Countersteer - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Countersteer

I am a new rider with only 2 months of riding under my belt so far. I havent taken a riding course yet, just been kinda winging it. On the ride training so to say. Well I was on youtube watching some riding tips videos, and I ran across a video on Countersteer. Turn left to go right and right to go left. Sounded to me like the Cars movie when Doc said "if you turn hard enough right, you'll find yourself going left." Well I had to see if there was any practical truth to that, and went out on the bike. Talk about a weird feeling lol. It took some getting used to but I find myself doing it all the time now. For me it makes lane changes and right turns SO much smoother. It actually started me to be more in tune with my bike, and I am a lot more comfortable on her now.

1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic (carb)

"The true Man wants two things, danger and play. Therefore he chooses woman, the most dangerous plaything."... Nietzsche
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 PM

Garage
Ha, good to see your figuring it out. We have been countersteering our bikes since the training wheels came off and did not even know it. In a sweeping turn to the right you can do it one handed by just pushing forward on the right grip. It tips the bike and right you go. Everyone overcomplicates it and makes it seem like your taking a left turn before you go right but it is really just a natural thing that if you think about it your likely to over think it.

03 vn800 custom bobber

"can you ride my bike? probably, may you? NEVER"
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Thats exactly what I was doing, over thinking it. Then it became natural, second nature. And my ride is a hell of a lot more enjoyable now

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:49 PM

I've been practicing this for 25 years now. I just recently watched a video a local rider posted "showing how easy his Harley was to ride", it was very noticeable that he was turning into the corner. Thinking it might be an optical illusion I started paying attention to the gap (from side to side) between the handlebars and the tank, which was how I noticed his technique. WOW! I THOUGHT I was barely pushing right to go right, but see now there is quite a bit of movement on the bars.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 12:28 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Everyone counter steers in many situations, but some people realize it! It's one of those things where, once you recognize that's what you're doing, you have tremendous control of your machine.

Countersteering is how I, personally, ride my bike 99% of the time. Excluding low speed maneuvering of course, and occasional sweeping interstate turns. But, if you think it's good for changing lanes and high speed turns, watch how awesome it is to have that level of precise lean-angle control on your every day riding! The other advantage of doing it intentionally in all of your riding, is if you ever have to swerve, it's now second nature. You'll be amazed how quick you'll get out of harms way when you are an 'accomplished' counter-steerer.

My 2 cents!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:03 AM

Counter steering is something i practice every time I get on my 900 and go for a ride. Really helps on the curves and cornering, lane changing, swerving, etc etc.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:34 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Glad you figured it out - DO yourself a favor and take the course - I took my first one in 1989 - and have taken it a few times since - I am now trying to take the Advanced course every three years - and you know what? I learn something every time I take it . . .

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:56 AM

I took the MSF course last weekend and countersteering was taught and tested. The material in the course is excellent. I encourage anyone to take it, beginner or experienced rider. My plan is to ride for a couple years or so, practice, practice, practice what I learned in the course in a parking lot, then take the advanced/experienced riders course.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 07:26 AM

RobLaidBack, If I may make a suggestion. I purchased the Ride Like a Pro series of DVD's (full disclosure: I am in no way associated with them, except by using their product). I found them to be really eye-opening. They focus on slow speed, however some much transfers to what you do above 20 Kilometers as well. But I did not just watch the video, I bought 20 small cones and got out in the parking lot and practiced too. I rode back in the 70s and 80s and then got away from it, coming back in 2010. So I'm not new to riding, but sure needed to knock off some rust. I think the DVD's were a great investment.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepiper View Post
I took the MSF course last weekend and countersteering was taught and tested.
Do they also tell you about LEANING the right way in a turn ?

That's the other thing that new riders often learn to do wrong if they just wing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode