Not if... when. Dropped within a week. :( - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan Classic SE
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Imperial Red/Grey Metallic
Garage
Not if... when. Dropped within a week. :(

I've heard over and over about it's not an if about dropping your bike, but rather when. I was NOT one of those guys that said it won't happen to me, but I was hopeful.

So, I picked up my new bike last Saturday - been riding every day and feeling confident in the handling but know I needed some practice on stopping smoothly. Well, today I left work and about a km away, noticed a strap loose on my jacket. Rather than trying to fix it while riding I decided to pull over. They had just finished some road work on this stretch and there was a paved shoulder to pull off on. I didn't realize though, that the shoulder had quite a slope to it (wasn't there before the roadwork). I stopped and in that same motion the bike leaned to the right - I couldn't stop it and over it went and threw me clear. A quick roll and I was up on my feet again, but the bike was at about a 10 degree angle past horizontal on the slope... shiny side down. I should have seen that - but I was stopped and over before I knew it.

A guy in a truck coming the other way saw me go over and stopped, along with a guy on a bicycle - both big dudes and both offered to help. It took the three of us to right the bike. The right mirror was moved out of position and I scraped the brake lever and brake fluid reservoir. There's a dent in the tank - right by the Vulcan logo with a couple of minor paint chips, but then a bigger chip on top where I believe the handlebar hit it on impact. AND the handlebar is not aligned now.

I didn't see anything leaking or anything broken so started it up - no problem. Checked it over again, dusted myself off and rode home. Friday afternoon before a long weekend - nothing is going to be open again until Tuesday. I feel ok to drive it to a local shop for a check over but don't want to go too far on it before it's checked out by someone who knows more about it than I do.

I feel like an idiot for letting this happen. I knew better but... lesson learned the hard way and it'll cost me too. Just hope it isn't too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MG_Vulcan-IMG_1236.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	173809   Click image for larger version

Name:	MG_Vulcan-IMG_1235.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	173817   Click image for larger version

Name:	MG_Vulcan-IMG_1237.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	173825  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Top Contributor

It's good that the damage isn't worse than it could have been and that you weren't injured. But if parts like the tank must be replaced, unfortunately they can be very pricey.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't believe it needs replacing. The dent isn't very deep.. more like a depression. I just don't want the chips to get worse. I believe the ones on the side are only in the final coat - not very deep, but the one on top will need some work.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 03:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
Ouch. Didn't see this thread till after I posted on your thread about carrying a load. This answers my question about whether you've already got the bike. I dropped my bike backing it out of the garage a few weeks after I bought it. Steep slope and let the bike lean too much on the downhill side. Fortunately I had a friend with me that helped me get it back up. Then a month or two later, riding with same friend I pulled into a parking lot, hit the front brake with a slight turn and went down, in slow motion. All I got was a scratch on my saddle bag cause it popped open and a minor scratch on the crash bars. I hope you get yours fixed up soon without too much expense.
MikeG and dvictorh like this.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm taking it in to a local guy on Tuesday to evaluate the damage. Fingers-crossed that it won't be much. I'm missing some beautiful riding weather, but on the other hand, all the idiots are up for the long weekend and roads are crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike "TOGR" Guilbault
2016 Vulcan 900 Classic SE
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
I don't like to do anything on holiday weekends. Weather here is still a bit hot but better than it has been. But the bike and boat will stay in the garage till all the weekenders are gone. Let us know what the local shop tells you. Good luck.
MikeG likes this.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well my handlebar was bent. Handlebar, grip, check and tighten cables, etc., and installation was under $300. The cosmetics are going to cost a little more - maybe $4-500 when all said and done. Expensive lesson, but lesson learned. But.. since then, I've added another 2500kms on the dial so enjoying it to the fullest.

Mike "TOGR" Guilbault
2016 Vulcan 900 Classic SE
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN 1500E7
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: green over white
It can happen to anybody. Last summer, to avoid a signal light with a long line of motor homes and 5th wheels (lots of tourists in North Idaho in the summer) I turned onto a side road and was going to go around it. Just as I was making the second turn, a right-hand turn, I saw the sand covering the intersection. You couldn't see it until right on top of it. Fortunately, I was already going slow, and just as I was almost stopped, the front wheel went out from under the bike and if simply fell over. I bonked my head off the pavement (thank you, helmet!), hit my knee and jammed my elbow, which in turn tore a bunch of tiny muscles on my vertebrae. The bike suffered only a bent mirror shaft and a small scuff on one of the highway pegs attached to the crash bar and one on a saddle bag. Others saw it and helped me stand the bike back up, and couldn't believe it wasn't worse after they saw the sand, which looked just like the grey pavement. The bike ran fine after.

This happened after I have been riding most of my life and have put 45,000 miles on this particular bike. My old riding buddy, whenever anyone said "I've never put a bike down", used to say
"YET- which stands for 'You're Eligible Too.' "
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Well my handlebar was bent. Handlebar, grip, check and tighten cables, etc., and installation was under $300. The cosmetics are going to cost a little more - maybe $4-500 when all said and done. Expensive lesson, but lesson learned. But.. since then, I've added another 2500kms on the dial so enjoying it to the fullest.

Good job pulling over to fix the loose stuff, sorry about the bad location
On the other side of the coin, your baby got scratched bad, ......but You didn't... Thats a good thing.
Now you can see how fast sh-happens with out the full lesson

You never see a bike parked outside a psychiatrist's office

07 Vulcan 900 custom,
96 VS800 Intruder,
01 1200 HD Sporty...
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 10:31 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Color: Gray & Black
Yeah I know the feeling - I dropped mine 2 weeks after I got it (april 2016)... broke off the right mirror.. lol I didn't dent my tank but its scratched.. I call it a rider war wound... growing pains. It's the reason I put the engine guard on... which ironically came in handy as I clipped a curb with the damn guard (right side) and fell over on the left side... engine guard saved my bike but is bent in..... New engine guard is coming tomorrow ($220) and my guy is going to install it for me tomorrow (thank God he's a mechanic and builds bikes). I'll have my regular mechanic give her a good look after the holidays when I get my oil changed

Last edited by MsLola13; 12-20-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode