Ringing in ears / full face helmet - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan Classic LT 900
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Blue/Silver
Ringing in ears / full face helmet

Okay begin ride again after 20 years, I do have tinitus For those of you who don't know tinitus is constant ringing in the ear. Sounds horrible but you do get used to that ring and pretty much can be ignored. When I first got the bike I only wore open face helmet, road for 1500 miles, sometimes an hour to two hours at a time. No additional ringing in my ears. I went to a three-quarter helmet with the shield and noticed how much louder everything was. Went for a total of a five hour ride to the mountains. Came back and noticed my ears were ringing louder, and they rang like that for a couple of days then back to normal. I know winter is going to be approaching so I started looking into a full face helmet to combat cold weather on the face. I bought a full face helmet. I rode with it for approximately 2 hours, the engine noise seems to have came up inside the helmet, exaggerating all the ways is and making engine sound louder than ever. and now my ears are ringing louder than ever. That was 2 weeks ago and the ringing has not subsided. I really don't think I'm going to be able to ride during the winter and wear a full face helmet without seriously damaging my hearing ! Has anybody out there experienced this? You might say, wear some of your plugs, that will solve it.....tried that too, I think that's what damage my ears with a full face more than anything! After the first round of ear ringing with the full face, I put in some earplugs, road for about 25 minutes. then it felt like my head was in a pressure cooker, and hurt my ears more than ever. In fact I think the earplugs coupled with the full face helmet is what caused the real serious ringing. I can't believe a full face helmet is louder to me then it opens face! If anybody has had success wearing certain earplugs, with full face helmet, that has tinitus too, please chime in and let me know what you did to help out with my problem. Thanks for all replies!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 PM

Garage
I have the beginnings of tinnitus (have ringing but can usually not hear it with some other sounds going on. If it's silent I can hear it. The full face worked OK for me and using the ANC earbuds helps with highway cruising for battling the wind noise. I can still hear it but it's not attacking my ear drums. When I pull them out at the end its like night and day

2011 Custom SE
current mods:
BK ISO grips w/TB
BK ISO Dually pegs
blacked-out signal/tail housings
clear lenses w/LED lights
fully debaffled exhaust
Batwing(MS) w/ 9" spoiler shield
Saddleman solo
hard bags (Mutazu MU)
230 rear tire, 90/90 front
Baron's rear pulley
future mods:
misc other things that cost money
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
I've had tinnitus for decades. Lesson for new Army recruits: cigarette butts are not adequate hearing protection for live-fire ranges-especially the 50-cal M2. But DAMN, it's so much fun! Anyway, I use the ear plugs that are designed to net normal conversation through. They have a tiny hole in them, which can be plugged if desired. I think that helps, as the tiny hole also allows air pressure to stay balanced. Worth a try, should be able to find some for around $25.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 PM
BOTM Winner
October 2013

I don't have tinnitus, but I have noticed that I can hear my radio better in a full face, that may be due to as you said it coming up through the bottom of the helmet now that I think about it, I mostly wear a half helmet unless it is raining, living in Florida we only have about a week or so of cold weather (in the 30's), Florida has no helmet laws, but that is just stupid.

Jim in Florida
1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider-Fla.

Veterans Nation Riding Association
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Top Contributor

I lived with it for a long time. My ears are ringing now. In fact, I thought it odd that I noticed it and then I noticed this thread. The full face is hard on the ears so I wear foam ear plugs. If you roll them right, they swell and filter out bad sound but let you hear what you need.

I have open face, 3/4, and full. The open face and 3/4 are great. The full face seems to amplify engine and wind noise but offers the most protection. Wearing FF will not damage your hearing. Wearing foam ear plugs will not damage your hearing. I sleep with them every night and have for 20 years.

I have learned to live with tinitus. I've not been diagnosed but know what it is. For some reason, it is bothering me at this moment. A little unusual because it rarely does to this degree. I know a guy that had it so bad, it affected much of his daily life. The last time I saw him, he was wearing hearing aids on both ears.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Are you sure your helmet fits right? Look up some videos on full face helmet fit. Usually, a noisy full face helmet is the result of a bad fit. Not every helmet is made equal. Some fit some people, others fit other people. For example HJC fits me well, (and my mom, who loves HJC, we must have similar genes or something! ). But my best friend gets horrible pressure when wearing an HJC lid AND huge gaps and says it's super noisy. (He just went online and bought one, instead of trying some on). Even after trying on other sizes he just couldn't find one that fit. Don't recall the brand he went with but it fits much better. Our heads don't look the same, so how could one helmet fit anyone?

There's more to it than size, there's also shape! Gotta try on different brands to combat that.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Are you sure your helmet fits right? Look up some videos on full face helmet fit. Usually, a noisy full face helmet is the result of a bad fit. Not every helmet is made equal. Some fit some people, others fit other people. For example HJC fits me well, (and my mom, who loves HJC, we must have similar genes or something! ). But my best friend gets horrible pressure when wearing an HJC lid AND huge gaps and says it's super noisy. (He just went online and bought one, instead of trying some on). Even after trying on other sizes he just couldn't find one that fit. Don't recall the brand he went with but it fits much better. Our heads don't look the same, so how could one helmet fit anyone?

There's more to it than size, there's also shape! Gotta try on different brands to combat that.
I'm no expert, but the helmet seems to fit perfect its snug but not tight, definitely not lose. its a vcan bluetooth modular, I did buy it online but measured head before I bought, and again it seems to fit perfect. I tried on m any helmets at a dealership. This seems to fit better than anything I tried on. Very frustrating.

post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 AM
Top Contributor

I'm 63 yrs old and have the ringing in the ears and I'm also going deft. You have to experiment with different ear plugs, thankfully they are all reasonably priced. Some work better than others for me, but I always will have to put up with some ringing after riding. Don't take NSIDS or aspirin before or during riding or the ringing will increase.

With the plugs I use now, the magnitude of the ringing is lower and usually goes away within 2 hrs after riding, unless I'm on a 2hr 75 mph ride, then I'm gonna have crickets in my ears for bout 6 hrs even with plugs. But without plugs at least 24 hrs.

Old Bear I was on a Browning M2 for awhile in Nam many yrs ago, I did not have ringing then, but firing it made my ears hurt some. The 60 didn't bother me though.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Hey Keller,
Check out this thread.
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26980

I found the etymotics to work well, but the fit isn't very comfortable.
I now use some of those 'earplane' type plugs from walmart. They really cut a lot of engine and wind noise, but still allow you to hear better than the foam ones.

BTW, it has to be VERY quiet for me to hear my ringing now.

A good source of information on helmets (including an evaluation of noisiness) can be found here.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
Hey Keller,
Check out this thread.
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26980

I found the etymotics to work well, but the fit isn't very comfortable.
I now use some of those 'earplane' type plugs from walmart. They really cut a lot of engine and wind noise, but still allow you to hear better than the foam ones.

BTW, it has to be VERY quiet for me to hear my ringing now.

A good source of information on helmets (including an evaluation of noisiness) can be found here.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Scott
Awesome...thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode