Brake light modulators - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Brake light modulators

The other day, an ambulance was in front of me and when they hit the brakes, the brake lights would flash really fast for about 2 seconds before staying steady on. I seen a few motorbikes do this too, but they were the same brand, so initially I just assumed it was that company did it.

I see online you can buy many different brake light modulators that does this. They look to be an easy install, some even have wire harness so no cutting needed.

Has anyone used these before, or are planning to install on your Vulcan S? If so, what one are you getting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 04:03 PM

Have never seen them but I like the idea. Going to have to look into it.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

I recently replaced OEM brake light bulb with LED bulb with build in flasher. When you press brakes it flashes 3 times and then goes solid. No wire slicing requires. It's very bright. I'm pretty happy with it. Best $20 mod I ever made.
Here is the link.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rofit-car/923/

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 04:22 PM

Sounds like a very good idea. Saw one the other day and it was very visible in traffic. Looked into getting one but the dealer said they could not install the taillight flasher because the tail light is a sealed unit. Let us know if you learn something different.

Separately, recently installed a headlight modulator and what a difference it makes. Have noticed a dramatic reduction in the number of cars crossing my right of way. Anything you can do to be more visible is a good thing.

Ride safe
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartdm98 View Post
I recently replaced OEM brake light bulb with LED bulb with build in flasher. When you press brakes it flashes 3 times and then goes solid. No wire slicing requires. It's very bright. I'm pretty happy with it. Best $20 mod I ever made.
Here is the link.

So this sounds like the same thing. Hit the brakes, brake light blinks 3 times then steady on? Seems even easier than the modulators, as it fits where the bulb goes. No need to cut any wires.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaisley View Post
So this sounds like the same thing. Hit the brakes, brake light blinks 3 times then steady on? Seems even easier than the modulators, as it fits where the bulb goes. No need to cut any wires.
I have this same bulb
Yes, Flashes 3 times then stays on
no wires to cut or anything, its a direct replacement for the stock bulb.

I actually bought a modulator but before I got around to installing it I found this nifty bulb, decided I would rather not cut my wires

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Indy Vulcan; 08-08-2015 at 06:21 PM.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 07:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gartdm98 View Post
Here is the link.

Is this the exact bulb that would fit the Vulcan S 650? (Vehicle selection allows for cars only) And anyone know how to access the tail light bulb without taking apart the entire rear fender?
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 09:23 PM

I investigated this a few months ago when I got the bike. As someone else said, the tail light on the Vulcan S is a sealed unit. It does not come apart to get at the bulb.

There are units available that you can splice into the wiring. I acquired one, then discovered that they were failing within 3 years resulting in NO brake light.

I did not install it thinking it was better for me to flash the light manually if I could, than have no brake light at all, and no indication that it has failed...

Regards

Ron
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 08:38 AM

So does this mean that if the brake light fails that there is no bulb to replace just the whole unit? Doesn't seem right to me.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 08:47 AM
LAF

Year/Make/Model: 2015 BMW R1200 RTWC
Displacement/CC's: 1200
Color: San Marino Blue
I have not looked but no one is making a tail light you van not open to replace a bulb. I will check today for sure. Also a poster said he has done it so how can that be if it is a sealed unit?

Something is not right here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode