3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tom Chesher
  • 1 Post By vulturecruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2002 Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 800
Proud Vulcan owner

I recently sold my adventure touring bike and bought a Vulcan 800. I have not owned a cruiser style bike before and to be honest the style of bike just didn't appeal to me... before now that is. When I found myself rarely if never going off road I decided to ditch the adventure bike and try a cruiser.

What a surprise! I am liking the comfortable seating position, the low centre of gravity and I can easily touch the ground for a change which is a bonus. I cant get enough of the engine sound and there is ample power for my needs. It goes without saying that my 'cool factor' rating has increased tenfold compared to when riding the old Honda Transalp!

I bought the bike from a guy who lived near the ocean and the bike had no doubt lived its life away from the comfort of a garage.
There was a tinge of rust to many parts of the bike and I could tell that it had lacked a TLC, I am sure the owners idea of looking after the bike was limited to spending 2 minutes per year polishing the chrome parts! However I could tell that the bike had good potential and the price was right. After a quick test ride I was convinced that it was a good match for what I was after. The torque, riding position and sound had me hooked. The other alternative bike was a Triumph Speedmaster which needed a bit of money spent on it so I opted for the lower cost option.

When the bike was safely home in my garage I was able to inspect closer. The chain was in bad need of lubrication and will need replacing soon. The oil was jet black and of a water like consistency, the oil filter looked like it had never been changed in the bikes life. After oiling the chain I replaced the oil filter and filled her up with some nice new semi-synthetic oil.

As much as I wanted to strip the bike and clean it right up, I had promised myself a day out riding. I took off on a 3 hour ride into the Adelaide hills and Barossa Valley. It was a fantastic ride with sunny weather, some great coffee and a quick beer at Mt Pleasant. When I made it home I could have easily turned around and done it all over again.

One thing that became quickly obvious in the winding hills roads was that the handling is a lot different to my Adventure bike. I cant be as aggressive when cornering without the footpegs scraping in defiance. The bike certainly has its limits in handling but now I know them I can adjust my riding style to suit. The ride is a lot harsher over bumps than my old bike which had loads of suspension travel, its not uncomfortable though and kind of adds to the bikes character.

I have now began intensive cleaning of the bike starting from the front and working back, lubing parts and removing as much rust and dirt as humanly possible. I cant stand a dirty bike ! The guards and tank have pinstripes which I am also considering removing to give it a more plain look. I have ordered chrome radiator cover, chrome horn cover and some Vulcan classic badges for the tank. Will be adding some saddle bags in the future. Maybe a windshield if I decide to do some longer trips.

Overall I am very happy with the bike, it is certainly capable of putting a great big grin on my face and giving me the awesome sense of freedom and fun that motorcycle riding offers. What more could you want ! besides maybe a Vulcan 900? mmmmmm......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_180703.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	220833   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180526_095931.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	220841   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_180713.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	220849  
glhadiator and Longshot_34 like this.

Last edited by Tom Chesher; 05-28-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:09 AM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
Welcome from the Dark Side!

Great intro post!

I've been riding all my life; dirt, motocross, enduro's, sport bikes touring and cruisers. But to be honest, nothing is quite like the cruiser!

I have no doubt that your bike will quickly become un-recognizable from it's original state in short order!

Thanks for the pics!

Glhad to have you aboard.

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 09:40 AM

Welcome to the forums!

2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Kawasaki Versys ABS, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 08:57 PM

Year/Make/Model: 06 kawasaki vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: redandblack
Garage
That's funny..I love the"cool factor"as well..

"Get on your bad motorscooter and ride" !!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:43 AM

I have also just bought a 96 vulcan 800 yea the cool factor is amazing im falling in love with this bike i recently sold my ninja 250 not as nimble as the ninja but way more in cool factor category i used to zip in and out of traffic lane split now im happy just putting around and relaxing on that big comfy seat
Longshot_34 likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:09 AM

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing a funny moment.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:15 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2019 Vulcan S
Color: Matte Black
Great story and the bike looks cool... can't wait to see the progress of your maintenance and customizations!

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red & Silver
Garage
Welcome from sunny Cairns. Lived in WA & had a 2005 800 Classic up until 2016. Moved up to a Nomad 1700 & to QLD last year. You will love the 800- I still miss it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2005 Classic 800 (sold)

2012 Nomad 1700
Ivanized(2)
RACNRAY throttle mod,Avon Air grips
Vance & Hines slip ons
HD highway pegs
Grasshopper backrest
S/Steel pannier kick guards
Custom lowers
LED running lights
Sponsored Links