Two Up - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Two Up

Hi. I am not new to riding. I have been riding sense a kid on dirt bikes and then onto street bikes and last year sold my 1 seater due to some things needed to get paid. Decided to buy another bike this spring and my wife showed some interest. So I got a cruiser. Question is, how to take a newbie passenger and make this work with a newbie two upper? Any advice will be awesome. Should I worry about this at all? Like I said, I have never ridden anyone on a bike before. Should slow me down. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 PM

Garage
Starts and stops are different. Let your wife know that she isn't to "help" steer. Take it easy until you both get used to it & just ride......

2011 Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Top bag guards
MP3 adapter
Rear speakers
Mirror Extender/Risers
Trunk Rack
Dunlop E3 160/80HB-16
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
Engine guards
Memphis Shades windscreen
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Top Contributor

Once you get pass the bumping helmets thing the rest is ez go at her pace dont try to show off

ride safe

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
make sure to tell her not to freak out when you are riding, dont move around so much and just move as one unit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VROC Number: 35103
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Give her the same safety brief I give my wife and kids:

"When I lean, lean with me. Don't move around when we're stopped. If you fall off, wait on the side of the road and I'll get you on the way back."

Seriously, though. I've only rode 2 up a few times, but like GimpyLeg said, starts and stops are different. Just take things slow until you get used to it and you should be good.

Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro
Rear Scootworks OD Pulley
Debaffled stock exhaust
Mustang Wide Touring Seat

USMC
Iraqi Freedom Veteran
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM

When my wife first started riding with me, I told her that once her feet were on the pegs, they need to stay there until we're in a parking spot and I'm turning the bike off.

Lean with the bike and look over my inside shoulder when leaning or turning. If I'm turning left her head should be either directly behind mine or looking over my left shoulder. That keeps the weight of the bike moving toward your turn. If she leans way to the outside or shifts her weight to the outside you could miss your turn... or worse.

My wife likes a sissy bar or luggage case behind her. She is much more comfortable if something is pushing back into her... and I'm not horking around with her on the back. She just likes being able to feel that there's something behind her to help hold her on the bike.

Tell her she can move around quite a bit while you're going faster than 30 mph. She can readjust seating position much easier (for you) while moving. Below 30 mph, she should try to be as still as possible on the back seat.

Once you get into the groove of things, that 30 mph rule can be dropped down to about 5-10 mph. My wife is a master at this now. Once we're rolling I've seen her taking pictures, pointing out the sights, watching traffic, warning me of impending dangers (like a bouncing ball coming down a driveway with a kid chasing it ), taking a drink, offering me one, etc.

Most of all, keep the rides short in the beginning. You can always go for 5 separate 10 mile rides and then call it quits, but if she's done after 30 miles and you're 25 miles from home... well, that last leg of the ride won't be too much fun for you.

Good luck!

Bo
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
If you're counter-steering, as opposed to leaning your body to make the bike turn, then there isn't much need to have your passenger look over your shoulder or lean with the bike (the effect of counter steering will counteract the shifting weight of the passenger). I encourage everyone to understand and practice counter-steering (you're doing it anyway, but knowing that your doing it and knowing how it works gives you tremendous control over your bike.)

Just let them no not to shift their weight much, and avoid sliding around or shifting in their seat. Also, make sure there are verbal cues before mounting/dismounting. If you're stopped and leaning slightly to the left and she decides to go ahead and hop off (shifting all her weight on the left peg to dismount) then your bike has a good chance of going down! Whenever we stop, I always say "go ahead" and she hops off, then I get off. Same with getting on, she'll ask me if I'm ready before she hops on.

It's not so bad, you'll get used to it pretty quick. Just make sure you are comfortable on your bike before you take a passenger, as it will change the dynamics of things.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
If you're counter-steering...
And that's it right there.

But even if you are counter-steering, if your passenger freaks out and leans away from the lean of the bike it will have a tendency to straighten back up.

I had a buddy who passed an exit on the freeway because his passenger leaned away from the off ramp. He obviously wasn't counter-steering, but even if he was it would still be easier with an agreeable passenger.

Bo
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Top Contributor

1. BRAKING DISTANCE! Your bike will react completely differently coming to a stop. That's the number one difference in my experience.
2. When stopped, my wife had a tendency to "wobble" around, adjusting things etc....that's a no-no.
3. I was completely surprised that the bike doesn't seem to be adversely affected as far as accerleration.goes....vtwins seem to handle the extra weight effortlessly.
I can't stress the difference in braking enough though....when u ride solo for a long time you tend to get adjusted to how long it takes to come to a stop....then, all of a sudden it takes twice as long...lol This is my main piece of advice.
Regards, SH.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up

Thanks everyone. I am going to have my wife read this thread. You know how it goes, If I say it she will not like it much. But, if she reads other folks input, most likely, she will listen more better and see the seriousness in it all. Thanks again. I am sure we will do fine and take it slow. Ride safe everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode