went on 1st ride today - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

went on 1st ride today

Took a little putt to get used to the new bike today, going to an 06 1500 classic from a 75 Honda 350, followed by a 31 year hiatous from riding, with the exception of a couple of short jaunts on military KLR's. I love the throttle control on the 1500, on the 350 the throttle had to be half open just to move, and the KLR just touch it and you're half way to Mars. Still waiting for the drifter brake lever. It may be my sasquash feet but I just cannot remeber to keep my foot behind the brake pedal, and evertime time I need to use the rear brake my foot is stuck under it. Other than that I'm still a little cautious on low speed turns due to the weight so I'm trying to do as many as I can find. Weather doesnt look good for the next few days. This is Canada and it's only mid April. We're being spoiled this year as you normally can't get out till mid May. We had hail yesterday and they're calling for snow tomorrow. On a differant subject I see what you guys are paying for insurance, and it's insane up here. The best I could find as I haven't ridden for a while is $1200 a year no collision after 5 years the best I'll be looking at is $900 without collision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 11:16 PM

Welcome to the forum. I recently bought a Vulcan 900 after almost 40 years off, and I'm disappointed with how long it's taking me to get my sea legs back. I recently bought a Yamaha Virago 250 to ride for a little while in order to regain my old skills. Took a MSF course but that wasn't enough. Hope it's going better for you!

Jeff

Vietnam Vet; Combat Infantryman's Badge; Purple Heart w/ Oak Leaf Cluster
Patriot Guard Rider

2007 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Kuryakyn Passenger Floorboards
LeatherLyke Large Cruiser Case; Mustang Seat; Baron pullback risers
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 PM

LOL! Couldn't help but pull the trigger on a Vulcan 800 for a smoking deal! Last time I rode a street bike was 26 years ago back in the USAF and it was a lil ol Honda CM400T. Loved that bike! Well this ol boy is quite the beast, but I think I've almost tamed it. First ride today for about an hour from where I bought it. Yes, I have a lot of practice ahead of me and I'm signing up for the MSC tomorrow! Ride safe brothers and sisters!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 AM

Garage
Congrat on all of you "semi-new" riders! Enjoy!

2011 Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Top bag guards
MP3 adapter
Rear speakers
Mirror Extender/Risers
Trunk Rack
Dunlop E3 160/80HB-16
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
Engine guards
Memphis Shades windscreen
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:11 AM

Progressive- bikers best friend. i have the same bike as you, and pay 350 a year. full coverage, roadside assistance, accessory coverage, and lodging if stranded.

i actually have a 05 1600 classic
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Top Contributor

Welcome back, guys! I too, came home after over 30 years off. That was in August, 2010, when I bought a 900 Classic LT.

It took me a while to really get used to doing slow speed riding, but I found an instructional video called Ride Like a Pro DVD that helped me a great deal. I watched the video a couple of times and then spent 30 to 45 minutes a day, in a local parking lot, practicing the things taught on the video. It only took me a couple of weeks of parking lot practice sessions to be really comfortable on the bike. You can find video clips of that DVD on youtube, if you're interested.

Hope that helps.

Kerry

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Banned

I have CAA and used their service once for my 800 broken belt and once for my car's faulty transmission and once for my trucks broken brake line.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplmmm View Post
Progressive- bikers best friend. i have the same bike as you, and pay 350 a year. full coverage, roadside assistance, accessory coverage, and lodging if stranded.

i actually have a 05 1600 classic
I checked Progressive and they wanted $1438 a year comprehensive only. I tell you they rip the lungs right out of us up here just because they're allowed to. I have no tickets, or claims in 15 years, and no suspensions so it's not my driving record. I know loads of guys up here who've been riding forever and not one are paying under $600. And this is based on a 6 month riding season if the weather cooperates. Welcome to Ontario! If there is anyone on the forum from Ontario who knows of a more affordable coy. I'd love to hear from you.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Top Contributor

Even though I'd ridden for 40 years I too found the Ride Like A Pro video very good. Loaned to me by my Harley riding brother in law. That turn your head thing and look where you want to end up really works.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Even though I'd ridden for 40 years I too found the Ride Like A Pro video very good. Loaned to me by my Harley riding brother in law. That turn your head thing and look where you want to end up really works.
Day 3 of riding for me.....hooked, burnt up 3 hrs and a few bottles of water and practiced the look where you wanna go steady. Glad you got out OP....enjoy your bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode