4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan Classic SE
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Imperial Red/Grey Metallic
Garage
Windshield Riding

I've had my Vulcan 900 Classic for a couple of weeks now - without a windshield. I'm getting the OEM 'short' version and it should be in soon. Now that I'm used to riding without one, I really enjoy it, but wondering now what difference it will make in riding with it on. For example, I know it blocks the wind (and bugs), but does it increase the buffeting when a truck passes?

Mike "TOGR" Guilbault
2016 Vulcan 900 Classic SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 03:36 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Metallic blue/silver
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Biker Dash
It can, depending on the design of the windshield.

2011 1700 Nomad -- "Princess Celestia"
2003 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9 "Nightmare Moon"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 01:32 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Red/gold
Garage
I have a 2009 900 Classic LT with the touring get up. It has a full size factory windshield (which I think is too big as I look through it, not over it) and the wind buffeting was horrible. I was beat to death on a 200 mile ride one day, I mean my glasses were shaking inside my helmet.

I removed it about 2 months ago. I think I put it back on once just to make sure I wasn't imagining it, and yep it came back off soon as I got home. Some people like the factory windshield, but I figure I ride with a full face shield on my helmet so it doesn't matter. Sure, I may get hit with a few more bugs and the occasional rock, but I can deal with that for a smooth ride.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 01:46 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpage86 View Post
I have a 2009 900 Classic LT with the touring get up. It has a full size factory windshield (which I think is too big as I look through it, not over it) and the wind buffeting was horrible. I was beat to death on a 200 mile ride one day, I mean my glasses were shaking inside my helmet.

I removed it about 2 months ago. I think I put it back on once just to make sure I wasn't imagining it, and yep it came back off soon as I got home. Some people like the factory windshield, but I figure I ride with a full face shield on my helmet so it doesn't matter. Sure, I may get hit with a few more bugs and the occasional rock, but I can deal with that for a smooth ride.
I did the same with my 2012 LT. I tried it for a while, but the buffeting was too much. The only real way to beat the buffeting is to buy lowers. They mount under the windshield on the fork tubes. The buffeting we experience is not from the top of the windshield, but underneath it. If you want to keep the windshield, you will want lowers, too. Besides, I rather enjoy not using a windshield. For one, the top was in the wrong spot. Either look over it, or under it. Two, I just don't like the look of them and they reduce fuel mileage.
MikeG likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Top Contributor

With my 900 Classic LT I've found that raising the OEM windshield to its maximum height eliminated the full-face helmet buffeting I had when the windshield was lower. The only problem is that I have to strain to see over the top when it is misty, rainy, etc., since I can't see through the windshield for safe visibility under those conditions.
MikeG and larryinseattle like this.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 07:56 PM

Location: Crescent City Fl formerly Key West Fl -Formerly Detroit - Formerly Canada
Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Dark Burgundy metal flake
Here is an interesting read on which gets the worse buffeting lower or higher windshield
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/4...less-wind.html
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 05:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
I have the OEM. I raised it a couple of notches and it was a little better but now I can see over it. I did find a place local here that can cut down the windshield if needed. I guess pulling the trigger on the lowers is the next step. Now is this only a problem on the 9 or you guys on the bigger bikes having the same problem?

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFISH View Post
I have the OEM. I raised it a couple of notches and it was a little better but now I can see over it. I did find a place local here that can cut down the windshield if needed. I guess pulling the trigger on the lowers is the next step. Now is this only a problem on the 9 or you guys on the bigger bikes having the same problem?
Yeah, it happens on bigger bikes, too. My Dad has A VN1700 and he bought lowers. Says it completely eliminated the buffeting.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 01:27 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Vulcan 900
Color: red and silver
I won't ride a motorcycle without a shield. Yes, there is some buffeting from the low side of the shield. Lowers would help.

I put 12,000 miles on my Goldwing this year traveling in the southwest. Riding 80 mph and in the wind would have been the end of me.

Here is the test. Ride 100 miles without one and then 100 miles with one. Then decide. The looks of the motorcycle shouldn't be the number 1 deciding factor.

Some people will go to great lengths to make their bike "cool." Throw away the fenders and grab some single thin seat, and throw away the shield. It looks like it is going 70 mph on the side stand, but how does it do in the rain?

2007 Kawasaki 900 Lt
2002 Honda Goldwing 1800 ABS
2006 Honda Silverwing 600cc Maxi Scooter
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 11:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN 1500E7
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: green over white
I ride a 1500 Classic with a large windshield that tops out level with the bridge of my nose. I never have buffetting and don't use lowers. I get a nice breeze, but not buffetting. probably has something to do with the angle of the shield, curvature, and size of the rider I suppose.

I put my windshield on two months after I bought it. 70 mph all day with no windshield was murder on my abs and arms. Of course, it's a cruiser so the shield doesn't look bad on it anyway, but in my 45k of riding it, I've been pelted with rocks, sticks, hay, cow urine and crap from cattle trucks, ice cubes from fast food drink cups flung out the window, and lit cigarette butts. I'd never ride without the shield now.
MikeG likes this.

Last edited by Patrick's1500; 10-05-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode