Doing your own maintenance - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
VRAC Nation President
BOTM Winner Sept. 2013 & Nov. 2014

Garage
Doing your own maintenance

I have a 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom and would love to learn how to do all my own maintenance any suggested videos a gal can watch to learn this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Just go on YouTube. There are a bunch of videos that Ive found. Plenty of info for oil changes and such..... Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Highly recommend buying a manual, Clymer is a popular choise, but Haynes or a factory manual will help. The factory manual will most likely assume you already have a general idea of what your doing, were the other 2 are for more basic kowledge with more detail into the how to area. The factory version will tell you what to do, were the othes may tell you to seek the service department.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 AM

I agree with Rick, at least to a point. If you have only limited mechanical expertise, then the aftermarket manuals will probably take you as far as you would want to know. If your mechanical abilities and powers of comprehension are a bit further advanced, you won't be happy with anything less than the factory book.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Top Contributor

If you do get a manual, I know it sounds weird but, study your manual before you decide to do any work to your bike. Some manuals, including the Kawasaki Service manual for my V2K will have you jumping back and forth between sections. For example if you need to change your battery (this is not advice because I don't know how to access it in your 900) you would go to the electronic sections and you will find the directions. It will say something similar to "Remove your seat as outlined in section 2.3" then "remove side panel as outlined in 4.2". then it will start to give you directions starting at your battery box.

They can be annoying at first but after you learn the set up of the book and the basic steps of the normally removed parts it will get A LOT EASIER to use.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
I agree with Rick, at least to a point. If you have only limited mechanical expertise, then the aftermarket manuals will probably take you as far as you would want to know. If your mechanical abilities and powers of comprehension are a bit further advanced, you won't be happy with anything less than the factory book.
+1 on that. you slipped this in as I was typing mine. That is good advise. It don't hurt to push your level of comfort a bit but if you want to make a mechanic mad, take half of a bike, a box full of parts, and say "Fix This". Boy are you going to pay for it. .

And I am one of those people that want the factory manual. Nothing I hate worse than following the steps and then running in to, "if you still don't find a problem, contact a professional". AHHH I HATE THAT.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

Last edited by SWVA_08V2k; 04-19-2013 at 11:51 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
VRAC Nation President
BOTM Winner Sept. 2013 & Nov. 2014

Garage
Thanks guys this helps a lot.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 AM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
I realize this thread is a month old, but thought I would chime in.

1) Buy a lift. 60 bucks from Harbor Freight (if you use coupon). This is the best thing you can do.

2) Never ever hesitate to ask advice/help. I think at one point, it seemed like half the threads in the V2K section were my "how do I..." questions.

3) Don't ever be embarrassed asking for help. The only embarrassment should be if you screw something up cause you didn't ask....

If I can post about the following... well, read the entire think and you will understand.

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23883

Wrench away!

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:04 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Red, but I "identify" it as being Flat Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post
3) Don't ever be embarrassed asking for help. The only embarrassment should be if you screw something up cause you didn't ask....
I'll be coming here for help

“Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented.” – Gilbert Keith Chesterton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

crzydjm AT gmail DOT com
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post
I realize this thread is a month old, but thought I would chime in.

1) Buy a lift. 60 bucks from Harbor Freight (if you use coupon). This is the best thing you can do.

2) Never ever hesitate to ask advice/help. I think at one point, it seemed like half the threads in the V2K section were my "how do I..." questions.

If I can post about the following... well, read the entire think and you will understand.

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23883

Wrench away!
Totally agree. We've all been noobs at one point. Along with some digging, and hands on, you'll start giving tips of your own. Don't get frustrated the first few times, you can always ask for advice. When you get done by yourself, the next best feeling to riding, is your accomplishment and acquired knowledge. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode