Moving soon...need to move bike - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Moving soon...need to move bike

Hello all. I recently accepted a job in Temple, Texas. I will be moving sometime in the next few weeks from Georgia to Texas. Wondering what are some options are for moving a bike cross country other than riding it. I've looked into renting a uhaul trailer and trailering it. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 AM
BOTM Winner, December 2013

get a quote from a shipping/moving company, rent/buy a trailer, ride it, or sell it..... those are about the only options......and its only a few states over.....1000 miles.... thats just a good weekend ride !!!

VN 900 custom "Cheapo-Glide"
Reckless (clone of) fairing
Sony dsx-s100 stereo
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Lifetime Premium

Sorry, it's the first thing that popped-up on google search for: 'motorcycle shipping georgia'

http://motorcycles.uship.com/georgia/

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepiper View Post
Hello all. I recently accepted a job in Temple, Texas. I will be moving sometime in the next few weeks from Georgia to Texas. Wondering what are some options are for moving a bike cross country other than riding it. I've looked into renting a uhaul trailer and trailering it. Any other ideas?
I think you can ship across the country for about $600+. They can take weeks to get your bike back to you.

I looked at U-Haul for Atlanta to Temple. They don't have any motorcycle trailers, but they do have an open utility trailer that would work. It cost $177 for 5 days use.
That is if you already have a truck. If you don't; you will be required purchase one within 1 year of moving to Texas.

I agree with Worm, I would try to find a way to ride it. Even if I had to leave it with a friend for a couple of weeks and buy a 1 way ticket to GA. And enjoy a two wheeled weekend!

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
You mean they no longer require "Proof of Truck Ownership" at the border? My, the country-uh, state, has gone to hell since I left!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
U-Haul does make a motorcycle trailer but it's for 'local' use only. You have to return it to the same U-Haul you rented it from and there are mileage limits.

I think the best solution is to borrow/beg/buy/rent a good flat trailer and use plenty of straps. Sometimes you can find an old tandem axle trailer in decent condition for less than you can rent one of U-Hauls rigs, that'll fit your bike and probably a few boxes or other things too! Then just sell it when you get there, or fix it up and keep it!

That also requires a truck, but, U-Haul also rents pickup trucks, like an F-150, for a decent price.

Some people suggest selling the bike and buying a new bike when you get there. That works if you were on the fence about a new bike anyway but, even if you spend only what you made on selling your bike, taxes and such in most places is probably more for that bike than the cost of shipping it.

I helped a family friend move, but it was just about 70 miles away. But we loaded his bike in the back of the U-Haul box truck! But, then again, we had the flexibility of making several trips because it wasn't very far. Not sure if that would work for moving your bike.

What else are you planning on using for the move? Sometimes moving companies/rental places will give you a discount on a trailer to pull behind their vans. I know U-Haul offered to this guy, for a motorcycle trailer. But he determined the mileage of an extra 140 mile round-trip was cheaper than renting the trailer and making one less trip.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Top Contributor

harbor freight sell trailer and motorcycle rails

sell it when done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 06:42 PM

Hitch mounted carrier? If you have a truck. I have one rated at 600 lbs and have hauled my 800 on the back of my truck from Ga to Mytle Beach and back no problem.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for your replies. I do have a truck, a 99 Chevy Silverado 1500. I looked up on uhaul.com and found the trailer a couple of you spoke of. Thats one option a couple of you mentioned that I am considering. I looked into a shipping company, $640 was the price I saw. Riding it from GA to Texas is starting to appeal to me. Take a long, 3 or 4 day weekend and knock it out. Going to look into purchasing a trailer too. Selling the bike, not right now, she's still my baby.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I perused a Craigslist near you and found several large flat and even motorcycle specific (the kind with the rails) trailers for under $350. Not sure what the cost of the uhaul was but that's half the cost of shipping it and you get to keep it!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode