new Vulcan S 2016 rider thoughts and breaking in period - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralpheal316
  • 1 Post By KeepRidin
  • 1 Post By FurEBear
  • 1 Post By Engineerk9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

new Vulcan S 2016 rider thoughts and breaking in period

Hello.

New 2016 Vulcan S in my garage. Love it so far.
Completed just 350 km and I have to say stayin at 4000rpm is a hard job.

What I like:
- general looks of the bike
- shifting is absolutely beautifull, not once has it failed to do what I wanted
- suprising agility in the corners and slow speed agility
- faster then I thought, definitely not a tipical cruiser
- standard seat and footpegs for my 184cm height is perfect
- one disk front brake seems to be enought for me
- very good engine breaking

What I dislike:
- below 2500 rpms tones of vibrations and lag of engine
- back end of Vulcan S is the ugliest part of the bike, it just stands out to far from the tire
- low rpm noise from exhaust, just too quiet, but I have to add on that note that after 5000rpms sounds exellent, but its more the engine then the exhaust

How did you guys manege to go throught breaking in period, I mean 800km bellow 4000rpm and then another 800km bellow 6000rpm...for longer periods I stay under 4000 but from time to time I at least accelerate at arround 6000, hopefully its not that bad.

Regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 07:19 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawazaki Vulcan S
Displacement/CC's: 650
Garage
My dealer told me that keeping it below 4k was not realistic, that up to 6 k every now and them is OK for the first 1000km, I have taken it to about 6 k on the motorway but only for a couple of minutes... Mine has 500 km at the moment.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 07:50 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016/Vulcan S se
Displacement/CC's: 649
Color: Blue/Black
Garage
I have a brand new Vulcan S se and break-in is tough.
It was Laconia N.H. bike week-end in New England and there were so many bikes on the road every one want me to ride with them, but still breaking her in.
They were waving me into the pack but had to keep it @ 4000-5000rpm's so they must think I'm a jerk...lol

I'm at 200mi so 400mi more to go before the first service. I have had it to 70mph and you are correct she is fast and very quick turning not a cruiser at all.

I went from an '09 Versys and a Suzuki '06 GSX-R to the Vulcan S se.

I Vulcan is a great in-between platform and it handles way better than a Harley which I test drove all of them before a settled on this bike.
The company is worried about metal shavings from the new engine break in floating around scaring surfaces which will ruin compression....etc.
That's why that want a trained mechanic or the dealer to do the first cause if the engine is bad they will replace it and so on.

So keep under it @ the recommended rpm's or a little above you should be fine happy riding and be safe.

Ralph D II from Boston MA, USA
mredlancelot likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Color: Matte Candy Orange
My suggestion is if you cant wait.. bring it to a Dyno Tuner and get them to break it in. They have more accurate monitoring and will get your bike broken in right away.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Displacement/CC's: 649 cc
Color: Green
Garage
Best way to get through it? Backroads, lots of them. I bought mine on a Tuesday and had the first 600 miles knocked out by that Saturday. Could've been earlier but a couple afternoon thunderstorms kept me inside those days. To be fair I hadn't ever had anything with 2 wheels and a motor so I was having a blast no matter the speed.

I took it over 4k rpm a few times throughout, once on the ride home from the dealer (we'll call it the 10 mile mark). I'm just over 7000 miles now and it hasn't given me the slightest problem. So don't stress the occasional over the limit.
Cobue likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 08:57 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Color: Matte Candy Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRidin View Post
Best way to get through it? Backroads, lots of them. I bought mine on a Tuesday and had the first 600 miles knocked out by that Saturday. Could've been earlier but a couple afternoon thunderstorms kept me inside those days. To be fair I hadn't ever had anything with 2 wheels and a motor so I was having a blast no matter the speed.

I took it over 4k rpm a few times throughout, once on the ride home from the dealer (we'll call it the 10 mile mark). I'm just over 7000 miles now and it hasn't given me the slightest problem. So don't stress the occasional over the limit.
The only thing about that is that you need to vary your RPMs.
Running consistently is a bad thing. Urban riding is actually a very nice place to break-in your bike as you do a lot of starts and stops. Shorter rides, let it cool down and go again.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 10:20 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
Color: Flat Black
Garage
My dealer told me to try and keep it under 4000 for the first 300 miles or so but use ALL the gears a lot....after that I could take it up once in awhile but not to hold it...just go up and back down...again use ALL the gears....I now see why he stressed using all the gears alot as it makes you vary the RPM's.

After my 500 miles oil change he said let it rip but just keep using all the gears and try to avoid long periods of cruising at one speed without changing gears once in awhile until I get a couple of thousand miles on her.

I now have 3500 miles on it and it runs so sweet...my motor oil is just starting to change color. The Motul Oil he put in is a bright Green and made the bike run and shift so much smoother and better. I plan on changing it at 4000 miles which will be 3500 miles on the oil and filter.

And I am getting over 50 miles to the gallon...best was 58 miles to the gallon....and I am a big man...275 pounds.
Cobue likes this.

It is not about the destination, but how you get there.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the anwers..... I am trying to take it easy on small backroads and it s going fine....fuel mileage so far(but really easy ride) in 4,3 liter per 100km, which is over 60 miles per gallon....even for easy ride exellent mileage I have to say.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:03 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vukcan S
Color: Candy Green
Thanks for this post... I'm at mile 35 on my new (2015) S, and the dealer made no mention of break in when they delivered it, only after getting her home did I do a good manual reading that revealed the break in. On that ride I did go slightly over 4000 but only briefly to 5000 in one gear as I explored the acceleration. I'm of course now going to make sure I stay around or below 4000 with lots of gear changes and speed variances. Fun ride, and I agree she's not a typical cruiser... she's better!

2015 Vulcan S EN650AF
Honda Rebel 250
ATGATT
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 01:08 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2016/Vulcan S
Color: Orange
From an engineering perspective

Higher rpm & low loads are the way to go

6,000-7,000rpm on small throttle openings are better than 4,000rpm on full throttle

It's the heat load not the rpm that does the damage
Cobue likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode