Tire size? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan S
Color: Black
Tire size?

Hi guys. It looks like it's about time to replace my tires. My gut says to go with something in the factory sizes, but I'm considering going slightly wider in the rear (like 170 instead of 160) in an effort to soften up the ride a bit. Since it's only a 10mm difference, I assume the rim could handle it, but I really don't know. I usually go with the manufacturer's specs on these things, but I am tempted. Has anyone done this?

On another, related, note--what are everyone's thoughts about replacing only the rear? I've heard you should always replace both, but it seems like a shame when the front still has life left in it.

Thoughts? Thanks!

P.S. Sorry if this has been discussed before. I tried searching and didn't turn up much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Displacement/CC's: 649 cc
Color: Green
Garage
As for the sizing I'm not sure how much you would notice a 10mm difference in width, equating to a 1mm difference in height.

If you decide to only replace the rear I would absolutely go back with the stock tire. I feel 2 rears to 1 front is generally acceptable.

For me when it was time to replace the rear I had been unhappy with the tire for a few thousand miles so I went Pirelli Angel GTs front and back, which I've been very happy with. As with anything though your smiles may vary. If you've been happy with the stock tires though I would recommend just sticking a new stock rear on and saving the $.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Just changed my stock stones w stock bridgestones,but that is just me,tend to leave my toys stock

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 08:11 PM

2 rear to 1 front is ok. I even mixed a radial Dunlop rear to the stock exedra bias front with No problem. Then went Dunlop front, but can't get radial front for the Nomad. Dunlops are superior ride, handling and performance, really stick to the road full lean & braking, But I could only get 8k rear and 12k miles front. Tired (pun intended) of changing tires riding 8k per year, I've gone to Michelin Command er 2s. Hard rubber slips on wet lane changes at 70 & lays rubber on quick starts, but 9k on the rear & still looks good. I've thought about larger rear, but sizes for my Nomad were limited, but I might try next set, asking my Kaw dealer. Still may go back to Dunlop. 4 bikes over 40 years of riding on Dunlop, except for the Exedras & these Michelins. Hmmm, best ride ( Dunlop) or longest lasting ( Michelin)???

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawaski Vulcan S ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 649cc
Color: Blue
My 3 cents

Sticky the better. At least in Florida. I burn thru car tires every 15k. We use summer tires. I went from neros to Goodyear and what a mistake. My 2016' 5.0 can hit the off ramp posted at 20mph at 50mph as it digs in
on the neros with the performance package I paid for. The Goodyear slide right under me with a slight kick of the pedal. 2000 bucks for the perf package using Goodyear was a mistake.its useless on those tires. Nero cost double but handling great. Bottom line. Oem is not always bad. I like the stock tires on my bike. Handles my fatass well in corners. I don't ride in wet so can't offer opinion
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:53 AM
Top Contributor

Displacement/CC's: 650
Garage
I'm guessing in SoCal you're going to have a similar climate to me. Between 5 and 45 degree C.
I only got 11,000km on the stock rear and currently up to 28,500km (17,500 tyre life) and counting on my Road Pilot 4's. Having said that it's on the markers but even in the torrential rain we've had, it still grips.

I found an increase in grip in both wet and dry compared to stock and they lasted way longer for just a 10% increase in price. It's a no brainer for me. I've already put one on the front after 23,000km and will put another one on the back again soon.
bearslayer likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:48 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
Displacement/CC's: 649
Color: Urban White
Garage
https://slickdeals.net/f/10004728-du...archBarV2Algo1

not sure how good these tires are, but it's ~$210 for the front & back Vulcan s tires.

1st bike - 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS - Urban White
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRidin View Post
As for the sizing I'm not sure how much you would notice a 10mm difference in width, equating to a 1mm difference in height.

If you decide to only replace the rear I would absolutely go back with the stock tire. I feel 2 rears to 1 front is generally acceptable.

For me when it was time to replace the rear I had been unhappy with the tire for a few thousand miles so I went Pirelli Angel GTs front and back, which I've been very happy with. As with anything though your smiles may vary. If you've been happy with the stock tires though I would recommend just sticking a new stock rear on and saving the $.
I am looking to get the Angel GTs, any feedback? Are they any good with cornering and the wet?

Check out my build :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OR
OR
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:20 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
stay with kawasaki stock tire sizes for your bike model, you can change brands but don't change sizes
bearslayer likes this.

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Displacement/CC's: 649 cc
Color: Green
Garage
@B3Hulk Yes and yes. I've been very happy with the Angel GTs. They stick like glue in the corners, even surprisingly well when a bit of gravel or sand sneak up on you.

In the wet it's a night and day difference compared to the stock Dunlops, which inspired zero confidence. The painted lines and tarmac snakes are still a bit slippery but if you find a tire without that problem please let me know. One day I may tryout the Pilot series from Michelin, as I've heard great things about their wet grip.
B3Hulk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode