It is her Bike.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
LAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Evil View Post
My battery is starting to fade after 4 yrs. I found I need to dim the aftermarket riding lights that come on when I power up before pushing the ignition button to make sure it starts first go. It's faltered a couple time recently and needed the second kick to get it going.
I've been looking at a Lithium option. The CCA's are very impressive and it's super light but it comes with a hefty price tag.
I would love to use a lithium option. However in the cold they are very much a pain. You have to "excite" the battery by turning lights on for a bit in the cold before you try to start. Here in PA where we have 4 Seasons it wont work well. A friend had one here and it just was not a good battery for cold.

They are expensive and very light. I have no idea on longevity but it is not too bad at a 100 bucks ever 4 or 5 years for a AGM. Not sure how many AGM you can buy for the cost of lithium? I am thinking AGM is cost effective in our climate.

Oh the battery was filled as received. It was charged also. I did put it on the Optimate 6 overnight. After removing the batter charger and 24 hours later the battery at rest, it tested at 13.53

Last edited by LAF; 04-18-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode