How about some helpful tips from us old timers - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner
October 2013

How about some helpful tips from us old timers

Been watching this forum and a thought came across my mind (now my brain itches lol) Some of us older riders that have seen everything and screwed up in about every way you could think of should post or antics here for the new riders to see, do's and don'ts, the things we just do naturally without thought at. Like seeing that EVERY car out there is after you at all times lol. One of the things I do that has saved my ass once is, when stopping at a traffic light, I never stop dead center of the car in front of me, always pull to the side of the lane and aimed to the side of the car, stay in 1st gear and WATCH your mirror, if the next car coming up don't look like even a little bit it's going to stop, GET THE HELL outta there, right up the side of the car you just aimed and set yourself to go around if needed, I don't start to lower my guard till at least 3 cars have stopped behind me. This saved my butt once, I was watching my mirror and the car coming didn't look right to me, I dumped the clutch and was outta there and SLAM he rear ended the car that WAS in front of me, the driver was texting and I would have been the special at The Waffle House. Another tip is, when coming to a side road with a car waiting for traffic, some say look at the driver to see if they are looking at you, well how many time have we heard, "I didn't see the motorcycle" ? Look at the front tire of the car, if it moves, take action. Always keep in the back of your mind a escape route if something goes sideways in front of you, like I said, in time you won't even think about what your doing, your just doing it.

Jim in Florida
1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider-Fla.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Veterans Nation Riding Association
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gearheadfl; 08-31-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 05:23 PM

Garage
Anyone starting out, or re-visiting riding, should take some version of the MSF course. So many lessons can be learned from the instructors there. Piggy backing off Jim, when I am coming upon a stopped car that is waiting to join traffic I glance at the driver then look at their wheels, If they are turning then I am slowing. Check way up the road and ride accordingly.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 05:23 PM
Top Contributor

I saw your comment in another thread about pulling to the side when behind a car. This was excellent advice that I have rarely followed but I am now going to start thinking this way. We need a way out in many situations.

We want to enjoy our rides and we want to be focused enough to survive another day. Lots of careless people out there and their lack of respect toward others can cost us big time. Great thread!

Last edited by Daboo311; 08-31-2013 at 05:25 PM.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Top Contributor

Be very, very careful crossing RR tracks! Around here they have steel plates between the tracks that are really slick all the time. They don't need rain to make them slippery! Cross them at a steady rate, as close to a right angle as possible and as upright as you can be. I trashed a bike and a lot of skin, way back when, learning this little tidbit...

post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 06:56 PM

Watch out for painted lines in the road. The paint that is used is very slick when wet. Even dew will make them as slick as ice. That goes for the turn arrows in lanes too.

I saw a rider making a left turn onto a side street during a light rain. He was doing great until he hit the white line on the side of the road. Then bam, down he went.

A steady throttle hand and staying as square as possible to the lines will keep you upright!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Nomad 1700
Cobra Luggage Rack
Airlite Crash Bar Chaps
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Vulcan Emblem on Passenger Back Rest
Fire and Steel Light Bar
Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Kuryakyn Power Point
Back Off XP Brake Light Modulator

08 900 Custom - Traded in!
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner
October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Watch out for painted lines in the road. The paint that is used is very slick when wet. Even dew will make them as slick as ice. That goes for the turn arrows in lanes too.

I saw a rider making a left turn onto a side street during a light rain. He was doing great until he hit the white line on the side of the road. Then bam, down he went.

A steady throttle hand and staying as square as possible to the lines will keep you upright!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
On the white line subject. Even when your coming to a stop in the rain, don't put you foot down on a painted line, it could slip and over you go, if you land right and the bike is on top of you, that's a good way to have to be on crutches for awhile, and if nothing more, everybody will see this trick and you will end up on U-Tube somewhere.

Jim in Florida
1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider-Fla.

Veterans Nation Riding Association
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Speaking of paint, it's easy to let your guard down in parking buildings. That paint is still slick!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:29 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Dunno if I'm really an 'old timer', but I've got a couple of tips; two common mistakes I keep seeing from folks around me.

1) Be on your guard, always. Successful (aka alive) motorcyclists ride proactively, not reactively. Nothing should catch you by surprise. When cars are in the 'danger zone', aka, stopped or slowing to make a left turn, with a blinker on, sitting in a driveway, appear to be going slower than other traffic; any of those 'red flags', you should be plotting an exit strategy. What's around? Can I swerve? Can I brake? Should I slow down now or can I proceed but just be cautious?

For example, I'm in the habit, when approaching cars stopped waiting to pull out or make a left turn, of checking the oncoming lane for traffic and covering my brake with my fingers. That way, if they do violate my right of way; I'm being PROACTIVE. A proactive rider knows that the lane is open (or knows that traffic is oncoming) and is already applying the brake when trouble happens. A REACTIVE biker has to get their bearings, apply their brakes, and begin looking around for an exit. Reactive bikers take more time; time you might not have.

2) Leave it in gear at a stop. Resist the temptation to pop it in neutral. Not only is it annoying to be behind 'that guy' while he gets it into gear and takes off; if someone decides to barrel down on you at a stop, you do NOT want to have to be dealing with your transmission! (Again, a reactive biker has to put the bike back in gear; a proactive biker is ready to take off!)

This one saved me a couple weeks ago. I was stopped at a light, and I looked in my rear view mirror to see a minivan coming to me at about 30mph, slowing down, but not slowing down near fast enough. I saw the drivers head bobbing up and down as she was fishing through her purse (or picking up whatever she dropped, etc.) in the floor. I was able to easily move it over onto the shoulder while she ran the red light; finally looked back up and sped up. I don't even think she realized she went through the intersection. Keeping it in gear made what could've been a bad accident nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 08-31-2013 at 11:31 PM.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadfl View Post
Been watching this forum and a thought came across my mind (now my brain itches lol) Some of us older riders that have seen everything and screwed up in about every way you could think of, should post our antics here for the new riders to see, do's and don'ts, the things we just do naturally without thought at.

Like seeing that EVERY car out there is after you at all times lol. One of the things I do that has saved my ass once is, when stopping at a traffic light, I never stop dead center of the car in front of me, always pull to the side of the lane and aimed to the side of the car, stay in 1st gear and WATCH your mirror, if the next car coming up don't look like even a little bit it's going to stop, GET THE HELL outta there, right up the side of the car you just aimed and set yourself to go around if needed, I don't start to lower my guard till at least 3 cars have stopped behind me.
This saved my butt once, I was watching my mirror and the car coming didn't look right to me, I dumped the clutch and was outta there and SLAM he rear ended the car that WAS in front of me, the driver was texting and I would have been the special at The Waffle House.

Another tip is, when coming to a side road with a car waiting for traffic, some say look at the driver to see if they are looking at you, well how many time have we heard, "I didn't see the motorcycle" ?
Look at the front tire of the car, if it moves, take action.

Always keep in the back of your mind a escape route if something goes sideways in front of you, like I said, in time you won't even think about what your doing, your just doing it.
I do keep a close watch on that other front tire,
And I've started lining up at stoplights off to the left of the rear bumper ahead of me

And lastly, the big escape route... take the less congested...and more enjoyable... way home.
You're on a bike, take the time to enjoy the view

You never see a bike parked outside a psychiatrist's office

07 Vulcan 900 custom,
96 VS800 Intruder,
01 1200 HD Sporty...

Last edited by Lkdelta; 09-01-2013 at 08:25 AM.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 01:07 PM

Garage
Best recommendation I could make would be to take the MSF Basic Rider Course.

And from that course: Look at where you want the bike to go, not at what you're trying to avoid.

2012 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Cobra Luggage Rack
Protac Driver Backrest
Kisan Tailblazer
Vista Cruise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode