LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Displacement/CC's: 649
Color: Black/Green
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Badgerspit
Got my new helmet, quick question

Recently got a new helmet (rode about 15 years ago, just got my new Vulcan S).

I already removed the giant HJC sticker from the front. I was wondering if I could ask the more experienced riders about also removing the DOT / SNELL stickers from the back?

I live in Florida, so we have the "no helmet required" law (for some reason...). I had read somewhere that if you are pulled over, the police can ticket you for not having the DOT certification sticker on your helmet.

1) Does this apply to a state that doesn't even require a helmet?
2) I will ride in Florida 99.9% of the time, at least for a few years while I get used to riding again. Then maybe a trip to the Carolinas, Colorado, Montana...
3) Assuming I won't be doing anything to break any laws/not get pulled over, could I potentially be pulled over/hassled for not having the DOT sticker?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 06:24 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerspit View Post
Recently got a new helmet (rode about 15 years ago, just got my new Vulcan S).

I already removed the giant HJC sticker from the front. I was wondering if I could ask the more experienced riders about also removing the DOT / SNELL stickers from the back?

I live in Florida, so we have the "no helmet required" law (for some reason...). I had read somewhere that if you are pulled over, the police can ticket you for not having the DOT certification sticker on your helmet.

1) Does this apply to a state that doesn't even require a helmet?
2) I will ride in Florida 99.9% of the time, at least for a few years while I get used to riding again. Then maybe a trip to the Carolinas, Colorado, Montana...
3) Assuming I won't be doing anything to break any laws/not get pulled over, could I potentially be pulled over/hassled for not having the DOT sticker?

Thanks all!
Yupper ,can Give tickets for not being Dot approved,,even if it is,no sticker no Dot,Take it from experience depends on the cop
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 06:32 PM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
I think the DOT sticker thing came from riders wearing helmets that didn't meet the DOT requirements. You know the group...wearing Nazi helmets and painted cereal bowls as bike helmets. Also likely from the makers selling helmets as DOT that are not.

Anyway, since you do not have a law requiring helmets be worn you could wear a rubber ducky if you want. Even if that ducky isn't DOT approved.

But for your info I present:

DOT Motorcycle Helmet Labeling Requirements

Labeling requirements are also set forth in Standard No. 218.* These require that the manufacturer label each helmet permanently and legibly with the manufacturer’s name or identification, precise model designation, size, month and year of manufacture, and instructions to the purchaser.
The manufacturer must permanently label each helmet with the “DOT” symbol, which constitutes the manufacturer’s certification that the helmet conforms to the applicable FMVSSs. Standard No. 218 also sets forth the requirements and acceptable locations of these labels.
(The proposed changes address) several issues relating to the enforceability of state mandatory helmet laws and FMVSS No. 218.
The first issue relates to the difficulties that States have had in establishing that some motorcyclists are using helmets that have not been certified to the Federal Standard.
A second issue relates to the inability of some helmet manufacturers to locate the certification label as required by the standard, due to the presence of edge rolls on helmets.
Third, there have been issues relating to determinations of noncompliance in the agency’s own testing of helmets under the guidelines in FMVSS No. 218.

New Proposed DOT Motorcycle Helmet Labeling Requirements

NHTSA is proposing three requirements for helmet certification labeling:
The application of a “DOT” symbol water decal to the helmet beneath clear coating;
Lettering on that decal indicating the manufacturer’s name and/or brand name and the helmet model designation in the space above the “DOT” symbol; and
The word “certified” in a horizontally centered position beneath the “DOT” symbol on that decal.
Size Labeling and Location of the “DOT” Certification Label
The agency is proposing that the required label on helmets be positioned such that the horizontal centerline of the DOT symbol is located between one and three inches (2.5-7.6 cm) from the lower edge of the helmet.
In addition, the agency is proposing that helmets be labeled with a “discrete size,” which will correspond to the appropriate test headform.
Proposals to Aid Enforcement of State Motorcycle Helmet Use Laws
The proposed rule would establish additional requirements for certification labels that would entail processes that are inexpensive for the helmet manufacturer, but would be more difficult and expensive for those who may be producing false “certification” labels.
The new requirements would also help consumers and law enforcement personnel distinguish between certified and uncertified helmets, facilitating the enforcement of state and local helmet laws.
The proposed additional requirements would make it difficult for stores selling misleading “DOT” labels to claim that they did not intend to sell labels indicating certification, but were merely selling “Doing Our Thing” stickers (Some merchants sell “DOT” stickers for novelty motorcycle helmets, claiming that the stickers are not intended to be counterfeit certification labels, and that DOT stands for “Doing Our Thing.”).
It would be difficult to establish a plausible reason if such a sticker would include manufacturing information or the word “certified”.* It would then be clear that any store selling a sticker with the proposed labeling requirements would be selling labels intended to deceive law enforcement officials about whether a helmet is certified.
NHTSA is proposing the use of a water decal for the “DOT” symbol which would be affixed to the motorcycle helmet before the shell’s clear coating is applied.
Additionally, the label would be required to bear lettering indicating the manufacturer’s name or brand name and the helmet model designation in the space above the “DOT” symbol, as well as the word “certified” in a horizontally centered position beneath the “DOT” symbol.
These additional requirements would make production of labels that create the misleading impression that a helmet is properly certified more difficult and expensive, which would both deter the production and sale of such labels and help law enforcement officers enforce state helmet use laws.
For more information and to comment on these proposed amendments, visit the Federal eRulemaking Portal and follow the online instructions for submitting comments.

The proposed rules are in the following document, published in the U.S. Federal Register:

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
49 CFR Part 571
[Docket No. NHTSA-2008-0157]
RIN 2127-AK15
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Motorcycle Helmets
AGENCY: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Department of Transportation (DOT).
ACTION: Notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM).

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 07:52 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhadiator View Post
I think the DOT sticker thing came from riders wearing helmets that didn't meet the DOT requirements. You know the group...wearing Nazi helmets and painted cereal bowls as bike helmets. Also likely from the makers selling helmets as DOT that are not.

Anyway, since you do not have a law requiring helmets be worn you could wear a rubber ducky if you want. Even if that ducky isn't DOT approved.

But for your info I present:

DOT Motorcycle Helmet Labeling Requirements

Labeling requirements are also set forth in Standard No. 218.* These require that the manufacturer label each helmet permanently and legibly with the manufacturer’s name or identification, precise model designation, size, month and year of manufacture, and instructions to the purchaser.
The manufacturer must permanently label each helmet with the “DOT” symbol, which constitutes the manufacturer’s certification that the helmet conforms to the applicable FMVSSs. Standard No. 218 also sets forth the requirements and acceptable locations of these labels.
(The proposed changes address) several issues relating to the enforceability of state mandatory helmet laws and FMVSS No. 218.
The first issue relates to the difficulties that States have had in establishing that some motorcyclists are using helmets that have not been certified to the Federal Standard.
A second issue relates to the inability of some helmet manufacturers to locate the certification label as required by the standard, due to the presence of edge rolls on helmets.
Third, there have been issues relating to determinations of noncompliance in the agency’s own testing of helmets under the guidelines in FMVSS No. 218.

New Proposed DOT Motorcycle Helmet Labeling Requirements

NHTSA is proposing three requirements for helmet certification labeling:
The application of a “DOT” symbol water decal to the helmet beneath clear coating;
Lettering on that decal indicating the manufacturer’s name and/or brand name and the helmet model designation in the space above the “DOT” symbol; and
The word “certified” in a horizontally centered position beneath the “DOT” symbol on that decal.
Size Labeling and Location of the “DOT” Certification Label
The agency is proposing that the required label on helmets be positioned such that the horizontal centerline of the DOT symbol is located between one and three inches (2.5-7.6 cm) from the lower edge of the helmet.
In addition, the agency is proposing that helmets be labeled with a “discrete size,” which will correspond to the appropriate test headform.
Proposals to Aid Enforcement of State Motorcycle Helmet Use Laws
The proposed rule would establish additional requirements for certification labels that would entail processes that are inexpensive for the helmet manufacturer, but would be more difficult and expensive for those who may be producing false “certification” labels.
The new requirements would also help consumers and law enforcement personnel distinguish between certified and uncertified helmets, facilitating the enforcement of state and local helmet laws.
The proposed additional requirements would make it difficult for stores selling misleading “DOT” labels to claim that they did not intend to sell labels indicating certification, but were merely selling “Doing Our Thing” stickers (Some merchants sell “DOT” stickers for novelty motorcycle helmets, claiming that the stickers are not intended to be counterfeit certification labels, and that DOT stands for “Doing Our Thing.”).
It would be difficult to establish a plausible reason if such a sticker would include manufacturing information or the word “certified”.* It would then be clear that any store selling a sticker with the proposed labeling requirements would be selling labels intended to deceive law enforcement officials about whether a helmet is certified.
NHTSA is proposing the use of a water decal for the “DOT” symbol which would be affixed to the motorcycle helmet before the shell’s clear coating is applied.
Additionally, the label would be required to bear lettering indicating the manufacturer’s name or brand name and the helmet model designation in the space above the “DOT” symbol, as well as the word “certified” in a horizontally centered position beneath the “DOT” symbol.
These additional requirements would make production of labels that create the misleading impression that a helmet is properly certified more difficult and expensive, which would both deter the production and sale of such labels and help law enforcement officers enforce state helmet use laws.
For more information and to comment on these proposed amendments, visit the Federal eRulemaking Portal and follow the online instructions for submitting comments.

The proposed rules are in the following document, published in the U.S. Federal Register:

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
49 CFR Part 571
[Docket No. NHTSA-2008-0157]
RIN 2127-AK15
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Motorcycle Helmets
AGENCY: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Department of Transportation (DOT).
ACTION: Notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM).
wow nice research
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode