Took the MSF Course this weekend - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Took the MSF Course this weekend

and completed it successfully with flying colors! The material, both the written and the skills/riding part of the course, was great. My instructor was very helpful, very patient with us. I rode a Honda NightHawk 250 that was provided by the course. It had dents in the gas tank and other wear and tear on it from being used in the course so much. But it got me through the skills part of the of the course successfully so I am not complaining. I highly recommend taking this course for anyone who rides, beginner or experienced rider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
+1

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:31 PM

Congrats! It's a great class and must have in my book.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Top Contributor

Congrats! The skills you learned there, if practiced, may save you and your bike someday.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 AM

I took the first 2 (of 4) days of it this weekend. I understand now why so many people are killed on bikes. Out of 11 of us, only 5 can ride worth a damn. I got stuck behind a guy that kept stalling out, wouldn't go past first gear and couldn't figure out the instructions. There were probably 6 people like him. One lady quit early on the second day because she just couldn't figure out how to not drop a bike.

Let me just say that no stereotypes were broken this weekend. It was amazing how difficult it was for some people to do the easiest maneuvers.

Two more days left this coming weekend. More classroom time. Is it a law that Drivers Ed videos have to be 11 years old and look like they were produced by 19 year olds?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:07 PM
BOTM Winner, April 2014

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood View Post
I took the first 2 (of 4) days of it this weekend. I understand now why so many people are killed on bikes. Out of 11 of us, only 5 can ride worth a damn. I got stuck behind a guy that kept stalling out, wouldn't go past first gear and couldn't figure out the instructions. There were probably 6 people like him. One lady quit early on the second day because she just couldn't figure out how to not drop a bike.

Let me just say that no stereotypes were broken this weekend. It was amazing how difficult it was for some people to do the easiest maneuvers.

Two more days left this coming weekend. More classroom time. Is it a law that Drivers Ed videos have to be 11 years old and look like they were produced by 19 year olds?
The lady that kept dropping her bike should have stayed. Here in Ohio according to the instructor that led the class I took a few years ago EVERYTHING that happens during the learning portion of the class doesn't mean anything. There was an older fellow that did the same thing in our class. The morning of the last day we were instructed on manuvers that we would have to do during the test. The last 1/2 of the last day was the actual testing. As long as you were able to manuver correctly during the test thats all that counted. The only other guy that rode his bike to the classes that I thought could ride FAILED during the manuverability tests, the old man that dropped the bike PASSED. The moral of the story for all that are going to the classes... "DONT GIVE UP "

'03 MEANSTREAK

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all here. My plan is to ride more, longer rides, ride to work, church, wherever. Continue practicing the skills learned in the course in a parking lot. Then get more training, either taking the experienced riders course or RLAP or something else.

There were 6 of us in the class. Only myself and one other person owned bikes. The other 4 had experience ranging from never being on a bike before to having ridden several years ago and just getting back into it. One guy did not even know how to drive a stick shift or use a manual transmission, but after he got it down he did great. Overall a very positive learning experience.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steammaker View Post
The lady that kept dropping her bike should have stayed.

Yeah, no kidding. She didn't want to succeed. No idea why she signed up and stole someone's spot. There were other ladies in the class smaller than her than managed their way through it.

I'm more concerned about the guys though...most of them just couldn't figure out the first step. Couldn't go in a straight line and wouldn't go over 12 MPH.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 05:13 PM

I took the class in August and was glad I did. It changed so many things about how I ride for the better, plus I got to skip the skills test at DMV. You don't actually get out of the test, the instructors change hats and give the test.

My 17.5 yo daughter took the class over the weekend. She had almost no riding experience, just a little bit with me in an empty parking lot where I showed her basic control, starting, stopping, shifting to 2nd, etc. She beat me on the skills test. I only got a 98, she got 100 %.

Those guys are good. One woman really didn't look like she would make it through. She didn't quit though and she passed the skills test in good shape. Their patience is amazing considering what some students pull.

So, I came out of the class fully qualified to ride a small bike at low speeds in a parking lot. The real skills are still being learned.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood View Post
Yeah, no kidding. She didn't want to succeed. No idea why she signed up and stole someone's spot.
Riding isn't for everyone. Some people will *never* master the skills needed to do it safely, and they don't always figure that out until they try it.

One of the things you learned in class was that everyone has their own level of acceptable risk. Another thing you learned was "Ride your own ride".

Well, that lady figured out her risk level (before she got hurt or killed, thank God), and made the decision that was best for herself.

You are in no position to say what was right for her. Ride your own ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode