Road Rage gets Harley Rider shot by Grandpa - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Road Rage gets Harley Rider shot by Grandpa

There was an incident in the St. Louis area a couple of days ago where a Harley rider and his wife who also had a bike were riding down the highway when a 65 year old grandfather with his wife and 9 year old grandson in the car apparently cut off the female rider. Then both the husband and the wife chased the grandpa until he got off the highway and stopped at a traffic light.
The harley guy got off his bike and argued with the grandpa whose car window was open. As the story read the cyclist who was 47 then began punching the grandpa through the open window an then the grandpa pulled a .380 pistol and shot him once in the chest. Grandpa then drove his wife and grandchild home and turned himself into the police. The rider is hospitalized and will recover.

There is a big debate going on as to whether charges will be filed against the grandpa or was it a matter of self defense. I say self defense. What do you guys think about this?

2008 Vulcan 1500 Classic, "Black of-course"
National cycles windshield
National cycles chrome lowers
Fire & Steel backrest
Cobra rear floorboards
LeatherLyke saddlebags
Phats II Risers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Self defense all the way. Even though the old guy was wrong to cut the rider off, the rider's response was to escalate the incident into unwarranted assault. The old guy was in his car, seated, and was attacked, which is a separate incident from cutting the bikes off. I'd probably have shot him too, or at least brandished the weapon to get the guy to leave. Although it could be said that the old guy could have just rolled up the window and driven away, it's always easy to say what I would have done after the fact if I was in his shoes, but until I am, I can't really know.

04 1500 Classic
Mustang Seat
Sissy bar, luggage rack,
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 AM

The biker let his hot head rule. And now is suffering. The driver defended himself from an assault. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with the fact he went from bad driver to justifiable defender.

Sometimes we have to just let it go.

Also, you never ever know who you are talking to. Act accordingly.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGill View Post
Also, you never ever know who you are talking to. Act accordingly.
^^^ This.

You never know who is in the car. Not only could they be carrying a gun, but they could simply run into you with their car. If I had a confrontation with every idiot who cut me off in traffic in my life I'd probably be dead or in jail.

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." Stephen Dooley, Jr.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatC View Post
Self defense all the way. Even though the old guy was wrong to cut the rider off, the rider's response was to escalate the incident into unwarranted assault. The old guy was in his car, seated, and was attacked, which is a separate incident from cutting the bikes off. I'd probably have shot him too, or at least brandished the weapon to get the guy to leave. Although it could be said that the old guy could have just rolled up the window and driven away, it's always easy to say what I would have done after the fact if I was in his shoes, but until I am, I can't really know.
I agree with this...
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Top Contributor

Being relatively new to riding I am way more sensitive now to the carelessness of cagers than before. That being said I am still amazed at the stuff I see some guys on bikes do that turns cagers off...works both ways. I just try to keep my head on a swivel at all times.

2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Yamaha yz250f
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Top Contributor

It is the "what if" syndrome.

What if the biker would have driven on after the incident?

What if the grandpa left his gun at home or called 911 when biker approached his car?

What if the biker was in an accident and grandpa was first on the scene or the other way around? No doubt both would have helped the other...

We should learn from this! We should present scenarios in our minds and how we should act or react.

The biker could have prevented this. The grandpa could have been a more careful driver.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
There was an incident in the St. Louis area a couple of days ago where a Harley rider and his wife who also had a bike were riding down the highway when a 65 year old grandfather with his wife and 9 year old grandson in the car apparently cut off the female rider. Then both the husband and the wife chased the grandpa until he got off the highway and stopped at a traffic light.
The harley guy got off his bike and argued with the grandpa whose car window was open. As the story read the cyclist who was 47 then began punching the grandpa through the open window an then the grandpa pulled a .380 pistol and shot him once in the chest. Grandpa then drove his wife and grandchild home and turned himself into the police. The rider is hospitalized and will recover.

There is a big debate going on as to whether charges will be filed against the grandpa or was it a matter of self defense. I say self defense. What do you guys think about this?
Here in Florida it would definitely be self defense. The "castle" doctrine (a man's home is his castle, etc). applies to your motor vehicle as well. If you are in your vehicle and someone attempts to assault you or enter the vehicle, you can defend yourself the same as if they tried to enter your home.

Patriot Guard Rider
Taps Bugler - Bugles Across America
Sons of the American Legion

I spent most of my money on wine, women and motorcycles. The rest I wasted.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
The way the story reads; it is self defense all the way.
It may seem easy to take the side of the motorcyclist over the cager; but if you attack someone who cannot physically defend themselves. Then you deserve to be shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockhead
That being said I am still amazed at the stuff I see some guys on bikes do that turns cagers off...works both ways.
^This!!

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Top Contributor

Here in Southern California, this kind of aggresion is far too normal, from both sides. I agree with the previously said, if I took on everyone that cut me off, I probably wouldn't be here. Heck aound here one of the worst groups for cutting people off are the bus drivers, I don't think anyone is fool enough to take one of those on.

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode