is the Vulcan 900 capable of... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

is the Vulcan 900 capable of...

first let me start by saying that i am 6' 275 lbs (give or take).
I currently have an 06 shadow 750 spirit (first bike purchased it 2 months ago)
I quickly coming to the realization that shadow 750 is not for me. i like the maneuverability in the twisties and back/ county roads. on the highway its a different story. the bike can perform decently but i want a little bit more. i want something that feels comfortable going 80-85 mph on the highway (which my shadow is) but i want something that i can roll on the throttle while going 80-85 mph and can quickly deliver some oomph. something that when a car pull up and puts me in his blind spot, i can roll on the throttle and quickly get out of that potential hazard, and can do it with a little bit of an attitude. when i roll on my shadow it can gradually get me out of that hazzard, but not as quickly as i want nor with the attitude that i want. but i don't want to sacrifice my gas millage, or any maneuverability. i am figuring that since i am almost there with a 750 a 900 should be able give me what i want, but i am not sure, and its not like i can take it out for a test ride to see. i have people in my ear telling me that i need to look for something in the 1500 cc range but i am not sure if i agree with that. i am still a new rider, and i want the power and to be manageable for my experience level. your thoughts are appreciated, keep them coming please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Top Contributor

In aI'm not a tiny girl, and I've ridden with my daughter on the back of my Classic many, many times, and have no problems whatsoever. And, I've ridden on the back of my guy's Custom many times, and again, the get-up-and-go is never an issue. So, you, by yourself? No worries there.

"I taught your boyfriend that thing you like . . . "

Vulcan 900 Classic

Harley Davidson Road King (103")
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Lifetime Premium

Any V twin is going to be well out of the peak torque range at 80 to 85 mph, usually delivered around 3.400 to 3500 rpm.

Quote:
telling me that i need to look for something in the 1500 cc range but i am not sure if i agree with that. i am still a new rider,
A nomad 1600 will certainly have more punch than your 750, power is controlled by the twist of the wrist and what's between your ears, not necessarily by experience.

2 things, first I question ( and I'm playing the devils advocate here, not a criticism) what a newb would be doing riding around cars at 80 to 85 mph, (and wanting to increase the speed level) secondly, the more experienced you become, the less threatening 4 wheelers will seem. You may be putting yourself into your own situations.

The shadow may certainly be under powered for a man of your size, cruisers regardless of engine size, when compared to sport bikes and sport tourer's are as about as docile as you can get. Rolling on the throttle on a nomad is not like rolling on the throttle of a
R1.

The 900 is a bigger engine size , frame size and wheel base than your shadow by far, I'm just not sure whether the "roll on " is going to be what you expect.

Riding is all about focus, defensive skills, pre-emptive vision, owning your own travel lane and riding with authority (not aggressively), showing people you belong there. I see far to many (and this may not be you) newbs (you can pick em a mile off) riding timidly, stiff armed, petrified and over reacting to traffic, to which 4 wheelers take advantage of this situation and put you in situations that you may not be comfortable with.

We have all been there.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

@whiting57,
no offense taken, i am in agreement with you. I have been a rider for a very short period of time, but i have been licensed a couple of times and have taken the msf course a couple of times. I let the endorsement on my license go the first time because i wasn't regularly riding, when i had the money to purchase a bike i went through the course again. I do like to ride/ drive at what some consider a slightly accelerated rate when on the interstate. i am there to get somewhere, if i want a slower ride, i would take back/county roads, which i often do. cars aren't really my issue. but again, if i am forced in a blind spot i want the option be able to accelerate to get out of it as opposed to slowing down. i am definitely not a timid rider, and riding feels very comfortable. i love the styling of the cruiser and most of my riding is under 85 mph. contrary to how i may be stating my issue/claims, i do not have a death wish. i want a cruiser that is easy to maneuver, that can support 2 up at times, and feels comfortable on the highway.
I am not asking for something that does 150+ that isn't me.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
Any V twin is going to be well out of the peak torque range at 80 to 85 mph, usually delivered around 3.400 to 3500 rpm.

The 900 is a bigger engine size , frame size and wheel base than your shadow by far, I'm just not sure whether the "roll on " is going to be what you expect.
+1!!

The long stroke V-twins used for cruisers are torque machines with lot's of smiles on the low end.

The 900 is a great bike and a lot of people are happy with it's performance at 80mph.
I wasn't. I was perfectly happy with everything from 0-60; but feel safer with some punch at higher speeds.

Even my 1700 VV could stand to have a little more roll-on at 75.
I hear the V2K will push you back even at over 100mph.

A lot of the Kaw dealerships currently have 'test' bikes to try.
Put your zip code into this page and see if dealers near you have test rides available.
http://www.kawasaki.com/DealerLocator/default.aspx

At 6' foot & 275; I wouldn't spend money on another mid sized bike. Even if it means getting some more miles on that 750 to gain confidence before moving up.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Top Contributor

Not trying to sound like a jerk, (I have a hard time sugar coating things sometimes) but it sounds like you don't know what you want. First you say you are a new rider, then you say your not. It is nice having that kind of power, but with great power comes great respect for said power. Keeping your eyes open will keep you out of danger more than the few times having to power to get out of the way will.

If you have great respect and listen to that fatty substance between your ears, you can ride a 500 just as safely as a zx-14 ninja. Sounds like you need to try out some bikes and see what you like. As you can see I ride an 08 V2K. They won't go much faster than any other vtwin cruiser. It will just get you there quicker and won't slow down on steep hills and can load it down like an old broken down mule.

With some modern V-twins (modern as in the 900 kaw, 950 yam and such) they are just as capable as their older larger counterparts. The 900 Kaw is just as capable as the carbed 1500 classics. Don't let the displacement make the decision for you.

Also don't be afraid of a bigger bike. They are nothing to be afraid of. Just treat them with the respect they require and you will be happy. Stepping off of my big bike soap box now. Find a bike that is comfortable, that will do what you NEED it to do, enjoy, and ride safe.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

Last edited by SWVA_08V2k; 05-20-2013 at 09:08 AM.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Hey, I've got a 750 shadow AND a 900 Vulcan!

Even though there's only a 150cc difference in displacement there's a big difference in power. The 900 has plenty of power. It's much stronger than the 750, and much more stable than the 750.

That said; if you wanna go even bigger; like Scott said, you really need one of the MUCH bigger bikes. The 900 and 1500 have the same amount of horsepower, for example. Fuel injection and modern engine designs allow smaller engines to make lots more power. A 1700 or V2K though will have lots of power!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
i like the maneuverability in the twisties and back/ county roads. on the highway its a different story. the bike can perform decently but i want a little bit more.
Every motorcycle owner wants a little bit more of something. We like what we got but always wondering about another.

My take on this is a little different because experience is what is needed here.

I had a 750 and probably would still have it if I had not dropped it at 5 mph and totaled it. I had it less than a year and was first bike.

It is the perfect bike for you at this time. Give yourself more time and miles on the bike. I would suggest that for now, you try and avoid highways. We get to feeling pretty confident after a few months and few hundred miles but you will always find yourself in a learning situation. You need more time... then move on to something else.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

@swva_08v2k
you don't sound like a jerk. no need to sugar coat, i am a big boy. i am fairly new. i did get licensed before and have gone through the course befor but no actual riding experience outside of the courses until i got my current bike 2 months ago. you are right, i do need to try out a few. i would like to stay away from the bigger bikes for other reasons as well (weight, insurance costs). i am basically looking for a cruiser that will last for a few years, then i will get another bike and possibly keep whatever this one may be for riding around town.
@Scott_in_TX
your right, i need to test ride. have spoken to a kawaski dealer about the 900, i will give it a ride, and other before i come to a conclusion. the one thing that i know, is that the honda 750 is not for me. i like the styling, but it could stand to be a little longer, and i would prefer something with a tad more power.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Top Contributor

I also agree with you that the 750 is a bit on the small size (frame wise). I rode a short stint on an 1100 Yamaha custom. At that time I was your height and plus 25 lbs. It is not a big guy bike. Just not enough room. During the fall and winter, I lost 65 lbs and it was more comfortable but losing weight don't help with the length of the bike.

I have one more bit of advice to offer. Don't but a bike just because it is cheaper to own and operate and try to turn it in to something it is not, you will waste a ton of money and still end up trading or selling it to get what you wanted in the first place. It sounds like you have a plan for that already, just wanted to put that out there.

Another good thing about the 900 is that despite its smaller displacement it has good pep. Also the frame of the bike is longer than a lot of your "BIG" bikes. You will have room to stretch out on it, if that is the position you want. Also if you are married or have a lady friend that rides on the back. The 900 has a good amount of room for a passenger too (the classic that is).

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode