7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan Classic SE
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Imperial Red/Grey Metallic
Garage
New Rider New Bike

I'm a new rider (but a late comer), took the course and now have my M2. I know the arguments about buying an older bike first, but have decided for many reasons to purchase new and looking specifically at the Vulcan S. It 'fits' me the best of any bike I've sat on which for me is the most important thing, but I also like it's looks, etc.

That being said, I am very new, and although I passed the course just fine, I'm nervous about picking up the new bike and riding it home (about 20km). I'm in a rural area and only have a couple of stop lights to get through and then open road til home. Nothing really scary but hopping on and leaving the dealership lol.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 07:25 AM

Color: Red
Garage
As another relatively new rider, I say just do it. Once you are on the road you will be surprised at how natural it all feels, hopefully. And based on the rural nature of the journey, it will be over before you want it to be.
MikeG likes this.

Gone are the days we stop to decide where we should go, we just ride.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Do as the MSF taught you. Clutch walk the bike in the dealer lot to get a feel on how it performs and grabs, graduate to slow speed runs, shifts and turns.
MikeG likes this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys. I like the 'just do it' suggestion. That's how I decided to get into riding in the first place... no excuses, just do it!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 06:04 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Welcome in and just Ride,b safe but just Ride,mite in another state before ya know it
MikeG likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:34 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Blue Silver
Garage
If there is a parking lot, near the dealers, and it is not full (that is there is plenty of open space) go there and practice starts and stops and turns. Do this until you are comfortable with the controls and then ride home. Try not to over think things.

Dave Petrick
Vulcan Nomad 1600
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll scout it out ahead of time to see if there's a 'practice arena' nearby. You're right about the over-thinking though. thanks.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I'm a new rider (but a late comer), took the course and now have my M2. I know the arguments about buying an older bike first, but have decided for many reasons to purchase new and looking specifically at the Vulcan S. It 'fits' me the best of any bike I've sat on which for me is the most important thing, but I also like it's looks, etc.

That being said, I am very new, and although I passed the course just fine, I'm nervous about picking up the new bike and riding it home (about 20km). I'm in a rural area and only have a couple of stop lights to get through and then open road til home. Nothing really scary but hopping on and leaving the dealership lol.

Any advice?

I felt the same way two months ago. I trailered my vulcan s home from the dealer cause I did not want my first ride to be 70 miles on the interstate. Once I got her home, I took short 5 to 10 mile rides until I felt comfortable. It took me a month to get over the nervousness but now I look forward to going for a ride. Take your time and you'll be riding like you've being doing it all summer in no time. Good luck.
MikeG likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If I had to go that far, I'd probably have it delivered. But there's two stop lights, a flashing red and all in a rural area. Like G Man said... "just do it".
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 10:34 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan Classic LT 900
Color: Blue/Silver
i second Dpetrick

It had been 10 years since i had been on bike, did not take safety course so took bike to a parking lot and rode circles, stops, turns until i felt good. I wish it had been a rural ride home! Suburbs are probably the most dangerous place to ride. I think the highway is safer! But did make it home and then was paranoid about my first ride to work. It just takes time to get comfortable. Remember: the most accidents happen within 6 months of new bike. This will keep you humble if you keep that in your mind. Watch You tube videos on Motorcycle accidents...do search and watch them all! Teaches you what not to do and what to look out for...probably learn something they did not teach in class. You will be fine and welcome and enjoy the new bike...awesome choice!!
mredlancelot and MikeG like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode