2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2019 Vulcan S ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: Blue
Garage
Question Gear position indicator missing wire

I bought the gear position indicator with my bike (Before I knew that it had the revised instrument cluster that included a gear indicator) and decided I'm too cheap to pay the dealer to install it. So I went to go put it in with the horrible directions that come with the part, and I get to the point where the fuel tank is off and you can see the main wire harness, and the directions claim there is a plug there (with a picture) and to plug the indicator into that... Well on my 2019 the spot that's in the pic is there, but the connector is nowhere to be found. There's a similar one to the one the directions indicate down by the battery, but there's 0% chance the wire will reach that far, so that can't be it, anyone know what I'm messing up?

In the pic where it says "Connector cap" there's nothing but an empty bracket and no wire/plug nearby that isn't already in use
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vulcan Wire.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	227454  

Hail to the king baby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:00 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: (SOLD) Kawasaki Vulcan S [Harley-Davidson FLXTRS Road Glide Special]
Displacement/CC's: 107 (1746cc)
Color: Bonneville Salt Pearl
Return it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I already have the majority of it put together and installed, and it's more eye-catching than the built-in one the display has, so not only would I prefer to keep it, not sure they would take it back at this point anyway

Hail to the king baby

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:30 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Nomad , 1985 BMW K100 X2 , 1985 Intruder, 1998 Ducati Monster, 1972 CL350, 1948 Indian CZ125, 2
Displacement/CC's: 125 -1500
Color: Blue & Silver , Black , Gray , Maroon,black,
Garage
If I recall there's two places that you can connect the gear indicator to.

That which does not kill me tends to really piss me off.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearslayer View Post
If I recall there's two places that you can connect the gear indicator to.
The only thing I've found is the diagnostic port by the battery, it even looks like the one in the picture, and it's where aftermarket gear indicators plug in, but the wire is nowhere near long enough to reach that

Hail to the king baby
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:40 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Displacement/CC's: 649 cc
Color: Green
Garage
I thought it plugs in behind the headlight. I don't have the gear indicator but I did the DC outlet myself and seem to remember another unused plug tucked away when I was finished. This was 3 years ago though and like I said I don't have the gear indicator, so I could easily be wrong.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:20 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016/Kawasaki/Vulcan S ABS
Displacement/CC's: 649
Color: Urban White
Garage
Gear position indicator missing wire

Ok...two things.

1) The stock plug in previous years WAS located under the fuel tank and is only compatible with the OEM accessory gear position indicator...the second socket has been used by many of us with older Vulcan S bikes and is wired a bit differently (the one on the left side near the battery tray...itís the diagnostics connector)...and no, the OEM GPI wires will not reach it.

2) Itís likely that Kaw changed the wiring harness once the GPI was integrated into the instrument cluster...someone with a 2018-19 bike please chime in on this.

That being said, why do you want TWO GPIís...easier to see? If so, get an aftermarket one and connect it to the diagnostics socket.

My previous thread on aftermarket GPI install; in post #11 of that thread is a pic of where the connector under the tank is/was.

Alternative gear indicator for Vulcan S
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Electrical Engineer
2014 HD FLHTK
2013 BMW K1600GTL
2016 Vulcan S ABS

Last edited by rangemaster728; 03-18-2019 at 08:30 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:28 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS Cafe
Color: Pearl Storm Gray
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangemaster728 View Post
2) Itís likely that Kaw changed the wiring harness once the GPI was integrated into the instrument cluster...someone with a 2018-19 bike please chime in on this.
That's my understanding and how it is on my '18 as well. Once they integrated it into the dash, they no longer kept the harness under the tank. What I can't confirm is if the same harness is still there, but now plugged into something that eventually feeds the integrated gear indicator... If so, I wonder if it can be removed and used for the OEM accessory instead (without messing anything else up in the gauge cluster).

2 Wheels - 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS Cafe / 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 400 ABS
4 Wheels - 2013 Subaru BRZ Supercharged
4 Wheeler - 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:36 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016/Kawasaki/Vulcan S ABS
Color: Urban White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
That's my understanding and how it is on my '18 as well. Once they integrated it into the dash, they no longer kept the harness under the tank. What I can't confirm is if the same harness is still there, but now plugged into something that eventually feeds the integrated gear indicator... If so, I wonder if it can be removed and used for the OEM accessory instead (without messing anything else up in the gauge cluster).

Foo:

I agree...someone with an 18-19 Service Manual needs to check the wiring schematics to verify.

That being said I strongly suspect the gear position data is transmitted as a serial bus signal to the instrument cluster like the rest of the data is...and not easily extracted.

Perhaps a test is in order...take a Kaw GPI and make a test harness to wire it to the diagnostics connector and see if it functions. The pinout is different so a bit of measuring with a digital oscilloscope may be needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Electrical Engineer
2014 HD FLHTK
2013 BMW K1600GTL
2016 Vulcan S ABS
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangemaster728 View Post
1) The stock plug in previous years WAS located under the fuel tank and is only compatible with the OEM accessory gear position indicator...the second socket has been used by many of us with older Vulcan S bikes and is wired a bit differently (the one on the left side near the battery tray...itís the diagnostics connector)...and no, the OEM GPI wires will not reach it.

That being said, why do you want TWO GPIís...easier to see? If so, get an aftermarket one and connect it to the diagnostics socket.
Thanks for the reply. My GPI is the OE one from Kawasaki. The bracket for the plug is under the tank like in the pic, but the actual wire is missing. Other things I've noticed that differ from paperwork the plug in the back of the instrument cluster and one other thing I forget. As my bike is a 19 model, going to have to assume they changed it, though don't know why they would. As I bought the accessory with the bike, I dunno why they sold me the part when it won't work with my particular bike. At the time I bought it, I didn't know the GPI had been integrated into the instrument cluster, after I found out, I decided to use it anyway because it was bigger and easier to see at a glance, after having recently looked at the aftermarket available for it, IMO it looks better too. And I don't think they'll accept the return of this one at this point in any case, don't want to waste all the money I spent

Hail to the king baby

Last edited by ProxyJ; 03-18-2019 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode