Rain rain go away - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Rain rain go away

Havn't ridden for a while. Gonna forget erverything I learnt on the MSC. April showers brings May flowers. Well it's May "SO STOP"! I'm either working or it's raining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Dontcha hate it?

We finally get a few days off of the rain and I've been riding. But yeah, April is a cruel month. It's finally consistently warm enough to ride all the time but it won't quite raining long enough to let you! Just teases you!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 AM

Take the opportunity to "learn" about riding in the rain. Better to do it under controlled circumstances than getting caught unprepared later on. Sooner or later you're going to get wet so learn to deal with it now.

When I took the MSF experienced rider course years ago, and recently a trike course, it rained on us most of the day. While I thought it was really bad news at the time it turned out to benefit me.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 AM

Garage
It's been raining here off and on for the last week. My wife and I would prefer not to ride to work on days when it will rain so we don't.

The other nuissance about the spring is the road construction! There is a stretch of about 2 miles on the main highway to work that is all torn up now and almost a death-trap for bikes. We stumbled on it last week when riding in and almost had to change my pants when I got to work.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic
  • Saddleman Profiler Seat
  • Memphis Shades Fats 17"
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM
JtC
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigger View Post
Havn't ridden for a while. Gonna forget erverything I learnt on the MSC. April showers brings May flowers. Well it's May "SO STOP"! I'm either working or it's raining.
If it's raining and not freezing, ride! I rarely let rain stop me from riding as long as it isn't cold too. I just slow down A LOT and thank the Lord for the badly needed moisture.

I DO understand your frustration, though. I LOVE me some sunshine!!!

2010 V2K Classic LT aka "Mr. Spock"
2007 Suzuki S83 -fast, fun, goodbye, good riddance
2005 Nomad R.I.P. Totaled in '07

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CMA#158186
"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." -2 Corinthians 3:17
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgoldwing View Post
Take the opportunity to "learn" about riding in the rain. Better to do it under controlled circumstances than getting caught unprepared later on. Sooner or later you're going to get wet so learn to deal with it now.

When I took the MSF experienced rider course years ago, and recently a trike course, it rained on us most of the day. While I thought it was really bad news at the time it turned out to benefit me.
Not a bad idea. I got on the first course of the year and pictured us riding into snow banks, but turned to have an early if short lived taste of spring. Had beutiful sunny weather, I kinda would have preffered the rain if only for the experiance. Before the (monsoon) season started I was trying to perfect the art of manuvering a busy parking lot. Figure its foolish to go somewhere if you can't control the bike when you get there. Wouldn't hurt to get out and practice in the rain too. Except it gets dark early in the rain and we're on a graduated licensing system and can't do dark riding till late June. I know guys who gave up there position on their courses as they were calling for rain. Shows they just wanted to pass the course not neccesarily learn anything. Maybe I'll comit Saturday rain, or shine.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

I love riding in the rain ... as long as im warm and it does not last for days .. touring coat and pants, over boots, waterproof gloves, the worst thing for me is cleaning the bike afterwards.
Once the greasy stuff is washed off and the roads just wet, not slick, you loose around 8% of your traction ability, cornering angles and speed need modifying to suit the conditions along with balanced front and rear braking.... just stay away from the lane centers (oil ) and painted Lines.

Everybody should do the Riding Course in the rain, it makes riding in the dry just that much easier.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Decided to go out Saturday rain or shine to practice riding in the rain, and the weather was warm and sunny. Went out Sunday, and found out the rain suit works good. Just went out for a short time to see how stopping was effected. Brought the brakes just past threshhold a couple of times at 60 KPH. Didn't notice a great difference. Slowed down considerably on corners. I'll try everything a little quicker next time I'm out in the wet.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigger View Post
Decided to go out Saturday rain or shine to practice riding in the rain, and the weather was warm and sunny. Went out Sunday, and found out the rain suit works good. Just went out for a short time to see how stopping was effected. Brought the brakes just past threshhold a couple of times at 60 KPH. Didn't notice a great difference. Slowed down considerably on corners. I'll try everything a little quicker next time I'm out in the wet.
I always have my rain gear in my saddlebag. I've been drenched in "0% change of precipitation," so I've learned to never completely trust a weather forecast... And I've ridden for hours in steady rain and stayed bone dry. But I don't particularly like it. There are just too many things to think about... Cagers often don't see us when the sun's out; add a sheet of water to the mix, and less maneuverability on our part, and the chances of a crash go up considerably. If I don't have to ride in the rain, I won't. If I have to, I will, but I don't pretend that it's the same game 'cause for me it's not.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewind View Post
I always have my rain gear in my saddlebag. I've been drenched in "0% change of precipitation," so I've learned to never completely trust a weather forecast... And I've ridden for hours in steady rain and stayed bone dry. But I don't particularly like it. There are just too many things to think about... Cagers often don't see us when the sun's out; add a sheet of water to the mix, and less maneuverability on our part, and the chances of a crash go up considerably. If I don't have to ride in the rain, I won't. If I have to, I will, but I don't pretend that it's the same game 'cause for me it's not.
I do the same thing, rain gear in the saddlebag. But I agree, I'd prefer not to. I ride a motorcycle to enjoy it, and I dont enjoy riding in the rain. It's uncomfortable, even if I stay dry, it's hard to see, cagers dont see you, etc.

But it does happen. Weather forecasts can be wrong. I've been in 0% chance showers too! The Midwest is home to the highest paid metereologists and St.Louis had the first ever TV Meterologist (as opposed to just a weatherman who read the weather report from some national center) all because our weather is just so unpredictable.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode