Suggestions? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Suggestions?

I posted this in the welcome area with no response, must have been the wrong topic.

I am looking for my 1st bike. I really like the Vulcan 900 line, and have signed up to this forum to learn all I can.

I have co-workers pushing me towards Sportsters and yamahas, but I lean towards the Vulcans and some Hondas. Any suggestions from this forum would be great. I have been riding for a several years just never owned my own bike. I am 6'1" about 215 lbs and the bikes on my short list are as follows (looking at used due to budget).

Kawasaki Vulcan 900
maybe a
Honda Sabre 1100

Any suggestions as to why or why not, or any other bikes will be appreciated. I am planning on riding two up with my wife once I get used to the bike if that makes a difference.

The site looks great and I look forward to your comments.

Thank you.

Mike

All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Banned

The size of the Vulcan was a concern for me when I was looking - I'm 6-4 215lb. I was worried that my legs would get tired. Turns out it's not a problem at all.

WRT the Sabre.... In my opinion it's too clean. It just looks.... like a Honda. Everything is in the right place, it's clean, it's pretty, it's just not... cool. It's like the V-6 Mustang - it looks OK but there's nothing else there to make it bad azz. Just my opinion.

I can't speak to Star, but if you're looking at a Harley make sure you're comparing apples to apples - same year, similar size + features, etc. For example when I bought my bike I paid $5500 for it used with 4300 miles on it. I looked at a used Road King at my local HD dealership with 108,000 miles and they wanted $9400 for it.

Of course I'm biased, but I don't think you can beat the Vulcan for the price.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 PM

I have a 900LT. My 3 complaints are....

Stiff clutch lever.... If you have strong hands with long fingers you will be fine.

High revving when the engine is cold or when you start it up again after fuelling or a coffee stop. It eventually calms down.

Belt is squelchy....

Other than those....the bike has been great. I did a mod for the clutch lever.....which works but resulted in a small friction zone.......

but as yet have not fixed the high revving issiue.

My first bike was a Yamaha V-Star. Shaft drive so no noise....easy to use clutch lever.

The Yamaha was reliable and so is my Vulcan.

Last edited by blues2cruise; 05-30-2012 at 08:22 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Welcome to the forum Mike!

The best bike for you, depends on the type of riding you want to do.

If that includes long distance touring, high speed canyon carving, or a lot of weight above 70 mph for extended periods, then the 900 may not be the best fit.

If you know you want a midsized cruiser, then the 900 is the best on the market.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Top Contributor

Hi Mike!

I am 5'11" about 220 lbs and I've had 2007 900 custom for about 7 weeks.

It is a joy to ride! I love the 5.3 gal tank and over 200 mile range. I had a honda 750 and immediately after getting 900, I felt more confidence due to performance and feeling this bike would suit me better for longer trips. I can't suggest 2-up because I have not tried this yet. It has the power however.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Banned

I concur with the stiff clutch lever. I've had friends and family look at my bike, squeeze the lever and groan. It's not a problem for me but it's stiff.

I ride 2-up occasionally. The engine doesn't know she's on there, but the suspension is a lot smoother. (I would adjust the pre-load down riding solo but it's not worth the headache. )
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Top Contributor

Good ride

The 900 is a large frame bike with the same wheelbase as the big Harleys. There is no shortage of power down low for 2 up riding, but high speed stuff over 75 gets buzzy. I am 6ft and 300ish lbs and my 900C pulls me along fine, and if I need to romp on it a little to keep up with the HD's, I can. The book says the bike will take 400lbs 2 up and I believe it. If you go bigger displacement, the cost rise is incremental. Similar size bikes, Sportster, 950 Yammy, 1300 Hondas, all jump up about $1000 from the Kawi 900s (more for HD). Buy the 900 and be happy
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 AM

I can not speak for the 900 as I have a 1500(and LOVE it), but the Sportsters are good starter bikes. Long rides on them are impossible if you have any kind of back issues though. I had a newer one that was rubber mounted and it still was a rough ride and my back hurt after anything more than about 20 minutes. It was fun and functional but to ride it was a back breaker. Good luck.

'04 1500 Classic
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgguzik View Post
I posted this in the welcome area with no response, must have been the wrong topic.

I am looking for my 1st bike. I really like the Vulcan 900 line, and have signed up to this forum to learn all I can.

I have co-workers pushing me towards Sportsters and yamahas, but I lean towards the Vulcans and some Hondas. Any suggestions from this forum would be great. I have been riding for a several years just never owned my own bike. I am 6'1" about 215 lbs and the bikes on my short list are as follows (looking at used due to budget).

Kawasaki Vulcan 900
maybe a
Honda Sabre 1100

Any suggestions as to why or why not, or any other bikes will be appreciated. I am planning on riding two up with my wife once I get used to the bike if that makes a difference.

The site looks great and I look forward to your comments.

Thank you.

Mike
If I were buying my "first bike" today, knowing what I know, it would probably be the Yamaha 1300. I went with an 1100 Yamaha several years ago as my "first bike" and traded it in 6 months later for my current 1500 Vulcan. The v-star was a good starter bike for me, but a guy your size who already has riding experience and plans on two-up riding this summer--you (and your wife) are going to be disappointed with anything smaller than a 1300. JM2C.

p.s. The Vulcan 1500 is also a fine machine, one that you might also consider.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 2000
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Galaxy Silver
Garage
I had a 08 900 Custom and rode it for 4 years almost to the day and then traded up to the 2K classic. Great bike! VERY nimble and easy to handle. Never rode 2-up so I can't comment on that. But I put 14K miles on it and my ONLY gripe was the high RPM at interstate speeds. I was in the process of purchasing the Scootworks front pulley to solve the issue when I ran across the 2K. For a first bike (and it was my first street bike too) I dont think you could go wrong with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode