Wearing helmet = tension headache. - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Silver
Garage
I just recently saw a video on Revzilla about the difference between round helmets designs and oval designs. the 2 different styles are meant to accommodate the 2 basic head shapes. I never new that different manufacturers design in different ways. This has never been explained to me before, even from my dealer when I bought my first street bike in 2005, or my 4th helmet from them just late last year. I have always bought a helmet based on how it looks and feels from the test fit at the shop/store. I have always had a hotspot on the forehead after 2 hours or so with every helmet I wore. Just figured it was normal, and never complained as I had to make a gas stop a little after that time anyways, which gave me a break

After seeing this video however, I now understand that there are the 2 basic design types. My next helmet will be an oval design and I'm anxious to see the difference in long-term wearing (found out after research my previous helmets have always been a round design).

Randy A.
Mechanicsville, VA
2011 Voyager - Blue/Silver - "Addie"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:17 PM
CRU

Displacement/CC's: 1600
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA-Voyager View Post
I just recently saw a video on Revzilla about the difference between round helmets designs and oval designs. the 2 different styles are meant to accommodate the 2 basic head shapes. I never new that different manufacturers design in different ways. This has never been explained to me before, even from my dealer when I bought my first street bike in 2005, or my 4th helmet from them just late last year. I have always bought a helmet based on how it looks and feels from the test fit at the shop/store. I have always had a hotspot on the forehead after 2 hours or so with every helmet I wore. Just figured it was normal, and never complained as I had to make a gas stop a little after that time anyways, which gave me a break

After seeing this video however, I now understand that there are the 2 basic design types. My next helmet will be an oval design and I'm anxious to see the difference in long-term wearing (found out after research my previous helmets have always been a round design).
Round and oval are the two basic ones, but there's a lot of grey in between them. It's closer to five or six shapes. A lot of people can fit into at least two shapes comfortably. I wear a long oval now, but my old helmet was an intermediate oval. Actually had to take an overhead picture of my head to figure it out. A true round helmet crushes my forehead something fierce. This will give you an idea of just how many shapes and who makes which.

Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld
MVA-Voyager likes this.

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered exhaust
Dyno tuned Power Commander III & K&N air filter
Corbin Young Guns saddle/Kawi Fire & Steel "Touring" Double saddle
Mapam forward controls
Kuryakyn Constellation LED driving lights w/turn signals
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/stiletto end caps
Kawi OEM backrest
Kawi Fire & Steel windshield
Bad Ace Billet handlebar risers
Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light module
Tourmaster Coaster tool bag
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
Headaches, tension headaches in particular, usually come from a reaction yur incurring caused by a force from something else, be the fitment of the helmet and/or glasses, type of jacket (some can make you tighten up yur shoulders), wind force on yur face, head or chest, that create stress on you, as a result you tighten up some muscle or verve on yur head and after a few minutes that will lead to a headache.

Wearing sunglasses that did not fir right was making me try t stretch my ears back and my brow up, very little, almost imperceptible. After an hour or so I would have a headache and it took me a while to figure out why.

It falls on each of us to figure out what is creating the stress, fisical or emotional, as it is the cause of the whole thing, if you just tend to the symptoms you wont eliminate the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
salu2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chanoc

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
I was getting the headaches as well with the mushroom helmets. I found one so much lighter and still DOT.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn