Synthetic or normal oil? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinglePJones View Post
So Iím using Mobile 1synthetic and everyone tells me I donít have to change the oil at the recommended oil change cycle specified in the manual. What say ye old Scooter riders and mechanics? Stick to the manual or do I get a hall pass for another thousand miles or so?

Does your driving/mileage exceed the factory-recommended service intervals? Or are you basing on some other "common practice" interval, e.g. 3000 miles?

For my VN2K, the change interval is first of 7500 miles or 1 year. For me, that means (so far, anyway) every change is based on 1 year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:32 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Vulcan LTD
Displacement/CC's: 500
Color: Black
Garage
The manual for my 500LTD recommends a 6,000 mile change interval (along with a lot of other maintenance items). I generally stick with a 5,000íish mile change interval. I did send a sample in for analysis once at 4,500 miles and their suggestion was to go ahead with the 6,000 mile interval.

In short, the manual is closer to right than we give it credit for.

--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo' 206,000+ miles so far
'98 EN500LTD 'Sioux' 19,000 miles so far
VROC #3833 IronButt #6024
Levelland, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Top Contributor

Yeah, a lot of people bash "the company" recommendations for nonsensical reasons like the company wants it to wear out prematurely so you have to buy a new one. Stop to think about that for a minute or two. Why would a customer buy another one if that were the case? Answer: they wouldn't, so that line of reasoning doesn't make sense.
bikerbill likes this.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Good information here guys. Thanks. I’m about 4K miles now so I’ll change it at the end of this trip. I ride her hard and that’s for sure. So now we’re so productive in this conversation, is there a difference between Amsoil, Mobile 1 or any reason to believe what I’ve heard about Amsoil? In my experience oil is oil, synthetic or otherwise; synthetic being better. But I’m thinking there’s no difference between Mobile1 or Amsoil. Thoughts?

Vulcan 900 Custom VN900CE
Freedom Performance Exhaust
Stock Intake No DFI Mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode