PrePaid Maintenance - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

PrePaid Maintenance

I purchased a used Vulcan 500 LTD (from a Honda dealer no less), and I was wondering about the consensus on prepaid service plans. I'm not 100% sure what the agreement covers, but I wonder whether to purchase it or not.

1 year costs $599, 2 years is $799, and it is transferable to a new owner. Seems a steep price to pay for oil changes and chain lube, but I'm not a wrench and don't have much interest in doing my own maintenance.

My gut feeling is to simply pay for oil changes and scheduled maintenance as it comes along. Being a new rider, I don't even know how much I will ride. The service technician said that 4K is the break-even point.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
If you think you'll ride more than 4k, and you don't want to do the work yourself, then it can be a good deal. I'd just make sure the paperwork is pretty clear on how much you want to use. Remember- the house always wins, they intend to make money off of you. So if you think you might ride like 15-20k and find out the service plan only covers three oil changes and chain lubes in two years, you'll be spending some money! Of course some of those things can be a gamble that you can win. Sometimes they'll price it at a level based on the 'average' user, so they can entice riders to buy when they'll end up using way less than they pay for it, at the cost of a handful of guys who actually ride enough for it to be a good deal. So you COULD be on that end that ends up winning, versus all of those guys who barely ride, just use their bikes as garage ornaments.

Although, I'm having a REALLY hard time believing 4,000 miles is the break even point. That's basically one service, right? I mean the manuals service intervals range from 5k-7,500 miles (with some at 8 or 12 or 15k). So, $600 for ONE service to break even? I dunno... Now, again, if you ride alot, the service plan includes pricey things like valve adjustments and you have no desire to do that on your own- it's the way to go.. it's ALL in the fine print.

Also, are you POSITIVE you don't want to do your own maintenance? Oil changes are a piece of cake, once you've done it once or twice it's a 20 minute job and most of that is spent watching oil drain out of the engine. I ride 15-20k a year, and my annual maintenance is significantly less than $600/yr. I run full synthetic, motorcycle-specific oil and a premium filter. Under $50 an oil change, and $50 an oil change is pricey as those things go! So, every 5k I spend $50, that means each year I'm at $150-$200. It will take me 3 years at 20,000 miles a year to spend as much money as 4,000 miles @ 1 year at that dealer price. In other words, $600 can maintain by bike (oil changes anyway) for 60,000 miles. If you add coolant flushes and brake fluid changes, a thing I do annually that doesn't cost very much, you are STILL in excess of 40-50k on that same $600 price tag if you do it yourself.

Just my $0.02!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 03-30-2013 at 07:47 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Even if you pay a shop to do maintenance, I don't think you'll spend any where near that much. And like Romans said, oil changes, chain and cable lube, and coolant are pretty easy on this bike. In my opinion, this is only a good deal for the dealer. I would pass.

2006 Vulcan 500 LTD
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

OK, I think I decided.....I'm not going to do it. I assume dealers are dealers whether they sell bikes or cars or boats. I would NEVER pay the dealer to change the oil in my car. WAAAAAY too expensive (and I have to wait a couple of hours).

Romans5.8, actually, I think I might get real used to changing my own oil. Valve adjustments might not be my thing, but I think I can do oil. Especially if it's less than half the dealer price.

Thanks for the thoughts. You save me at least $500.00 in unnecessary charges.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvanz View Post
OK, I think I decided.....I'm not going to do it. I assume dealers are dealers whether they sell bikes or cars or boats. I would NEVER pay the dealer to change the oil in my car. WAAAAAY too expensive (and I have to wait a couple of hours).

Romans5.8, actually, I think I might get real used to changing my own oil. Valve adjustments might not be my thing, but I think I can do oil. Especially if it's less than half the dealer price.

Thanks for the thoughts. You save me at least $500.00 in unnecessary charges.

Nothing wrong with getting the dealer to do the more advanced stuff, but the oil changes are a cakewalk.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:45 AM

I purchased the service plan when I bought my 900, four years ago. At the time I didn't want to do the maintenance on my bike either. It payed for "so many " oil changes, valve adjustments, etc, etc. I ended up using all the oil changes up in 2 years instead of 4 because I put on lots more miles than I thought I would. It did pay for the valve adjustment. But truly that's about it. Other than the basic service every 3000 miles.

I would not purchase it again. I learned a couple of things from my experience. 1. Oil changes a really easy and cheap to do on your own. 2. Don't buy a bike that needs to have the valves adjusted manually. That's because there's more work to it than I want to do.

BTW, Congrats on your new ride!

2012 Nomad 1700
Cobra Luggage Rack
Airlite Crash Bar Chaps
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Vulcan Emblem on Passenger Back Rest
Fire and Steel Light Bar
Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Kuryakyn Power Point
Back Off XP Brake Light Modulator

08 900 Custom - Traded in!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to say thanks for the encouragement. Changed the oil last weekend, adjusted the chain, lubed everything. Really glad I didn't buy that service package.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 07:33 AM

Garage
the local honda shop near me does oil changes for $29.99 + tax. I can't beat that even if I do it myself.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic
  • Saddleman Profiler Seat
  • Memphis Shades Fats 17"
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS2 View Post
the local honda shop near me does oil changes for $29.99 + tax. I can't beat that even if I do it myself.
Ain't that the truth? I pay more than that just for the oil.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS2 View Post
Yikes, not bad!

The question is, how does their pricing schedule change for synthetics? I about wanna pull my hair out when I see synthetic oil changes costing significantly more than conventional. The oil costs more, sure. But the labor is IDENTICAL. I saw a sign at the local quick-lube (car) place advertising $25 conventional and $65 synthetic. It is not anywhere NEAR $40 more, even retail, for synthetic oil of the same brand as conventional!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode