Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2nd Break-In Period.

8K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Rhode King 
#1 ·
I just finish the first break-in period today for this wonderful bike, but I have a quick question about the 2nd break-In Period? For the first break-in period, I've been keeping it under 4rpm, and staying off the highway and changing gears alot. Now that I am done the first break-in, is it more flexible with constant speeds such as highway driving as long as I'm below the 6rpm rule, or should I try to stick with city driving until the 2nd break-in is finish?
I am not going to lie, I didn't think this would be a problem, but I live in such a small town and too get anywhere you have to take the highways...

Thank for the advice guys!

#2 ·
I was told by the service manager where I bought my bike, yes it was a kawi dealer, that the engine doesn't need a break in.
He said, this engine is ready to go out of the factory. Dude you can go 100 mph on the way home if you want to.
I didn't go 100 right away but I never worried about my speed or rpm. I have 3000 miles now and it runs just like it did the day I bought it.
Just my 2cents

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

#3 ·
User manual specifies a break in period, so not sure what that chap was talking about. Glad to hear it hasn't hurt your bike tho.

Once I got to the second period, I went on the motorways fine, hell was going on em during the first, just stuck to around 55mph. You can do 80mph in sixth at 6k rpm, which is faster than I should be on the motorways here!

#4 ·
I worried less about varying rpms in the 2nd break-in. As Mad-Larkin pointed out, the speed that 6k rpms allows is high enough that you can knock those remaining miles out fast. Personally after that I took it to full song a couple times throughout the gears then made the switch to full synthetic.

I was bit hard by the bug and put 6k miles on it by the first year, sitting just over 10k miles now. With regular oil and chain maintenance I've had no complaints out of her.

#14 ·
Dang skippy! I just got my "600 mile slow breaking & oil & filter change" done and I'm ready ride and shift more by sound and stop worrying over the rpms! VvvrrrRRRrrrooOOMMMMmmm
:nerd:

#7 · (Edited)
I just hit 1000 miles, and i stayed at 6k or below most of the time. only really going above when needed or for a little excitement. shes runnin like a champ and no issues. I wouldnt dog her out, follow the manual but have a little fun too, and get out of danger when you need to.

Hit the highway if your comfortable with it, she will handle it. at 6k you go about 80mph so you'll be fine on the highway.

~Phill

#11 ·
I had a hard time keeping below 4k for the first 400-500km.
Just about to hit 1000km and its first full service and have been riding it between 4k-5.5k.
I do a lot of city riding (10-40kmh) and short bursts (5-10min) of 80-100km closer to home.

Got a bizarre rattle at low rev. 4k in 3rd but think it is my radiator guard vibrating.

#12 ·
4-5k rpm seems alot to me. Purpose of slow 2st 600 miles us to prevent sumping small metal bits from breakin up into the motor. After 1st oil & filter change, drive varied speeds & temps to help seat valves & rings. Then, drive lie you stole it. 27k & counting, getting 47mpg at 70 mph with k&n air filter & royal purple oil, Michelin commander 2s max pressure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#13 ·
thanks. I just had my first oil/filter change and it was all good. Lucky nothing was found.
I guess these are a LAMS bike so they should be able to take some novice mistakes.
Will continue with sub 5k until I hit my next service...and then open it up.

#16 ·
First 600 miles seems eternal really. I am just at the midway. Though I stay below 4k rpm, avoid sudden rev ups or rev downs, I don't stay in a particular rev for so long. I constantly and slowly change rev.
On the other hand, I do it on the intercity roads to increase the mileage. So I don't change gears as often as stated. Will it do any harm in the future?

#18 ·
Hey Zero2505,

The Vulcan S is my first bike also

My Kawasaki dealer said about what you were told...follow the user manual (under 4K RPM for the first 600 miles and under 6K RPM until 1000 miles, and avoid constant rpm for long stints.)

I had my first maintenance done a little after 600 miles and had synthetic oil put in. I am at about 900 miles now and can't wait to get past 1000 miles! As with a lot of things, the user manual might be overly conservative, but I bought an extended warranty and figured I might as well play by their rules. :) Also it wouldn't surprise me if the computer stores your highest RPM....so who knows it could be traceable. For example, as I recall the owner manual mentions that the computer stores data in a crash.

Chris

#19 ·
My dealer said to stay under 5000 and I should be ok for 1st 600. I have to agree since staying under 4000 on this bike actually seems to be putting more stress on it than going over 4k. 350 miles on it now and I think I'll get the other 250 done in the next week or 2. 5k rpms puts me at 65mph so riding 6000 at 80mph will be plenty for this guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.