• 1 Post By D-Dub
  • 1 Post By jbest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Yulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Blach/White
Getting Equipped.

Hi I'm a new rider. Just bought my first bike, a new 2015 vulcan classic. 0 kms when it was delivered to my door by the dealer. Love it. Went out and bought 2 helmuts, an open face and a closed face. Bought a proper jacket and boots and a pair of protected gloves. also purchased a crash bar and Wlly and Max Saddle bags to carry my stuff when I go to work. Waited 63 years for this to happen and when I saw this at the dealer and told the wife about it she said to get it if I wanted it. Wow I'm pretty lucky. My son is teaching me how to ride and is pretty strict about the rules and safety. I hope to pass the road test soon. So, just making sure I've got things covered, especially safety and protection for me as well as the bike. Any suggestions ans ideas would be appreciated. I'm an avid off roader with my jeep and SXS (Arctic Cat Wildcat) and I have ridden bikes but that was 35 years ago.
dvictorh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 09:47 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Sounds like you have things set-up very well. Only other thing I'd add would be a decent set of driving lights. I read a story years ago about how people see 1 headlamp coming down the road versus 2 or better yet 3 headlamps. Now, it's been quite a while since I read that story but the just of it was, we have a hard time determining how far away or how fast 1 headlamp is moving. But somehow we can judge speed and distance of 3 headlamps much more accurately.
Since reading that story I've always installed a pair of your standard 4.5" driving lamps. And (knock on wood) I haven't had anybody pull out in front of me since.
And of course, ride like you're invisible
dvictorh likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan 2000
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Metallic Ocean Blue
TheDjay -- first off, welcome to the Forums! I know all too well what it's like to climb on a big ol' bike after 35 years...have just done the same thing myself. Glad your son is strict. If there's an MSF course taught in your area, wouldn't hurt you to take that, too, before your road test, even. Our man D-Dub is really onto something with the driving lights. When I bought my bike, I thought about removing the ones that were on her. I didn't. Now I'm really glad. I simply believe that folks see you better -- day or night -- with the three lights. Now, I might swap mine out for something I find a bit more tasteful but that will be down the road, so to speak. There are other mods I'll make first.

Again, welcome. And enjoy your bike...you, like me, waited a long time to get here!

Victor

Victor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No borders, just horizons...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
Welcome. I had not riden a bike for about 25 years. Started up again about 10 years ago. Sounds like your wife is a keeper, pretty cool. Sounds like you're safety minded so that's a good thing. As others have suggested, take a motorcycle safety course. I'm sure your son can provide most of the training you need but the MSF is great for new and returning riders. Last thing, we need pictures of this new bike. Be safe.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:34 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 vaquero
Color: White
Garage
I like ear plugs, i find the ride more enjoyable with them in. Down side is i can still hear the nagging...
revrider likes this.

2016 Vulcan Vaquero
2012 Vulcan 900 Classic
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:20 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
(Arctic Cat Wildcat)

Welcome in and Really?skidoo baby
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 02:24 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbest View Post
I like ear plugs, i find the ride more enjoyable with them in. Down side is i can still hear the nagging...
I only hear that when I get home.

Mousedroid (newbie)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 09:06 AM

I have been a rider for over 50 years, was a MSF instructor for a short time after retirement and suggest the following: A full face helmet provides better protection and "ATGAT" (All The Gear All The Time) NO MATTER WHAT the temperature or how short the ride. Pretend like everyone in a car is trying to kill you and continue training. Everyone has a different opinion about the MSF programs but after the BRC sign up for the Experienced Rider Course (ERC). Victor also brought up a good point; extra lighting front and back is paramount. I have Skene P3 lights on the back and Photon Blasters on the front of my two other bikes and won't ride without them. Someone on the list posted a beautifully done set of instructions for adding the P3 lights to the rear and I would be happy to send photos and instructions for installing the Photon Blasters to the front.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Welcome from South Texas. If you can swing it, a light bar will give you the visibility your looking for. You'll see better and they'll see you better.

It will also give you that old classic look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140419_180557.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	196906  

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar