Synthetic or normal oil? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Synthetic or normal oil?

So I’m using Mobile 1synthetic and everyone tells me I don’t have to change the oil at the recommended oil change cycle specified in the manual. What say ye old Scooter riders and mechanics? Stick to the manual or do I get a hall pass for another thousand miles or so?

Vulcan 900 Custom VN900CE
Freedom Performance Exhaust
Stock Intake No DFI Mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
I use Royal Purple Max Cycle. With full synthetic oils, the molecules don't break down as fast, so you can go longer, but with the heat that these bikes produce, you don't want to push it too far. I change mine at 4k miles, sometimes a little sooner, if necessary, as I use 20W-50 for the hot half of the year and 10W-40 for the other half.
Demoliton Man likes this.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:07 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 KAW VN900CGF
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinglePJones View Post
So I’m using Mobile 1synthetic and everyone tells me I don’t have to change the oil at the recommended oil change cycle specified in the manual. What say ye old Scooter riders and mechanics? Stick to the manual or do I get a hall pass for another thousand miles or so?
Hell you say!!! "AND EVERYONE TELLS YOU" The Hell you say again!! With Mobil1 that there is LIFETIME oil. I would never change it. Just keep adding to it if the bike uses any oil. It runs so good and clean with that oil that you NEVER have to change the filter either.

Now listen to me son... I know what I am talking about cause I been ridin' for better n er fifty years now and I know a lot more than some company that built a foundry to smelt metal, then hire on a buncha engineers, and then BUILD motorcycles for a livin. That there owners manual is only for sissys that use cheap dime store oil, not MOBIL1, and not for us folks that KNOW better than the folks that made the machine and wrote the book about it.

Last edited by Du-Rron; 06-05-2019 at 11:10 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:25 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN 1500E7
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: green over white
Ive used synthetic oil for 15 years and had no issues. I change it once a riding season, or about 3-5k miles. I don't get to ride as much as I used to, when I was putting in 10k a year.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
The Voyager manual maintenance table shows once per year or every 7500 miles!!! after the initial 600 mile change. I guess I never noticed that and assumed it was every 3K miles.

I'll still change mine every 4K to 4500 miles. Some people may think that's a waste of money, but it gives me peace of mind. 7500 miles in engines that run this hot seems extreme to me. But I have also seen posts from people saying that going more than 3K miles, even on JASO rated synthetics, will ruin your engine.

It pretty much necessary for an oil to be fully synthetic to meet JASO specs which is what the oil should meet according to the manual. I don't know what the frequency is supposed to be for the OP's 900, but it is probably the same.

Installed:
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:

LET'S RIDE
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
The Voyager manual maintenance table shows once per year or every 7500 miles!!! after the initial 600 mile change. I guess I never noticed that and assumed it was every 3K miles.

I'll still change mine every 4K to 4500 miles. Some people may think that's a waste of money, but it gives me peace of mind. 7500 miles in engines that run this hot seems extreme to me. But I have also seen posts from people saying that going more than 3K miles, even on JASO rated synthetics, will ruin your engine.

It pretty much necessary for an oil to be fully synthetic to meet JASO specs which is what the oil should meet according to the manual. I don't know what the frequency is supposed to be for the OP's 900, but it is probably the same.
It never ceases to amaze me the difference in manufacturer's recommendations. I had a little 1992 Toyota Hilux pickup I drove for several years and it said to change the oil every 5000 miles in normal conditions, 7500 in good conditions and 3500 in severe conditions. This was regular dino oil.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:36 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Voyager
Color: Blue/Silver
Garage
I use Mobile1 Full Synthetic (although looking to try Rotella at next oil change). Use 10W-40 in "off" season, and 20W-50 in hot season. Normally change it out between 3500 and 4000 miles. Works for me!

Randy A.
Mechanicsville, VA
2011 Voyager - Blue/Silver - "Addie"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:52 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:

Kawasaki's standard oil is fully qualified for that (first of) 7500mi or 1 year interval, and I'd expect that's not a synthetic since they do market a branded synthetic.

As well, I have remnants of Castrol and Valvoline (and I thought Yamalube too, but can't find that one) on the shelf that are JASO rated and are not branded as synthetic. Synthetic is such a buzzword in the lube business if it was synthetic, even type III base, "synthetic" would be loud and proud on the label.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Kawasaki's standard oil is fully qualified for that (first of) 7500mi or 1 year interval, and I'd expect that's not a synthetic since they do market a branded synthetic.

As well, I have remnants of Castrol and Valvoline (and I thought Yamalube too, but can't find that one) on the shelf that are JASO rated and are not branded as synthetic. Synthetic is such a buzzword in the lube business if it was synthetic, even type III base, "synthetic" would be loud and proud on the label.
You are right, I stand corrected. JASO does not have to be synthetic.

However, I still think 7500 miles between oil changes for motorcycle that run as hot as these do and have wet clutches is much too long. I'll stick to a more conservative schedule.

Installed:
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:

LET'S RIDE
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
You are right, I stand corrected. JASO does not have to be synthetic.

However, I still think 7500 miles between oil changes for motorcycle that run as hot as these do and have wet clutches is much too long. I'll stick to a more conservative schedule.
Me too. And why wouldn't you? My dad always said oil was the cheapest insurance you could buy for a motor, and only a fool would skip a 5 dollar oil change (back then) for a 2000 dollar engine trying to save a few dimes. He was old school and changed his oil every 2000-2500 miles. We had a ranch and a garage with a service bay and 4 cars, two trucks, a tractor and various other equipment. My dad bought oil by the case, sometimes by the barrel, and we were always changing oil in something. And the used oil made a good treatment for fence posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode