Embarrassed- messed up doing u-turn exercises - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Embarrassed- messed up doing u-turn exercises

Saturday I was practicing slow turns and u-turns in a parking lot. Still shaky in this particular area, but was doing ok. Dropped foot down on one right side u-turn, which tweaked my back slightly, but kept on and did a couple of more successfully. But then lo and behold screwed up a right side u-turn again and this time laid the bike on its side. I was angry and embarrassed.

I then lifted the bike up improperly to add injury to insult (said that backwards intentionally because that is literally what happened).

So as I've been trying to heal my aching back these last couple of days, I keep thinking back to what I did wrong on the u-turn. I know the answer is simple...I looked down and most likely let off the throttle completely to boot. I rode dirt bikes for years when I was young, but have only been driving a cruiser for a year. Yet I feel like I'm still new to riding. Had no problems in the MSF class last year, so I fear I am allowing my brain to start some bad habits with my riding.

But laying that bike down on a sharp u-turn exercise has not only embarrassed me, but has bothered me to no end. I keep telling myself the fix is easy...don't ever look down. But I fear I will let this incident linger in the back of my brain whenever I attempt slow turns or uturns again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

There is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. It happens to most of us. I still consider myself a new rider, bit more than one year of riding experience. I had exactly the same thing happened to me couple of months ago. Laid her down while practicing u-turn in the parking lot.
Just keep on practicing. It's all about doing it right. I got myself Ride Like a Pro book and DVD. Highly recommend it.

Good luck and ride safe

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
VulcanSrider likes this.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Tramp check this video out it might help
the link did not work right you may have to cut and past it.
chench53, Kawasoju2 and MikeG like this.

Last edited by TS Tinker; 07-22-2013 at 11:46 PM.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Ok maybe it did. The take away from the video is the bike will follow where ever your eyes are looking. This is one of the first techniques or tools of driving I taught my kids when they were learning how to drive. For some reason when I started riding on 2 wheels again after many years(who am I kidding, decades) away from them, I caught myself staring down double yellows in the middle of curves and road sides when I had to make quick left hand turns across on coming traffic onto narrow side streets. I have to make a u turn every time I come home so I can back the bike into the basement and the only thing that kept the bike from going all the way down one of the first times I did it was the very sturdy floor board bracket.

I have only watched a couple of this guy's videos but he seems to be dead on with the tips he provides.
dvictorh likes this.

Last edited by TS Tinker; 07-23-2013 at 12:41 AM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 AM

I am a new rider just bought my bike last week that's how new. When you go into a turn does it help to look at the end of the turn?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Absolutely! The farther you can see the better line or approach you can take for what is ahead. I know this is starting to look like a commercial for motorman but he is spot on in this short
chench53 likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Hey man, don't be embarrassed! There are a LOT of guys who will just hop on a bike and go, thinking taking time to learn to ride it is a waste of time. Then, the first time they are caught needing to make a U-Turn or are in an emergency situation, they get hurt, or at least seriously embarrassed, way worse than doing it by yourself when practicing!

I think you're right on the fix. Don't look down, and if it begins to dip, don't be afraid to add power. In low speed maneuvers, generally, adding power will straighten the bike up. That's a hard habit to train yourself because in our cars we are so used to hitting the brakes whenever we get into trouble!
chench53 and Kawasoju2 like this.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 AM
BOTM Winner
October 2015

Year/Make/Model: Classic
Color: Red / Silver
Garage
Great video's

Go ride? NW Chicago suburbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vulcan VN1700 LT
"Metallic Imperial Red / Metallic Titanium"
VBA Member 2908
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Color: Red
+1 what Romans said - if you feel like your falling, a little blip (LITTLE!) on the throttle will pull you back up. Heck, just drive on out of it if need be, that's why it's called practice.

While it's true that you need to look where you are going, in longer curves I find it better to break the curve up into segments. For a U-turn, I'll focus on halfway through, then shift my focus to my final spot before I get to the halfway spot. Focusing on the final spot tends to result in turning too sharply (for me!) resulting in the dreaded "Oh $hit!" sensation. That is the entire point of practice. Take everyone's suggestions, try them, then modify them to make the one that works best for you!
VulcanSrider likes this.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone...really appreciate all of the good information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode