LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Red
Garage
I feel so wobbly coming to a slow stop

Hi everybody.

I'm pretty new to cruiser riding so maybe I just need some more miles under my belt but I was wondering if anyone else feels so unstable when coming to a slow stop. I'm on a VN1600 Classic and this is by far the biggest heaviest motorcycle I've ever been on. My previous bike was 96 Honda VFR which is more towards the sport bike end of things but even so, it was no lightweight. I know to keep my head up and not look down at the ground and I've checked tire pressures to be sure those are okay. I have no luggage so there's no question of unbalanced loads mucking things up. I did a google search for this problem and ended up on a Yamaha site where folks were discussing this issue and one of the guys says his Dunlop E3's were notorious for being unstable at slow speeds and that changing tires eliminated his problem. I happen to have the same Dunlops on mine. I should also mention the fork springs/fluid and steering head bearings were down within the last 10,000 miles so I think that is all pretty sorted.

I'm willing to accept that I might just need more saddle time on the Classic but was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience and if anything other than simple experience helped eliminate that feel awkward wobbly, unstable feeling when rolling up to stops. Sometime it kind of even tries to make a right turn on me right as I come to halt.
dvictorh and pah like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:37 PM
pah

Year/Make/Model: 09 Vulcan 900 Custom
Color: Burnt Orange
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiloh101 View Post
Hi everybody.

I'm pretty new to cruiser riding so maybe I just need some more miles under my belt but I was wondering if anyone else feels so unstable when coming to a slow stop. I'm on a VN1600 Classic and this is by far the biggest heaviest motorcycle I've ever been on. My previous bike was 96 Honda VFR which is more towards the sport bike end of things but even so, it was no lightweight. I know to keep my head up and not look down at the ground and I've checked tire pressures to be sure those are okay. I have no luggage so there's no question of unbalanced loads mucking things up. I did a google search for this problem and ended up on a Yamaha site where folks were discussing this issue and one of the guys says his Dunlop E3's were notorious for being unstable at slow speeds and that changing tires eliminated his problem. I happen to have the same Dunlops on mine. I should also mention the fork springs/fluid and steering head bearings were down within the last 10,000 miles so I think that is all pretty sorted.

I'm willing to accept that I might just need more saddle time on the Classic but was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience and if anything other than simple experience helped eliminate that feel awkward wobbly, unstable feeling when rolling up to stops. Sometime it kind of even tries to make a right turn on me right as I come to halt.
I am rather new but I seem to be very wobbly with the wife. I have some good stops but more wobbly ones.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
shiloh101 likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:48 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
What tire pressures are you running..?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBagger View Post
What tire pressures are you running..?
I've been keeping things at the factory recommended pressure of 28 front and 36 rear.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:13 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016/Kawasaki/Vulcan S ABS
Displacement/CC's: 649
Color: Urban White
Garage
I feel so wobbly coming to a slow stop

3 thoughts...if tire pressure is not the issue...

1. It will always be more of a challenge 2-up, as it raises the center of gravity.

2. When you stop, make sure your front wheel is as straight as possible...it's more difficult with a heavier bike if you stop w/the front wheel turned.

3. If you're new to larger touring/cruisers a bit of parking lot practice is in order; make some time and find an empty lot and practice stops, departures and low-speed maneuvers solo...then 2-up. It will pay dividends down the road by increasing your safety and confidence.

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Electrical Engineer
2014 HD FLHTK
2013 BMW K1600GTL
2016 Vulcan S ABS
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan 2000
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Metallic Ocean Blue
Shiloh101 -- first off, you are not alone! But rangemaster728 is on the money. I leave the house many times for the express purpose of practicing slow-speed stops. Having spent the past 6 years or so riding Vespas -- with only two hand brakes and no foot brakes -- it has taken some thought, practice, and patience to get back into the foot brake habit. I'm certainly getting there, though. You will, too. I even find myself watching other riders (when I'm stuck in my cage) to see how they come to a stop.

Victor
shiloh101 likes this.

Victor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No borders, just horizons...
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My wife is really eager to do some two-up riding on the Vulcan but I've been putting her off until I feel solid at slow speeds, much to her chagrin. Hence my post here. Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. I've purchased the Ride Like Pro video so I'm going to work my through that and see how things go.

Would the recommendation for tire pressure adjustment be to go up or down?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:03 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
My wife is really eager to do some two-up riding on the Vulcan but I've been putting her off until I feel solid at slow speeds, much to her chagrin. Hence my post here. Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. I've purchased the Ride Like Pro video so I'm going to work my through that and see how things go.

Would the recommendation for tire pressure adjustment be to go up or down?
32 front 36 rear,see how that works,28 is too squishy
shiloh101 likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrider View Post
32 front 36 rear,see how that works,28 is too squishy
Thanks! I'll give that go and see if things improve any.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:38 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
Quote:
Thanks! I'll give that go and see if things improve any.
The tire pressures in your owners manual are based on a single rider weighing approximately 150 lbs. It will tell you in the manual to adjust the tire pressure according to weight and for 2up riding.
I just had Avon Cobras put on my 1500 and the recommended tire pressure from the manufacturer is 40 psi front 42 psi back. Increase your tire pressure until you get the feel you like in the front end. Increase the rear accordingly.
revrider and shiloh101 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode