Mentorship ride - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentorship ride

The base where I am stationed has a mentorship ride 3 times a year during the "riding season". Its always turns out to be a good time and considering we are getting paid to go ride our bikes for a day what could be bad. Anyway we had our end of the year ride which tends to be a little more fun as we do more tight curves and such. Well we had a newer rider in the group who has only had about 200 miles under his belt. This is a good thing by the way. We strive for the new guys to come out and learn from the experienced ones.

Well the ride started off great with beautiful weather and everyone had all the paperwork and good working bikes. So we headed down the road and on our first sharp left hand turn our new rider was just trying ride to stay with someone else and not doing his ride. He ended up trying to go into the turn to fast and hit the brakes hard to late. He did not go down or anything but instead stood the bike up and rode straight where it was safe. He did go for a little off road trip into a slightly wooded area and came out on the adjacent driveway. We discussed with him what went wrong and the things to do better the next time and he did really good for the rest of the day. For you new riders don't sweat keeping up with your buddy who has 12 years experience and knows his bike really well. For you experienced guys if you are leading someone like this be aware he is not you and go into those turns a little slower and let them know those sharp turns are coming up.

Now for everyone out there..... Later in the ride still on the fun sharp curves we all got a very nice butt pucker moment. We were rolling through the curves with no further issues on these nice back roads. Up until we come around a blind sharp left and low and behold there is this big 18 wheeler taking up a lane and a half so he can get around the turn. Despite all 18 of us going oh fudge we managed to all change all lean angle and turn radius like champs avoiding the semi and sand pile.

I figured I would type this up for the new riders and for us "experienced" guys so we can all learn. If anyone has any other input please feel free to jump in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Top Contributor

Great reminder, Thanks. Sometimes us "older" dogs forget the learning curve it took to get where we are. Enjoy and ride safe.. Glad everything turned out well for your group.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 AM

Garage
I think of all the things I have done "wrong" over the years, over-riding my stopping distance has created the most "close calls". I kind of chalk this up to "having too much fun". Glad everyone was able to change the lean & radius so well...!

2012 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Cobra Luggage Rack
Protac Driver Backrest
Kisan Tailblazer
Vista Cruise

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor68 View Post
I think of all the things I have done "wrong" over the years, over-riding my stopping distance has created the most "close calls". I kind of chalk this up to "having too much fun". Glad everyone was able to change the lean & radius so well...!
That's why it's more fun with Army guys ... just put the LT up front and if you don't see parts flying back at you, the curve should be good!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
That kicks ass that you do that. We are supposed to do quarterly rides but since I started riding four years ago I've been part of ONE, which lasted about five miles, all on base.

My first group ride was with four other people from my squadron. It wasn't an official "approved" ride, the five of us just wanted to go ride and we happened to be in Arizona so we went. I know it's best to ride your own pace, but at the same time, you also have to try new things if you ever expect to get better. I think getting to ride with them for a weekend made me more confident and comfortable on a bike. We had a similar pucker moment going towards Flagstaff when we rounded a sharp corner and there was a pickup truck at a dead stop in our lane with somebody leaning out the passenger window taking pictures. We all made it out with incident but it wasn't fun.

I'm trying to put something together for next Sunday. Not a leadeship or mentorship ride, just a group of instructors burning up some Alabama highways for a day. So far not much interest.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 06:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
The base where I am stationed has a mentorship ride 3 times a year during the "riding season". Its always turns out to be a good time and considering we are getting paid to go ride our bikes for a day what could be bad. Anyway we had our end of the year ride which tends to be a little more fun as we do more tight curves and such. Well we had a newer rider in the group who has only had about 200 miles under his belt. This is a good thing by the way. We strive for the new guys to come out and learn from the experienced ones.

Well the ride started off great with beautiful weather and everyone had all the paperwork and good working bikes. So we headed down the road and on our first sharp left hand turn our new rider was just trying ride to stay with someone else and not doing his ride. He ended up trying to go into the turn to fast and hit the brakes hard to late. He did not go down or anything but instead stood the bike up and rode straight where it was safe. He did go for a little off road trip into a slightly wooded area and came out on the adjacent driveway. We discussed with him what went wrong and the things to do better the next time and he did really good for the rest of the day. For you new riders don't sweat keeping up with your buddy who has 12 years experience and knows his bike really well. For you experienced guys if you are leading someone like this be aware he is not you and go into those turns a little slower and let them know those sharp turns are coming up.

Now for everyone out there..... Later in the ride still on the fun sharp curves we all got a very nice butt pucker moment. We were rolling through the curves with no further issues on these nice back roads. Up until we come around a blind sharp left and low and behold there is this big 18 wheeler taking up a lane and a half so he can get around the turn. Despite all 18 of us going oh fudge we managed to all change all lean angle and turn radius like champs avoiding the semi and sand pile.

I figured I would type this up for the new riders and for us "experienced" guys so we can all learn. If anyone has any other input please feel free to jump in.
The situation that you described (new rider trying to keep up with more experienced riders) is a serious issue. The more experienced riders in a group like this really need to throttle it back, and the less experienced riders need to be counseled to stay within their own limits.

One of the women that I used to ride with fell into the same trap when she was a new rider. She had purchased a Honda 750 Shadow and went for her first ride on the new to her Shadow with one of her "experienced" friends who owned a sportbike. The guy took off like a bat out of Hades and she tried to keep up with him. Her departure from the road did not end as well as the one you described. She crashed, broke her shoulder very badly, and had to be air lifted to the hospital.

Patriot Guard Rider
Taps Bugler - Bugles Across America
Sons of the American Legion

I spent most of my money on wine, women and motorcycles. The rest I wasted.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerE View Post
The situation that you described (new rider trying to keep up with more experienced riders) is a serious issue. The more experienced riders in a group like this really need to throttle it back, and the less experienced riders need to be counseled to stay within their own limits.

One of the women that I used to ride with fell into the same trap when she was a new rider. She had purchased a Honda 750 Shadow and went for her first ride on the new to her Shadow with one of her "experienced" friends who owned a sportbike. The guy took off like a bat out of Hades and she tried to keep up with him. Her departure from the road did not end as well as the one you described. She crashed, broke her shoulder very badly, and had to be air lifted to the hospital.
+1

Above all, you are the only one responsible for you. Not the guy leading the group, not your bike, not anyone else. You. You have to know your limits and your abilities (as well as the limits and abilities of your bike!).

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Color: Red
I've never understood why the new riders are not put in front for these kinds of rides. Or if you want someone experienced up front, put ONE mature, experienced rider in front, with the newbies next, THEN the rest of the gang following. Now the experienced riders will actually see what the newbies are doing right or doing wrong, and can give proper guidance at the next stop. If you are not interested in teaching the newbies and just wanna hammer it, then don't join the ride!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

We actually did have our Newbie behind the first 2 riders who were leading the ride as they knew the route and had ridden it multiple times. They were just not paying attention to the new rider fact for the first turn and corrected the issue on all the following turns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode