should I be wearing chaps - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Banned

should I be wearing chaps

Are you guys wearing blue jeans and leather chaps on trips or just blue jeans? Wife says I should just wear blue jeans on our 1 week July trip to PEI Canada cause I will have the chaps off more times then on, I have old frogg toggs for rain gear but the hot pipes burnt holes in the pant leg and I taped the insides with duck tape, but blue jeans is all I think I'm taking and my leather jacket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Top Contributor

I own both a set of leathup.com chaps and a set of textile "Bilt" riding pants (with some armor in the knees) that I wear (one or the other - not both at the same time) for all higher-speed and long-distance riding. For that 40 MPH or below around-the-house stuff, like to go pick up a pizza, I only wear jeans.

My chaps (that I like, but they are my first set and I don't know just how good or bad chaps can be): http://www.leatherup.com/p/Leather-C...igh/41237.html

And I wear these under my chaps, but on top of my jeans: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...in-Guards.aspx , but in black - not red. Actually, I wear those under the riding pants, too, because the riding pants' armor is small, and I am a fan of the harder plastic to deflect the initial blow if I throw the bike away, as well as to take the brunt of road debris and hard rain (hey, large rain-drops sting at 75 MPH).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vid
big grips, 19-42 tooth sprockets
rusty handlebars, rusty pegs, rusty mirrors
wrapped Cobra exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Last edited by Mambo Dave; 06-10-2011 at 07:58 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Lifetime Premium

You'll get different answers from different people, anything from "It's okay to wear shorts when you ride" to "if I could get a suit like Ironman, I'd wear it". I always wear leather chaps on trips, simply because of the bugs and the occasional road debris I get pelted with, along with the safety edge. Getting hit in the shin or knee cap with a pebble or a bug on a trip to the hardware store at 35-45 mph is one thing, but having it happen all day long at 65-75 mph is another. But like everything else in motorcycling, it's whatever you're comfortable with. I won't leave home without my chaps ever; they're always in my saddlebags. Your mileage may vary!

04 1500 Classic
Mustang Seat
Sissy bar, luggage rack,
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Top Contributor

I agree with Pat, but to a lesser degree. If I know the temps will fluctuate enough to make me uncomfortable, I'll carry the chaps. I'll wear them in cool temps, on roads where I anticipate a lot of debris, and/or when I'm looking at a road that offers more risk.

The rest of the time, I'll wear kevlar re-enforced blue jeans, sometimes with the soft armor installed.

Bottom line, on a long trip, I'd at least have them in the saddlebag.

Enjoy

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degreaser View Post
Are you guys wearing blue jeans and leather chaps on trips or just blue jeans? Wife says I should just wear blue jeans on our 1 week July trip to PEI Canada cause I will have the chaps off more times then on, I have old frogg toggs for rain gear but the hot pipes burnt holes in the pant leg and I taped the insides with duck tape, but blue jeans is all I think I'm taking and my leather jacket
I don't wear chaps, but I've been thinking about buying a pair from Colorado Chaps:
http://www.coloradochaps.com/motorcycle_chaps.html.

Probably a good idea. Jeans don't last long on tar.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

mine are leather chaps, thick enough to be hot in summer time
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:23 PM

I am an ATGATT guy so I would never ride in just jeans or jeans with chaps.

I wear armoured textile pants whenever I ride.

My wife says I have a cute ass...I really don't want to shred all the skin off of it, which WILL happen if you land on your butt wearing jeans, even at 15 MPH.

Just my take on the situation. Your skin is yours to risk as you wish.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:16 PM

wearing chaps is gay

05 Vulcan Mean Streak, Vance & Hines Big Shots, Power Commander, Smoked Front lenses, 65 tbird rear signals 8000K HIDs, LED everything, black bullet headlight, teardrop mirrors, Barons Big Air kit, various powdercoated parts
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod View Post
wearing chaps is gay

I thought the same thing until a 40 degree day in Massachusetts. A friend let me wear his for my ride home. I was warm, rocks did not bother me when they hit the chaps and again I was WARM after my ride.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

wearing chaps is gay? you mean chaps don't look cool? I like the looks of chaps except in the summer when I stop I'm always wanting to take them off cause it's hot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode