Synthetic or normal oil? - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:37 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
So what your saying is there is no extended oil change with synthetic, yet that is kind of their marketing idea.

You should change both dino and synthetic at the same time interval?

So why would I go with the increased priced synthetic, when I have my cars go up to 200,000 miles with no oil usage or engine trouble using dino oil??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 30,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:04 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcandoc View Post
So what your saying is there is no extended oil change with synthetic, yet that is kind of their marketing idea.

So why would I go with the increased priced synthetic, when I have my cars go up to 200,000 miles with no oil usage or engine trouble using dino oil??
This thread has devolved into a general discussion of oil regardless of vehicle type, but the OP was asking about his motorcycle.

I use synthetic oil in my motorcycle because it provides for smoother shifting for a longer time. With dino oil, I can feel it start degrading at about 3000 miles. With synthetic around 4500 miles. It is my opinion that is an indicator that synthetic may provide better protection overall. When I used dino, I changed at about 3000 miles when I felt the shifting start degrading (harder to shift down into first, harder to shift from first thru neutral to second). Same thing on my previous motorcycle (2003 Honda Sabre 1100), but it was much more pronounced than with the Voyager.

That said, I use dino oil in my other vehicles, but they do not have wet clutches. If I am changing the oil at more frequent intervals than the manuals say (and neither specifies a difference for "normal" vs "severe" driving conditions), I feel like I am doing enough. As noted before, the 2002 Sport Trac states 5000 miles. My other vehicle, which is driven more often for shorter trips, states 7500 miles so I stick with 3000 miles for both vehicles.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN 1500E7
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: green over white
Quote:

Uniform molecular size means less friction
Refinement and engineering reduce deposits
Additives boost protection and can clean engines
Better function in cold and extreme weather
Cleaner oil with fewer impurities

That's according to some website where the writer really likes synth oil, so take it with a grain. But the points are valid. Whether it makes much of a difference or not, who knows? As an anecdote, I ran full synth in my 99 F-250 and got 301k pulling a trailer out of it before it finally cracked a piston.

Last edited by Patrick's1500; 07-03-2019 at 01:09 PM.

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2015
Displacement/CC's: 103ci
Color: Black
Garage
As well, I'd fully expect mfgs have some cushion in their recommended intervals. They do not want warranty claims or customer satisfaction policy adjustments for engines. Engines are expensive (in our case a single engine replacement handily exceeds $50000) and as well such a thing gives the Brand a bad reputation. No company that plans to be around for the long haul wants to bring that on themselves with bad service recommendations.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I'd say that's a pretty expensive engine change
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:53 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
Are we thinking that should be $5000 for an engine??

1995 en500 stock with windshield - 30,000 miles
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:38 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Well, I think that is a rather naive viewpoint.
Clearly. But, that doesn't mean it is.
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Are we thinking that should be $5000 for an engine??
If you are talking the one for your motorcycle, perhaps. But, that's not what I was talking about.

I just checked. The engine alone in our most popular model is $46,200. That's just the engine, not counting any labor or anything else it would cost in the case of needing a complete replacement. The point here is not who has the biggest dick, but that there is a lot at stake and service intervals are not taken lightly by OEMs, despite what you may read.

Last edited by whoaru99; 07-03-2019 at 10:02 PM.
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:09 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:

No, that's not what I'm saying, that's what the vehicle OEMs are saying...most of them anyway. Lube companies, like the aforementioned Amsoil, opine differently.

If it all works out everyone is happy. If it goes South you are stuck in the middle.

And, to your bottom line query, that is sorta the million-dollar question isn't it.
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN 1500E7
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: green over white

CRU, Du-Rron and stessel like this.
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

It doesn't much matter to me who thinks that the oil they use is the best or not. I've been using Amsoil oil and filters (preferred customer) for years in every thing I own including my lawn mower, and change at the book recommender intervals. I wouldn't be able to tell if it took two more ounces of pressure to shift gears or not. Been using Michelin tires on the bike, car, and pickup. I'm quite happy with the long mileage and have never had one fail prematurely. Running over a dime in the road, I wouldn't be able to tell if it was heads or tails either, or as far as that goes wouldn't even be able to tell if it really was a dine. Could have been a quarter for all I would have known. So, I guess if we are happy with the brands you're using than by all means those are the ones you we should stick to. Like the old saying goes. Whatever floats your boat. A FO I was flying with years ago was an AMSOIL Dealer and signed me up as a preferred customer. That takes a little bite out of the cost.

2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager

Last edited by Pilot747; 07-04-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode