need help from others with big feet. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

need help from others with big feet.

I,ve been having problems with low speed turns, I've ridden before, mind you a long time before but had no problem with low speed turning. I took the safety course recently to brush up on techniques and did well. Today after a short ride I realized what,s happening. I start off in 1st gear but when I raise my feet to the boards my heel hits the heel shifter and I inadvertantly shift into 2nd gear which makes it tremendously difficult to maneuver the turn as I either go too fast, stall, or pull in the clutch. I,m wondering if this habit will go away with experience, do you know of a longer heel shifter available, or should I cut off part of my foot. My feet are far to long to fit on board between the heel toe shifter. I,ve got riding friends with Harleys and their heel tow shifters are a good 3 inches further apart than my 1500. I would welceme ideas, and advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
If you don't use the heel shifter . . . cut it off . . .quick, easy & cheap!

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napom View Post
If you don't use the heel shifter . . . cut it off . . .quick, easy & cheap!
I thought of that, tomorrow I,ll see if the toe shifter can be moved upward enough to get my toe under it. I don't know if it's on a spline or in a fixxed position. I looked at the heel shifter today and saw it's held on seperate from the toe shifter with a pinch bolt. Thanks.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigger View Post
I,ve been having problems with low speed turns, I've ridden before, mind you a long time before but had no problem with low speed turning. I took the safety course recently to brush up on techniques and did well. Today after a short ride I realized what,s happening. I start off in 1st gear but when I raise my feet to the boards my heel hits the heel shifter and I inadvertantly shift into 2nd gear which makes it tremendously difficult to maneuver the turn as I either go too fast, stall, or pull in the clutch. I,m wondering if this habit will go away with experience, do you know of a longer heel shifter available, or should I cut off part of my foot. My feet are far to long to fit on board between the heel toe shifter. I,ve got riding friends with Harleys and their heel tow shifters are a good 3 inches further apart than my 1500. I would welceme ideas, and advise.
I have had the same problem with my 900, since the day I got the bike in August, 2010. I still hit the heel shifter once in a while, but over time, I got into the habit of mostly avoiding it. I tend to bring my left foot more forward, up under the toe shifter, when I start off. But, it's a perishable habit that needs relearned if I don't ride much for a few weeks, like in the winter when I can only ride infrequently.

You could cut off the heel shifter. That shouldn't bother anything if it's done cleanly. I haven't heard of any oversized shifters. But, you could cut it and weld in a piece to make the stock shifter longer, if you wanted to go through that hassle.

Kerry

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
You can adjust the shifter so the heal part is below the footboard. If you never use it, that's what I'd do. I don't use mine very often, but when I do I have to make an effort to hit it.

You might also want to adjust the front toe part of the shifter. If it's set too low you'll get into the habit of placing your foot in front of the shifter instead of under it, which will then cause you to hit the rear shifter. I had to adjust mine a few times when I first got my bike--to get my boot to fit under it. Now it goes there habitually.

But you definitely want address this. You don't want to be upshifting and dropping your rpms when you're going into a corner.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I thought of that, tomorrow I,ll see if the toe shifter can be moved upward enough to get my toe under it. I don't know if it's on a spline or in a fixxed position. I looked at the heel shifter today and saw it's held on seperate from the toe shifter with a pinch bolt. Thanks.

That's what I have to do. move the Toe shift up so I can slide my boot under it. now I like the heel toe the first few days of not fitting the boot under and tapping the heel shift makes for interesting riding situationsoften not safe ones either.

08' 900 Classic solar indy yellow
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I did this too a couple of times but I got used to it and stopped that habit.

That said, before I'd cut the heel shifter, I'd take the small bolt off of it, pull it off the splines, turn it back a couple of splines, put it back and and tighten it down. It'll give you more clearance under the shifter for big feet, AND move the heel shifter out of the way. If you've got thick soled boots you should still be able to use the heel shifter.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

This morning I tried to move heel shifter around but couldn't find a good spot for it so I took it off, moved the toe shifter to the outside position and up one notch on the spline now it's perfect. So much easier to make a turn in 1st gear. I didn't think I was that bad a rider. I guess if I had looked a little closer I could have figured it out all on my lonesome. Thanks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Top Contributor

I did the same thing. On the way home with my new 900 I thought the bike was gifting itself into 2nd by itself. Realized after shifting I was pulling my foot back and hitting the rear of the shifter. Thank goodness it only happened once or twice and at very slow speed when in a parking lot. Boy did I feel stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode