Cop Etiquette - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Cop Etiquette

OK. I've only been riding a few months and only about 150 miles so far. The few times I see other riders on the road, most have given me a friendly little wave, and I tried to wave back if my hands weren't busy, and give a nod if they were. So today I was riding around town and saw a bike coming on the other side of the road. My left hand went up for a wave, then stopped when I realized that it was a police cruiser. No big deal. I'm just being friendly. But I'm wondering what's the common etiquette with police cruisers. Should I wave?

'05 Vulcan 500 (EN500)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
When I see the highway patrol on their bikes I wave and they wave back. Can't see any reason why not, they're out there on two wheels havin' a good time and dodging idiot cages just like I am! Same reason I wave to everyone else.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 AM
V2K Rogue Wrangler

My eyes aren't what they used to be, well okay, they never were very good, but I don't ususally realize its a cop until I've already waved and almost passed by them.
I have waved to cops a few times and they never waved back. I think it is fine, shows some camaraderie and there isn't a law against it.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 AM

Garage
I live in Germany, and was surprised the other day when a German police bike waved. Especially because Germans tend for sport tourers, as opposed to cruisers with noisy pipes.

2002 800

Hypercharger and debaffled exhaust.

A Hypercharger is just a fancy airscoop.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 AM

Garage
Why not wave? Cops are people too. Maybe Im a little biased cause I was one for 27 years.
Riders have to have their head on a swivel looking for all the hazards while riding. Police bikes have the same hazards, along with actively looking for violators and monitoring the police radio which is usually going nonstop, so their attention is usually split in multiple directions. Maybe they're responding to a call and while enroute, they're thinking of specifics for when they arrive as to the course of action they might have to take. We're taught to think things out before arrival to a call. It could save a life.
If they don't wave, maybe they're just too occupied otherwise to notice. Then maybe not. There are all kinds (back to "cops are people too") and some can be Aholes just like the general population, but those are not the general rule.

I care more about SPG (smiles per gallon)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
than MPG (miles per gallon)

2009 Vulcan 500 LTD
Scootworks Risers
Slipstreamer Enterprise windshield
Protac driver backrest
Rumble Road speaker system
River Road saddlebags
Priority Plus tail light module
Kuryakyn chrome accessory plug
Kuryakyn ISO grips (6235)with Throttle Boss
JTF512 17tooth sprocket
"Manuel/Vicente" custom engine guard
Hardley highway pegs (freebies)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kfolse107; 03-30-2012 at 08:05 AM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 08:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc95035 View Post
OK. I've only been riding a few months and only about 150 miles so far. The few times I see other riders on the road, most have given me a friendly little wave, and I tried to wave back if my hands weren't busy, and give a nod if they were. So today I was riding around town and saw a bike coming on the other side of the road. My left hand went up for a wave, then stopped when I realized that it was a police cruiser. No big deal. I'm just being friendly. But I'm wondering what's the common etiquette with police cruisers. Should I wave?
They are regular guys and gals who enjoy riding just like we do - give them a wave. If you think motor officers aren't bikers too, then you have never been around any members of the Enforcers MC)

Patriot Guard Rider
Taps Bugler - Bugles Across America
Sons of the American Legion

I spent most of my money on wine, women and motorcycles. The rest I wasted.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
When you wave - just make sure to wave with all five fingers . . . well - at least wave with two as a minimum . . .

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 AM

Well It all depends on the law enforcement in your area IMO. I'm in a MC and I wear my cut everytime I get on the bike..... In my local area I get pulled over min of once a week because they want to screw with me and show me they are there. Where my club is out of the police like us, I never get pulled over, They wave at us.

So in my area I wave with one finger.... where my chapter is I wave and sometimes have very nice conversations if I see them somewhere

ACMC 149 Mojave River chapter
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:29 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
So in my area I wave with one finger....
And you wonder why they keep messin' with you?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 AM

I wave to them. They almost always wave back. I've even had motor cops sitting by the road with radar guns in one hand wave friendly with the other... 'course I'm going legal speed.

Jeff

Vietnam Vet; Combat Infantryman's Badge; Purple Heart w/ Oak Leaf Cluster
Patriot Guard Rider

2007 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Kuryakyn Passenger Floorboards
LeatherLyke Large Cruiser Case; Mustang Seat; Baron pullback risers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode