Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

First big ride with new pulleys!?

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Denis 
#1 ·
First major ride yesterday where you could cruise for a while on 4 lane roads. I purchased a used set of Scootworks pulleys, Really lost a lot of power with the combo on. Had a head wind but took for ever to gain speed over 70. Throttle response was almost none existent, it would gain but really slow. Mostly nice level road with some small hills. Made me wonder if I had other problems, so down shifted and sped up right away. I weigh in at 245 have a LT with extra bag on it. Surprised how much power it lost. Just wonder on your experience with them. . Thinking of taking rear pulley off and just keep the front on.
Did plugs this spring and has K&N filter other than that stock.

#2 · (Edited)
You're just going to have to get used to the power being in different places. The pulleys don't reduce the power in the engine, it just moves where it is! Riding the 900 stock, it's so shortly geared that you can pretty much hit 35 and shift into 5th and still have roll-on power. At 60 or greater there's no need to downshift, even to pass. That all changes when you space out the gearing and drop the rev's. This engine makes power in the mid and high end, so if you want to accelerate or pass you need to downshift.

You didn't lose any power, you just need to rethink the way you ride! The same would be true if you moved up to a bike with a real long overdrive 6th!

I'm guilty of doing all my shifting early and rolling on. Can't get away with that if it wasn't geared so short!

#3 · (Edited)
Are you running the stock tire size? I am running the 170/80/15 on my Classic LT and that is good for 2.2 MPH and I just put my front Baron pulley on for a total of 6.6 MPH add. I think a front and rear pulley may be a bit much if you had the taller tire too. I love my combination and any more for me might be overkill. I weigh about 230 Lbs. with riding gear on and at 70 MPH it is not vibrating to bad but definitely is in the power band and can accelerate easily.

#5 ·
+1 on Romans summary. I liked it immediately when the gears were stretched out. I like down shifting to past so it works great for me. You'll get used to it quickly.

#6 ·
pulleys

Hey guys. I only have the front SW pulley and larger back tire and couldn't be happier with the performance. Tons better on the freeway now. I just got a new GPS and I'm -4 mph on the speedo. Have to revisit the diode thing I remember back when I read the sticky. Wonder if it's worth bothering with it or just remember it's -4 mph off? I was thinking of replacing the back pulley too but after reading some post it looks like it changes things quite drastically? Thanks, Gary

#9 ·
Hey guys. I only have the front SW pulley and larger back tire and couldn't be happier with the performance. Tons better on the freeway now. I just got a new GPS and I'm -4 mph on the speedo. Have to revisit the diode thing I remember back when I read the sticky. Wonder if it's worth bothering with it or just remember it's -4 mph off? I was thinking of replacing the back pulley too but after reading some post it looks like it changes things quite drastically? Thanks, Gary
I thought the diode was for the fuel gauge, not the speedo?

#7 ·
I will say my speedo is dead on now. If not a tad slow. Not using GPS by speed limit radar signs. I will give it another month and see how I feel then.
Did gas up today and got just under 40mpg. But figured it was probably more accurate now than old gearing where speedo and odometer where reading fast.

#10 · (Edited)
My first ride of any distance yesterday with new Barons pulley. Worked great. I rode thru Zion Park and many other attractions totaling 173 miles of up hill, down hill, reached 10,000 foot elevation and 50 miles of freeway at 70 to 75MPH. My speedometer seems to be corrected with the front pulley and 170/80 rear tire and I got 48.33 MPG which I am happy with. In a couple days I am headed to Seattle from Southern Utah, and back, and will keep a MPG total for the trip. I'm not feeling the loss of fuel mileage that others have mentioned from this combination but we will see. I got a steady 50MPG before the pulley with the taller tire only.

#11 ·
I can now see how the stock gearing was optimal in the 900 makers. I like it for the type riding that I do which is avg 50 mph on rural roads. I figure if I had the time and could travel more, I'd need a bigger bike with all the fixins.

I just got back from Dallas with the family and would not want to attempt it on the stock 900. The only bikes I saw were baggers and gold wings.

#12 ·
pulley

My bad, now that I remember the diode was for the fuel gauge fix. I guess I'll live with the -4 mph on the speedo. When I ride without the GPS on I will remember the speed I'm actually going. Have safe and happy holiday everyone.

#13 ·
I've got both OD pulleys and stock tire and quite pleased with the performance...(145 lbs. soak & wet). The speedo is under by 8 km/hr. (5 mph) and the odometer is also under...I found this to be a factor of 1/10. I took a trip recently and GPS the ride and got 65 miles / gallon back roads and 56 on the Hwy. Very comfortable...quite pleased with the setup. I have no qualms with long trips on the 900.

#16 ·
Denis....excellent my friend. That is some good mileage and a sign of a healthy, well setup bike. At 145 Lbs. I bet that bike doesn't even know you are on it...lol. My bike could only be so lucky. On this trip I will have about 230Lbs. for my weight plus an additional 50 Lbs. of cargo on board....I'd be very happy with 50 MPG but we will see how it goes.

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks Dirtwiz.

Here's the funny thing. I find the 900 to perform better as it is loaded down. On my trip I had my gear which brought the bike closer to 200lbs or so and got the quoted mpg. When me and the wife are on it, she's smooth...about 275 pounds. I haven't had the opportunity yet to check mileage with the new OD pulley and the added weight with the wife but on the stock setup it would change by about 2 mpg. The 900 has been a really good performer and very constant. Just love the setup.

Alone on her, you're right it's like I'm not there! lol. She's extremely well balance. Let go of the bars and she tracks straight ahead. Slap the cruise control on and ride on. She's sweet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.