Driving exam course layout? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Driving exam course layout?

I have my permit but want to take the driving exam to get my full missouri motorcycle license. Does anyone have a link to a site that describes the course layout so I can simulate it and practice before my exam? I have to take off work to take the exam and want to make sure I pass it the first time, to avoid missing work twice! I have done some searches, but havent found anything online. Any help would be appreciated!

2007 Vulcan Nomad 1600 Black and CHROME!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by viiper5 View Post
I have my permit but want to take the driving exam to get my full missouri motorcycle license. Does anyone have a link to a site that describes the course layout so I can simulate it and practice before my exam? I have to take off work to take the exam and want to make sure I pass it the first time, to avoid missing work twice! I have done some searches, but havent found anything online. Any help would be appreciated!
Anyway to go watch them do the course and re-create at home?

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Anyway to go watch them do the course and re-create at home?
Not really... They only do the exams on Thursdays, and im told there are very few motorcycle driving exams given if any, each week. I cant take off work to go wait for someone to show up and take the exam... I may just have to give it a try. If I fail the first time, then I will know the expectations and practice for the next time... Just dont want to miss work any more than I have too...

2007 Vulcan Nomad 1600 Black and CHROME!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Quote:
Not really... They only do the exams on Thursdays, and im told there are very few motorcycle driving exams given if any, each week. I cant take off work to go wait for someone to show up and take the exam... I may just have to give it a try. If I fail the first time, then I will know the expectations and practice for the next time... Just dont want to miss work any more than I have too...
The course varies from state to state. I took the course that the state of MN approves thru the MSF course. I put this phrase, "typical motorcycle exam course layout" into google and found youtube videos and PDF layouts of courses in CA, Virginia and others. Perhaps they can at least give you some ideas on how to practice and what to expect.

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
The MSF course here in Mass. gets you the license at the end of the 2-day course (if you pass). No need to go to the registry and take another exam. My license came in the mail a few days later.

I see you're riding a 1600 Nomad. That's a big, heavy bike for an inexperienced rider... Learning how to safely ride these things takes time (and knowledge, which is why half of the MSF course is in a classroom). If you don't take that time, it will cost you...

Take it from someone who lost nearly 2 years of work after a crash: Take the MSF course. It'll be the best time and money you'll spend on this part of your life. JM2C.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
I went to the DMV and practiced on the painted lines course. I purchased the SC driver's manual and it had pictures and descriptions of how the test would be administered. Just did this last week. Of course each state probably has a different test, but this is how I got an idea of what to expect.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
I went to the DMV and practiced on the painted lines course. I purchased the SC driver's manual and it had pictures and descriptions of how the test would be administered. Just did this last week. Of course each state probably has a different test, but this is how I got an idea of what to expect.
I did a similar thing when I lived in IL. I took the written test and passed. The motorcycle book at the DMV had a course layout in the back. I would go up on Monday's when they were closed and ride the course a few times. I got to where I could almost do it with my eyes closed. After a couple of weeks doing that, I went in and took the driving test. I was in and out in under 20 minutes with my new DL.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 03:50 PM

Bike DL test

I live in WV and i rode bikes when i was younger, you didn't have to take the course. You could be "Grandfathered" in and i decided that i probably would not have another bike so i didn't get the MC license. A couple of years later i bought a Yamaha Virago 920 and to get my license i now needed to take the course. That was the best thing i did, it help me with a new understanding of how to ride safely. I did pass the course the first time but there was a couple that didn't. So take the time and learn the bike and how to ride safely. It could mean your life or somebody else's.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Hey viper,

I got my license last year here in Missouri. So maybe I can be useful for once! haha

I'm going to attempt to recall everything I did:

The first thing was to drive forward at 15 miles per hour (and they will time you to make sure your speed is up where it needs to be), then slow down and make a 90 degree left turn, followed by a second 90 degree left turn, then you'll need to stop on a 'T' that's painted on the asphalt, with the tire lined up on it.

The next thing (I think) is the stop test. They'll make you run that same U-Turn again (but they won't time you or anything), but then you have to come back down the line, again at 15 mph, then as soon as you cross this line, you have to hit the brakes. If you brake before crossing the line you fail, or if you brake after crossing the line but fail to stop within a certain number of feet, you fail this section. I had a little trouble with this because I was afraid to lock up my brakes. But, the nice thing was, it taught me I needed to practice braking more. Also, in the instructions they tell you that you won't lost points for skidding or locking up the brakes on this section, but obviously you're better off if you can do so without locking them up, because at 15 it ain't so bad, but 55+...

Then the cone weave! You will have to weave through a bunch of cones, then turn around come back and stop on the line. The cones are a little father apart than parking spaces at a typical parking lot. The best way to practice this, is pretend there is a cone at the edge of each line in a parking lot and weave in and out of there. Master that, and you can master the cone weave. On my 900, I found that it wants to go a little too quick to do the cone weave nicely, so I found the best way was to pull the clutch in when entering the turn, then release the clutch while going to the right of the next cone, clutch in to go to the left of the next, clutch out to the right of the next, so on and so forth. Like I said, master it in a parking lot, and it'll be a cakewalk on the exam.

Finally, the swerve. Counter-steer swerving is probably the only way this can be done. There are two lines in front of each other:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>_________________

It kinda looks like that (minus the chevrons, those are just there to keep the formatting in tact), you'll cross one line (cones on both sides of each lines) then have to cross the second line WITHOUT hitting the cones, AND, you have to get up to 15 miles per hour before crossing the first line.

Finally, MSF! The only reason I didn't (at first) was scheduling conflicts meant I couldn't do the MSF until later, and I already had my Vulcan, and I just couldn't wait to ride! And, granted I could ride with a permit, but my insurance puts a nice hefty premium on permit riders (plus, in MO, you have to renew that permit every 6 months AND it's a separate permit you have to keep track of. With a full M, it's just an endorsement on your regular drivers license and doesn't expire until your license does, so it costs less to keep up with!), so it saved me money until I took the MSF. I was able to practice enough to pass the test, but, the MSF gave me skills that really helped me master real-world maneuvers, not just practice to pass a test. I HIGHLY recommend the MSF course.

Finally, the only restrictions on Missouri's tests are two-wheel or three-wheel. So, any two-wheel motorcycle will give you a full 'M' endorsement that you can use on a bigger bike. The course is tight, and fixed. Some states adjust the course to fit the bike (like the cone weave being 1.5x the length of the bike, it WAS NOT for me and my 900), Missouri doesn't. While I would personally recommend mastering the test on your motorcycle so that you are confident and safe on it, one option is to borrow a smaller bike (like a Ninja 250 or something) to take the test on. Just throwing that out there since you are riding a 1600 and you might find the course a little difficult. Some might say if you can't pass the test on your own bike then you need more practice anyway, but, you know, throwing that out there.

Good luck!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 01-17-2012 at 09:54 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewind View Post
TheMSF course here in Mass. gets you the license at the end of the 2-day course (if you pass). No need to go to the registry and take another exam. My license came in the mail a few days
Take it from someone who lost nearly 2 years of work after a crash: Take the MSF course. It'll be the best time and money you'll spend on this part of your life.
Bingo! Do it!

not another boring list of mods;
14 guzzi v14, 14 Injun chieftain v18, 13 guzzi v7, 12 hardley 48
07 kaw v2k, 07 guzzi v11, 07 yam v17, 07 96ci 'lectraglide
06 88ci superglide, 05 hardley 883, 05 yam v17
04 zooki sv1k, 03 guzzi v11, 02 kaw v15
01 Honda 750, 00 hardley 883, 84 Honda v7 supermagna, 99 hardley 883
92 zooki v8 sport, 88 zooki 650 thumper, 84 Honda 500 thumper
80 Honda 360t, 78 Honda cb500f, 75 Honda cb750f
73 Honda cb500f, 73 Yam TX750 blow up bike, 72 Honda cb350t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement