Any lady riders willing to take a newbie under her wing - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Any lady riders willing to take a newbie under her wing

Hello, I am new to riding and would love to hear from some woman riders; your experience, your advise and even suggestions on apparel (not for vanity sake either, lol). No offense gentleman but sometimes a sister needs another sister! : ) I took the MSF class here in Illinois this past June and recently purchased my first bike. I chose the 1999 Vulcan CN500 as it was a perfect fit for my 5'3 frame. I know only two woman who ride and I would love to hear from more. Like your opinions on joining a riding club. Did anyone fear turns and/or speed and how did you overcome it. Looking forward to hearing from my fellow lady riders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 08:02 AM

Practice, practice, practice. The best way to get experience is to ride often. Google "meetup groups" in your area and you will find local women who ride. As far as apparel, that is kind of personal preference. I wear a guy's jacket by fieldsheer and women's pants by tourmaster. Find a few people who ride and hook up with them is going to be your best bet. Ride safe. Good luck.
-Terese

'04 1500 Classic
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 01:59 PM

congrats on taking the msf course and getting your bike! i'm 46, started riding 4 years ago and my first bike was a kawa 500. people cautioned me against that bike for the sole reason that you are likely to outgrow it quickly (and i did; after 2 years i moved up to a vulcan 800 classic). but i have no regrets because it the 500 was a wonderful bike to learn on. it's very nimble and responsive and the engine size is great for a new rider, in particular a woman in my opinion.

i started out riding on my own. practice, practice, practice is right. find parking lots and quiet streets and just ride around to build up your skills and confidence and to learn the bike. ride as often as you can find time, even if just short rides to run errands. i rode with a friend last year, a new rider, and that was fun. this year i joined a group of ladies that ride (their average years of riding is like 15 to 20 years) and it's been absolutely great. i've learned so much. my first times riding in the rain, or at night or on the freeway have been less daunting when i had others to ride with. riding with a group has helped me challenge myself more in my riding. i recommend that after you've built up some skills and confidence find a group of women to ride with that are willing to be patient and take a variety of rides to give you different experiences.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 06:28 AM

My wife belongs to the Motor Maids.
http://www.motormaids.org/
They are a great bunch of ladies and include all skill levels.
We attended the annual convention a couple of months ago and had a blast.
They also have local chapters that get together and do day rides.
If you want to message or e-mail me, I can put you in contact with my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode