LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Location: Beaver Dam Wisconsin, formerly Daytona Beach/Orange City Florida
Year/Make/Model: 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Black
Garage
1500fi engine problems

Current status... engine has spark,gas, but no start..... 03 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, K&N intake,with V&H exhaust and a older style Digital fuel tuner.
the story, has been running fairly good for the most part since resetting timing in November. every few weeks would have it get jerky and die, after several times of sorting wiring, checking everything and making sure all was right, i would have this happen again. discovered plugs would randomly get very wet on cold start, appears that it would randomly dump too much gas in chamber. could not figure it out.
recently on a ride home from work, noticed the gas gauge moving down at a dramatic rate. stopped for gas, left gas station, stopped next door to gas station, check my dfo setting, then took off out of parking lot, got maybe 50 feet out, coughed splutted, jerked, popped and as it died let out a boom with a big cloud of white smoke.

Dumped the oil & filter out, oil smelt very gassy, still no start. discovered plugs getting Major wet on initial attempt to start. disconnected the DFO and tried again, got a very rough start for maybe 15-30 seconds, then died and hasn't started since. Plugs were also carboning up within about 600-800 miles before it stopped running
Help and ideas appreciated, it was an awesome bike and im trying to figure out if to fix, replace or rebuild?
I have checked spark,check fuel checked wiring, coils are new, from trying to solve problems way back.
just dont know what this is??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 VC1600 Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 1552
Color: Black
If you can get it running again, try holding the pointy end of a screwdriver to each injectors with the handle stuck up in your ear and listen to see if they're ticking (cycling open/closed as they should) or not (always spewing gas into cylinder).

Also have you tried disconnecting the fuel controller? It's possible it's causing the issues.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:28 PM

I just sold my 1500fi and bought a voyager 1700. Owner said gas was running out of the exhaust. Ended up replacing the ecu and fixed all problems. Sound like your issue. I had pulled injectors and every other conceivable thing to no avail.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode