help a newb with turn signal wiring - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:36 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
OEM are running lights, lights always on when motor is running, AND signals lights.
Not sure how you want to wire up the new lights, unless you do not want running lights.
Maybe you bought ones for the rear??? which are only signal lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 30,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:43 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Black/Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcandoc View Post
OEM are running lights, lights always on when motor is running, AND signals lights.
Not sure how you want to wire up the new lights, unless you do not want running lights.
Maybe you bought ones for the rear??? which are only signal lights.
Check post #6, he has options

Mike

2005 VN750
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
JCC

Year/Make/Model: 2006/Kawasaki/Vulcan VU900B
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: blue
Thank you. Sounds like if I want running lights, I need to find three wire aftermarket or get OEM replacement.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:16 PM
Top Contributor

There are things you could try but I can't guarantee it would work, such a putting a relay in each of the front circuits.

The running light circuit would be connected to the replacement lamp though the normally-closed circuit of the relay. That would make the lamp light up for the running light aspect.

The turn signal wire would connect to the coil of the relay. At least in theory, when the turn signal was activated, the relay would switch state breaking the running light power to the lamp, making it blink in time (but in opposite "phase") with the actual turn signal command.

Being in opposite phase is no biggie, IMO, as a blink is a blink. But, whether or not the blinker circuit would respond properly to the load of the relay (almost certainly much less load than the lamp itself) is not known to me.

Then you have the whole kludge aspect, and associated costs, rather than just using the right thing in the first place.

As to using just turn signals, I guess that is your call. Not sure if there are any legalities involved or whether it results in a materially diminished state of visibility to oncoming traffic.

Last edited by whoaru99; 07-15-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode