Thoughts on adding a passenger seat to bobber style? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts on adding a passenger seat to bobber style?

So I just bought a Vulcan 800 this past weekend and am designing what I want to do with it. I found a picture of a Vulcan 900 online that I basically want to try and copy the look of this bike as much as possible (colors, paint, etc).

Heres the one catch that I am hung up on. The bike is a single seater and fits only me. And I know my wife AT SOME POINT will want a ride. same with my son and daughter and who knows who else in the future. Most likely, it wont happen very often at all. At least not after the initial ride.

That said, I am trying to figure out a way to make the bike keep the bobber look, yet hold a passenger. I have come up with 2 ideas, wonder what you guys think or if maybe you have seen something similar done before and what it was?

Option 1... keep bike exactly how it is, but have a long 2 seater cafe racer style seat rather than the single bobber style. This way, it could fit 2 people at any given time without doing a thing.

Option 2... keep the single bobber style seat, but have a custom passenger seat made that would bolt on and off onto the frame. Id have to measure and draw it up... but my frame has 2 screw holes in the side that seems like it would work perfectly. I could have the "frame" of the passenger seat made to bolt right into these holes on the frame. Then I could simply take this extra seat on or off at any time. And when its just me 99% of the time, I could keep the original look of the bike without having a second seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vulcan.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	195906   Click image for larger version

Name:	big seat.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	195914   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat lines.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	195922   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	195930   Click image for larger version

Name:	holes.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	195938  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Vulcan LTD
Displacement/CC's: 500
Color: Black
Garage
Take a look at ButtyBuddy. www.buttybuddy.com

--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo' 208,000+ miles so far
'98 EN500LTD 'Sioux' 19,000 miles so far
VROC #3833 IronButt #6024
Levelland, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 12:53 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
From the look of it I would go with the solo seat, the cafe racer seat just does not do justice to the overall look of the bike.
Take into account that having a solo seat discourages having a passenger and gives you control of when you're willing to take on a ridding companion, you would anticipate when you want somebody to ride with you and add on the pinion seat. In that case comfort would be very important consideration. The solo seat seems much more comfortable than the long cafe racer seat.
My kid is looking into the same issues on his honda 750, wanting a very short rear fender with solo seat and thinking of occasionally having a passenger (I'm pretty sure the girlfriend is putting some pressure).
That buttbudy looks like a good idea even for my nakid fender.

salu2

Chanoc

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:04 AM
CRU

Displacement/CC's: 1600
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanoc1077 View Post
From the look of it I would go with the solo seat, the cafe racer seat just does not do justice to the overall look of the bike.
Take into account that having a solo seat discourages having a passenger and gives you control of when you're willing to take on a ridding companion, you would anticipate when you want somebody to ride with you and add on the pinion seat. In that case comfort would be very important consideration. The solo seat seems much more comfortable than the long cafe racer seat.
My kid is looking into the same issues on his honda 750, wanting a very short rear fender with solo seat and thinking of occasionally having a passenger (I'm pretty sure the girlfriend is putting some pressure).
That buttbudy looks like a good idea even for my nakid fender.
Buttybuddy. Buttbudy is something altogether different.

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered exhaust
Dyno tuned Power Commander III & K&N air filter
Corbin Young Guns saddle/Kawi Fire & Steel "Touring" Double saddle
Mapam forward controls
Kuryakyn Constellation LED driving lights w/turn signals
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/stiletto end caps
Kawi OEM backrest
Kawi Fire & Steel windshield
Bad Ace Billet handlebar risers
Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light module
Tourmaster Coaster tool bag
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 AM

The biggest problem you could have with going with something like the ButtyBuddy is that most bobbed fenders aren't rated for passengers. On my 800, I took the rear fender off, and it was a stout piece of metal, attached at those 4 holes in the frame that you showed in your last pic. I have the Blue Collar Bobbers rear fender on my 800 now, and it expressly says it's not rated for any kind of weight.

I hate to say it, but the best solution is probably the stock or a replacement 2-up seat.

Then, get another bike to bob When my boy gets old enough to ride with us (my wife will not ride on someone else's bike - she's got her own), we'll take my Vaquero or KZ out, not the bobber.

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

okay, so silly question then.... currently my bike has no rear fender at all. but i plan to add a blue collar bobber rear fender on it that is supported by 2 little struts on each side. is this going to be strong enough to support a passengers weight?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

ha, we posted that at nearly the same time.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

i came across this online, anyone know where i can find this for a Vulcan 800? Looks like they only made for Harley, wonder if it would line up with the same frame holes on my bike?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...nger-seat.html

Last edited by GolferScott; 06-28-2017 at 10:11 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolferScott View Post
okay, so silly question then.... currently my bike has no rear fender at all. but i plan to add a blue collar bobber rear fender on it that is supported by 2 little struts on each side. is this going to be strong enough to support a passengers weight?
Nope. I have that fender on my bike, and if your passenger weighs 5-10lbs, *maybe* they'll be ok, but those fender struts are designed to keep the fender off the tire, not hold up anything. That's why the stock seat/rear fender assembly attached via the holes in the sides of the frame. Really, it was quite amazing when removing the rear fender assembly, seeing just how much of the bike came off with 4 bolts!

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

okay, then that isnt going to work unless i modified the struts to something stronger and maybe even added more struts. guess back to the drawing board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode