Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

How hard to replace 1500 engine with smaller on '04' Vulcan Classic 1500

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Romans5.8 
#1 ·
How hard would it be to replace 1500 engine with smaller on '04' Vulcan Classic 1500 direct drive or is it impossible? My engine is in great shape but would like to get a smaller engine for better fuel mileage.

Is it possible to put on an 800 or 650 and match it up to the drive shaft?

Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
If it could be done, it would be more work than it's worth. If I wanted better gas mileage, I would just sell it and buy a smaller 900cc or less bike!

#3 ·
The parts won't mate together. I'm sure if you spent enough money having custom parts machined you could make it work but your tackling a major project.
You would save money by buying a used $2500 bike with a smaller motor and saving the 1500 for your cross country rides.

#4 ·
A smaller motor is no guarantee of getting better mileage. My '04 1500 Classic got 47-50 MPG when it was stock. Now, with pipes, Baron't Big Air, removing the stock air intake system altogether and rejetting, I'm at 35-40. But I had a KZ750 that got about 36. The stock 2010 VN 900 in this article got 42 MPG. : http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/162/6...10-Kawasaki-Vulcan-900-Custom-Comparison.aspx Mileage depends on how you ride and what you do to the bike, but Kaw cruisers are notoriously bad for gas mileage across the model range compared to other bikes. I ride with some Harley guys and their modified Road kings and Ultra Classics routinely get 48-54/gallon with pipes and Stage One kits. With my lower mileage and smaller tank, I have to stop for gas when they're sitting at a half tank.

#5 ·
I'll second the motion to recommend a smaller bike.

For the money spent, you could easily get a used small bike for gas mileage alone, or even sell your bike for something along the lines of a Vulcan 900. I get 50MPG in mine if I goose it, I've seen the 60's more than once trying to treat her nice. It'll definitely do it. Fuel injection makes a big difference too.

But, it does seem like across the Vulcan line, MPG's are pretty similar. Nothing drastic. If you're really wanting serious gas mileage in a commuter, look into a Ninja 250. Uncomfortable as all get out, but cheap. Swap the rear sprocket, tuck in when you ride, and accelerate slowly and keep it a little below the speed limit and people get 100mpg+ on those things, at least 65 easy. For the money you'd spend on a smaller engine alone, you could get one of those Ninjas. My buddy has one, very capable bike, can handle the highway no problem. Not a fan, it's not very comfortable and it's very small... but just for a commuter it'd be pretty sweet for that purpose. If you want to invest even more there is an EFI kit for that engine that boosts the MPG even more.

#7 ·
Yeah, I agree with everyone else, smaller doesn't necessarily mean better mileage. Also carbed vs. efi are factors. I went from an '83 Shadow 500 to a '99 Buell 1200. The Buell smoked the Shadow in mpg. I can routinely get 55mpg out of the Buell even flogging the snot out of it. Plus they're dirt cheap, they can be had for $3K or less if you watch for them. You'd spend more than that on the smaller engine and work alone.

#9 ·
To be honest, all the way across the fuel injected Vulcan line fuel economy is the same if you're easy on it. I've known people to get into the low 30's on those 1700's and stuff, but that's because they goose the heck out of it and run 100 on the interstate. Run the speed limit, accelerate normally, and you'll get 45-50 out of any FI Vulcan, from the 900 to the 2000. I've seen 60 in my 900 but not consistently enough to warrant the cost if I were in your shape and had a 1600 and was wanting a more fuel efficient bike. I get about 50 solo with lots of 55mph riding, otherwise right around 45 all day long. That's on Kawasaki's smallest V-Twin they are currently producing.

If you really want fuel economy, it'll be a small sportbike or scooter. If you don't need to be on the interstate, those 125cc scooters are neat. They are big enough to handle 55mph, but small enough to get well into the 80's for fuel economy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.