Advice after dropping your bike - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Advice after dropping your bike

The Vulcan 500 is my first bike and I love it. I'm still a fairly new rider, so sometimes I still make dumb mistakes like stalling my bike by letting the clutch out too fast.

Anyways, over the weekend, I dropped my bike for the first time. I stalled while trying to go into a turn and I lost control. THANKFULLY both myself and the bike survived the incident without a single scratch (i let it down as lightly as i could)

But after the experience, i was a little shaken so i just rode home, which i regret because I hear that its important to get back on your bike ASAP after dropping it so your confidence doesnt erode.
I'm a little nervous about getting back on it. Does anyone who has been in a similar situation have some stories to share/advice on how to get over the intitial jitters of riding after dropping your bike?

Last edited by malinda; 09-28-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:15 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue & Silver
Pick it up. Ride. Practice. After my first drop I spent about three hours in a local parking lot doing figure 8's and circles.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K
Displacement/CC's: Plenty
Color: Pearl-titanium
Garage
Exactly what wayfare said, practice practice practice.. The MFS course is only a few miles from where I work, (parking lot) I go there after work on the weekends probably couple times a month, and usually have the entire place to myself, take your time and enjoy the ride.
malinda likes this.

Co0ter V2K

2007 V2K Classic LT
Cobra pipes
Cobra fatty highway bars
Kuryakin pegs
Double Darkside
Poncho Villa custom backrest
Patriot Gaurd Rider

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:47 AM

Malinda,

+1 Pick it up. Ride. Practice. After my first drop I spent about three hours in a local parking lot doing figure 8's and circles.

I would have to agree practice, practice, practice. I would have to say for me 90% of driving a car, bike, bicycle etc is muscle memory.
So there is a huge value to going over MSF course foundations as often as possible until you're more confident. Look into an engine guard. It will help protect the handle bars, mirrors, and tank if you do have a slip up. And, it will make it easier to pickup.

Ron
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
As stated above, you gotta get back on the horse or you may never ride again. Parking lots or empty roads, (back roads, neighborhoods, etc)
Get back on that bike ride slow and easy get used to the feel of the bike again. Stay away from other traffic if possible and build your confidence up.

Someone much wiser than me once said, there are those that have dropped their bikes and those that will drop their bikes.
Realize now that you are a member of the former group. Pull yourself up by your boot straps and conquer the fear and hesitation that comes with recovering after a spill. I am glad you were not hurt and that your bike wasn't damaged. Ego hits keep us humble. Wear the gear you wear, ride safely and file that event away as just part of the price for riding a motorcycle.

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent

Last edited by Dean; 09-28-2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
Malinda,

+1 Pick it up. Ride. Practice. After my first drop I spent about three hours in a local parking lot doing figure 8's and circles.

I would have to agree practice, practice, practice. I would have to say for me 90% of driving a car, bike, bicycle etc is muscle memory.
So there is a huge value to going over MSF course foundations as often as possible until you're more confident. Look into an engine guard. It will help protect the handle bars, mirrors, and tank if you do have a slip up. And, it will make it easier to pickup.

Ron
Thanks for the advice on the engine guard, I didn't even know those existed. Have you ever used one before? It seems like it might take some getting used to when shifting gears and breaking!
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dean, that is great advice!
Z-Rider likes this.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 09:53 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan Nomad
Color: Blue/Silver
Garage
I've been riding 4 years and have dropped my Suzuki 4 times over that time period, as recent at last spring. The last time was exactly as you describe, I tried to start out in second gear and choked the bike while trying to make a U-turn on a dead end road. I had a passenger (wife) with me and I launched her off the back too. The Nomad has a gear indicator, so that shouldn't (hopefully) happen again.

I'm also self taught, and have developed a lot of bad habits I'm trying to break. One thing that helped me a lot was the Ride Like a Pro video. I haven't dropped my bike since watching the video. I'm much more conscience of where my front wheel is pointed before I use the front brake.

So, don't stop. As others have suggested, go to a parking lot and practice slow speed riding. The Ride Like a Pro video has a lot of practice exercises you can do to make you much more comfortable with slow speed handling. I bought mine off Ebay for 29.99. It's worth it. Your local library might even have a copy.

Jody

2011 Nomad
New to me on 8/22/15 with 7k miles (Sold)
2003 Suzuki Volusia
New to me 8/11/11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 11:49 AM
Living The Dream

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by malinda View Post
Thanks for the advice on the engine guard, I didn't even know those existed. Have you ever used one before? It seems like it might take some getting used to when shifting gears and breaking!
Practice is all well and good! But I have to ask, Have you taken the MSF course? If not, it is highly recommended! Probably a little late in the season (depending on where you're at) to get registered this year. But come Spring it should become a high priority.
JMBrad likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loving My Mid-Life Crisis!

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
1991 Harley Electra Glide Classic FLHTC
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:13 PM
BOTM Winner
February 2016

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vaquero
Color: Metallic Black
Garage
Everyone is going to lay it down at some point. It happens...learn from the situation and hop back on!
OneBadBadger likes this.

CaptKurt
Secretary
Temecula Valley Vulcan Riders, chapter 1-22

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapaters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode