Aftermarket stator - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket stator

Hi all. I just changed the stator and rec/reg (again) on my 06 900 classic. I did the test according to the manual after install and the AC coming out of the stator was still lower than table of my clymer manual suggests. Manual said 187 vac or higher. I could not get over 140! Not positive of my rpm but pretty sure she was about to blow up!! Also after plugging in the rectifier and checking dcv at the battery I could not reach the numbers stated in the book either. Book says 14.2-15.2 dcv at 4000 rpm. Again no tach but I cranked it hard and couldn’t get over13.8. I installed a volt meter and went for a ride. 120 miles and it stayed at around 13.5 volts at highway speed. I’m wondering if these Ricks parts run a little lower voltages? Anyone have this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
I would contact the vendor. Most likely, it is defective. It is not normal, but it is also not uncommon to receive a defective stator. It should at least produce as many volts as the manual recommends. Maybe someone else here can confirm from a service manual that you should be getting the VAC/DC numbers in the Clymer's manual. They may want you to check again with a tachometer, though. A cheap auto one adjusting for the number of cylinders, will work fine.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sabre t. I called Ricks Motorsports and they said the same. It should be hitting what the manual says. So I have to take them out and send them back. They will test them to confirm and we go from there. The only other part of that system is the magnet that spins around the coil right? I guess I’ll have to figure out how to test that. While Ricks test the stator and reg/rec. to confirm. Looks like I’m going to have some down time.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:43 PM
Top Contributor

I do not know which manual you are using, but Kawasaki specifications are 54v AC per phase unloaded (reg/rect unplugged) @3000rpm.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Hi sfair. I’ve seen you all over this site. I have read the post that Roman did and you commented on regarding the stator and it was great. Thanks to you both. I see that the readings I’m getting are in line with that. I’m referring to Clymer manual for Vulcan 900, that would be a fantastic mistake on my part if I’m on the wrong chart and a bit embarrassing actually!!! I’m away from my manual now but I will check it and get back to you. Thank you.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
I do not know which manual you are using, but Kawasaki specifications are 54v AC per phase unloaded (reg/rect unplugged) @3000rpm.
Yeah, I thought 187 VAC was awfully high. Clymers manuals are usually pretty good, but they do have some serious errors sometimes.

@Scottso , are you sure you are testing it correctly? Getting around 140 VAC when the spec is 54 VAC/per phase is highly suspect, too. I'm no expert on AC, but it sounds like you may have been testing all three phases at once, which would probably give a reading of less than the sum of the three phases tested separately. Or, if you got 140 V from each phase, there may be a short across all three phases somewhere.

Installed:
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:

LET'S RIDE
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

At this point anything is possible. My rpms were stupid high. Scary actually. Do these things have a rev limiter. I didn’t hit one but if they have one I must of been close. More research, try and figure out where I got the wrong numbers. More, accurate testing, different multi meter, temporary tachometer. According to what I’ve learned today I should be perfect and I worry only because i have been stranded 3 times by this problem and Im sick of it I’m ready to ghost ride this sucker off a cliff. I’d trade it in but feel guilty about just passing it off to another unknowing victim. I gotta figure it out first. Thank you Sabre-T and sfair. I will retest and report soon
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Wow. Well shame on me. I found my issue. In my manual in the alternator output voltage test instructions it refers to “table 1” I couldn’t find anything on the alternator or stator on table 1 but I found primary peak voltage under the ignition coil specs of 187 or more so I thought that was my number. I just realized “Table 1” is “continued” it is on 2pages and I just missed it. Its right there in black and white 54 volts or more at 4000rpm. I apologize for wasting your time. But my mystery is solved. So thanks much.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottso View Post
At this point anything is possible. My rpms were stupid high. Scary actually. Do these things have a rev limiter. I didn’t hit one but if they have one I must of been close. More research, try and figure out where I got the wrong numbers. More, accurate testing, different multi meter, temporary tachometer. According to what I’ve learned today I should be perfect and I worry only because i have been stranded 3 times by this problem and Im sick of it I’m ready to ghost ride this sucker off a cliff. I’d trade it in but feel guilty about just passing it off to another unknowing victim. I gotta figure it out first. Thank you Sabre-T and sfair. I will retest and report soon
I had 2 stators burn out in the Honda Sabre I used to have. Some Sabres eat stators like candy and I was unlucky enough to have one of them. Both times I was on the home stretch of long trips. The first time, I was close enough to home to eventually get the bike home and I replaced it myself. The second time was in Bakersfield CA (I live in Georgia) on the home stretch of a 7000 mile solo trip across country. Took a shop a week to get it fixed because the first stator they ordered was bad. I know your frustration with a bike that eats stators! It's enough to make anyone paranoid.

Oh, BTW, glad you got the numbers worked out.

Installed:
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:

LET'S RIDE

Last edited by Sabre-t; 07-23-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode